Don't even know where to start

/ Don't even know where to start #21  
You would be disappointed with a 8N/9N..non live PTO.If buying used buy something newer with a live PTO and power steering.If going new...check with local dealers and your neighbors(see what they are useing).Also local dealers may have some good trade-ins.Lots of tractors for sale on Craigs List also.

the non live pto isn't a huge issue.. you can still buy new machines with non live pto.

the lack of live hyds on the other hand is virtually a deal killer IMHO>

I don't even look at fords under 53.. and usually not under 1955.

a nice 00/01 series 4 cyl ford from 55-64 will be head and shoulders above an N.. options like live pto and all with live hyds if not deleted... and can be had in that same price range as an N. ie.. 2000-3000$

/ Don't even know where to start
SG, I seem to see more of the mid-seventies vintage 3000 and 4000 on craigslist and they seem to run into the $5k $6k range. It's allot more tractor than the 8n or Ferguson TO 3x. Service is probably allot easier...there's a guy in town that does tractor house calls. Besides the bush hog I'm not sure what kind of attachments you can put on one of these. I suppose an FE and maybe a back hoe?

Boggen, My neighbor on the one side runs a seed farm (potato and wheat) He's running old Farmalls mostly. He expressed some interest in renting. He knows the property and how it's been tilled in the past. I'm not sure I want that right now, but it's always an option I suppose. I've had one other offer from someone on the other side of town as well. I'd prefer to just hay the fields for now though. The last cut was in mid- July of 2010 and this year especially the hay came back really clean. I think I'll get some bites if I hang in there

/ Don't even know where to start #23  
servicing a 4 cyl is arguably easier than a small 3 cyl.. and deffinately easier than a large 3 cyl

/ Don't even know where to start #24  
I am going to be odd man out here and recommend something like a Ford 4000 or a Massey 135 with a FEL. Should be able to do it for about 5000. Either will run a big enough rotary mower to save time cutting all that hay, Although about as large physically as you would want to go, you could still get into the woods with them. May be a bit on the large size for yard work,but as long as you are not working around a lot of landscape features still usable.
Both are very good tracters and though dated are easy to work on and parts and service are readily availble.

servicing a 4 cyl is arguably easier than a small 3 cyl.. and deffinately easier than a large 3 cyl

I wasn't very clear in my earlier post but what I meant was that my sense of it is ...servicing an older Ford is likely easier and maybe less costly than a newer compact tractor e.g. Kubota, JD, Massey, NH.... Are attachments for the 2000/3000/4000 still available....e.g. FE loader, box blade, york, rotary cutter, backhoe? TIA

I am going to be odd man out here and recommend something like a Ford 4000 or a Massey 135 with a FEL. Should be able to do it for about 5000. Either will run a big enough rotary mower to save time cutting all that hay, Although about as large physically as you would want to go, you could still get into the woods with them. May be a bit on the large size for yard work,but as long as you are not working around a lot of landscape features still usable.
Both are very good tracters and though dated are easy to work on and parts and service are readily availble.

With google I can do allot of things ..but I haven't done any tractor repairs. There's a guy in town that has a repair shop and I understand he makes house calls.

diesels seem a buck or two more than gas... in general would you prefer a diesel over gas?

/ Don't even know where to start #27  
Hi Keegs

Congratulations on the nice looking garage! Good luck with your tractor shopping too. I don't have any concrete suggestions, though I did go back and read the beginning of this thread and noticed the 60 acres of timothy. Even with a 6' bush hog, that will take a while especially if you only cut it once per year. It will be thick and that takes some power for a wide mower. Of course, if you don't mow rocks and stumps like I do, your blades will have an actual cutting edge--which does help :laughing:

Any ways, given that you have a life beyond that field, I wouldn't go smaller than a 6' mower, 7' or 8' would be even better. Hope that helps you size the tractor.

I took a quick look at actual hay cutters on machine finder, but they look pretty pricey. It might be an option if a neighbor has an old one they have outgrown. Cut with one of those, the timothy would be bale-able at least. If you stir it with a tedder, maybe someone would bale it. That's probably a long shot if you aren't there every day during hay season though. You have to cut and tedd it in sync with the weather over several days and you have to do it when it's ready.

Hey Dave...nice to chat with you again...hope all is well.

You raise a good point about the density of the grass factoring into the required HP to cut it. My sense of it is that that's more of a concern during June and July than say in August and Sept. Am I on to something?

What I also have to learn is how timing the cut impacts its value as a product, its annual cycle and the animal habitat that it attracts.... I'm sure there's lots going on there.

I'm not gearing up to produce a product...maybe if we wind up moving up there full time.... but for now I'm thinkin I shoul just try to keep the fields (the hay) in halfway decent shape.

Is a hay cutter the same thing as a sickle bar cutter?

/ Don't even know where to start #29  
Sickle bar mower would be for cutting production hay although some folk do bale after a rotary. Sickle works good on pond banks also,if you don't get too brave. How long has the neighbor been taking hay off it? Field needs inputs every several years or you get weeds and it would be mostly non-salable. Trying to hay it yourself would cost a lot,from probably $8000.00 dollars in equipment which would be old and prone to break downs. I would just bushog it three times a year and call it good.

/ Don't even know where to start #30  
I wasn't very clear in my earlier post but what I meant was that my sense of it is ...servicing an older Ford is likely easier and maybe less costly than a newer compact tractor e.g. Kubota, JD, Massey, NH.... Are attachments for the 2000/3000/4000 still available....e.g. FE loader, box blade, york, rotary cutter, backhoe? TIA

since most of the items you mentioned are common 3pt items.. then yes.. cat 1 and 2 3pt implements are commonly available.

as for fel.. yes.. you can get fel's that mount to the ford series machines..