Don't even know where to start

/ Don't even know where to start
Thanks Pitch...I was looking at an older Ferguson TO 30 a few months back and had the opportunity to drive it around some. It had the unsynchronized trans and so I understand now what that's about.

/ Don't even know where to start #52  
Thanks Soundguy...did you mean that if I decided I needed diamond tread at some point that I'd need to replace the rims and the tires? View attachment 275539

One more q ..if you would...according to tractordata.com the 2k has a non-synchronized trans. Not sure if that's the only trans it was sold with... do you? I've never owned a car with an auto trans but all were synchronized manuals...Any insights about the unsychronized trans...is it for pulling heavier loads? ...is it an economy trans?

you CAN get turfs for 28" rims.. bit most I see are on 24" rims. I DO have both... just keep in mind turfs cost more. if you ever think you may want ag tires.. stick to 28" rims .

as for the trans.. in a 2000 65+ you could get a 4spd, a 6 spd twin stick, an 8spd twin stick or a 10spd sos. the sos is a full powershift tranny with independent pto. the twin 8 and twin 6 could be live pto depending upon spec, and would have a dual clutch if live pto. the 4 spd is basic, non live pto. the 4-6-8 are non synchro as mentioned. select a gear and go.

soundguy

Thanks...I'll be sure to take this info with me on Saturday...

Is there a rule of thumb on the number of hours of service you can expect from a tractor? I've heard 5000 hours. I imagine you get less out of a gas tractor than a diesel?

/ Don't even know where to start #55  
Many tractors out there that have over 10K hours and running strong. All depends on how it was maintained. I would agree and expect less hours from a gas engine.

MarkV

/ Don't even know where to start #56  
as long as a tractor is taken care of theres no telling how meny hours you can get out of it.

thanks Gents...That makes sense..

/ Don't even know where to start #58  
going disagree some with soundguy with tires. tractor tires, can get rather expensive more so the rear tires, when the tire starts loosing tread. you really start loosing a lot of traction. you are working in soft soils and not in the concrete jungle of a city. and on paved roads. and longer those treads stick out form tire, more likely more traction you will get.

AG tires (R1's) generally require smaller size width rims. vs turf or loader (R3's) it is more likely you can swap tire types between turf and R3 tires. vs swapping anything but R1's for R1's without getting a different set of rims.

dry rooted and/or cracked tires with 50% tread left on tires. on a old use machine, i would have to most likely pass on. due to cost of tires may be more than what you paid for the used machine. or less you are fairly mechanically inclined and will be keeping the tractor for good amount of years to come. were getting new tires would more likely pay for themselves.

with being in maine, if my remember is working correctly, you get descent snow every year, and those turfs, tires to me would be ice skating, and no traction, you also mentioned 20 acres of woods, dealing with driveway, and other things. it is all those odd jobs, and getting in soft soil and muddy conditions, that turf tires, *shakes head no*. see about finding a tractor with R1's or R3's on the rear end. the fronts, if possibly might go with a 2 or 3 ribbed tire, vs a generic turf tire on front. 2 or 3 ribbed tire, will bite into mud when ya go to turn, vs having skies on the front and just keep sliding forward in the mud. if you looked at some old field only tractors you will more likely see the 2 to 3 ribbed tires on the front.

Thanks Boggen....makes sense...I'm just getting started on this. I'm in no rush. It so happens there's three 2000's and a 3000 for sale on the local craigslist here in the NJ area that I'll be looking at over the next week or so. Once I've had the chance to look them over I'll write back on the details...Hope to read your perspective again.. Cheers.

/ Don't even know where to start #60  
Is there a rule of thumb on the number of hours of service you can expect from a tractor? I've heard 5000 hours. I imagine you get less out of a gas tractor than a diesel?

not enough data in that post to make a good assumption.

I would 'guess' you should get at least 4000 hrs out of a smaller tractor.. say compact in size.. perhaps 45hp and down.. and a utility and ag.. 50 and up.. upwards of 10k. not uncommon to see old iron from the 60's and 70's with 12k on them and going ok.

most of the time , the care and maintenance the machine has seen matters more than hours. also types of use and abuse.

an unskilled operator can ruin a clutch in 30 minutes of use.. or that clutch might survive 60ys of correct usage..