Don't even know where to start

/ Don't even know where to start
not enough data in that post to make a good assumption.

I would 'guess' you should get at least 4000 hrs out of a smaller tractor.. say compact in size.. perhaps 45hp and down.. and a utility and ag.. 50 and up.. upwards of 10k. not uncommon to see old iron from the 60's and 70's with 12k on them and going ok.

most of the time , the care and maintenance the machine has seen matters more than hours. also types of use and abuse.

an unskilled operator can ruin a clutch in 30 minutes of use.. or that clutch might survive 60ys of correct usage..

OK...and it assumes the hours reading on the meter is accurate.

I looked at a Ford 2k this afternoon. Judging by the way it started and the sound of the motor at various RPM's, it seemed pretty good. Everything worked. It had a new battery and a fairly new muffler. The motor oil looked dirty and the fenders were begining to rust through where they attach to the tractor frame. The owner said he replaced the head gasket just after he bought the tractor. (he may have mentioned that it was sold with a bad head gasket...but don't remember that for sure) The hydraulic pump was leaking a little and when I pointed it out, he said he'd fix it. The rear turf tires had allot of tread on them ....they looked like they hadn't been used much...there was some minor looking dry cracking going on. He told me the rears were about 8-10 years old and that he purchased them for his uncle. The front tires may have been origninal ..they looked like the standard front ag tires. The 6' Ford finish mower looked OK, although it could use a painting. He said that he also purchased the mower for his uncle. He replaced the mower belts and the blades recently.

He said the original owner was a local board of education and that it was used for cutting grass. He said he purchased the tractor about 10 or 12 years ago for his uncle who also used it for cutting grass on his property. The owner is a mechanic for the local municipality. He said he'd take less than the $3k asking price. I didn't make an offer.

/ Don't even know where to start #62  
i'd say you missed out on a really good deal.

that's probably 1000-1500$ cheaper than you normally see for a 3 cyl.. if it was a 3 cyl... if it was a 4 cyl.. it's right on target.

at 4k hrs on a compact like that.. if a diesel.. I'd expect it to be needing a clutch..( if not already been done ) and I assume we are talking about a 3 cyl here too.

soundguy

i'd say you missed out on a really good deal.

that's probably 1000-1500$ cheaper than you normally see for a 3 cyl.. if it was a 3 cyl... if it was a 4 cyl.. it's right on target.

at 4k hrs on a compact like that.. if a diesel.. I'd expect it to be needing a clutch..( if not already been done ) and I assume we are talking about a 3 cyl here too.

soundguy

This was a 1972 Ford 2000 w/1669 on the meter.

There're two others (Ford 2000, 3cyl) for sale in the area that are about the same year with similar histories...both were previously owned by a local board of ed. and are being purchased by a local tractor retailer for resale. One comes with a loader, the other with a york rake. I don't know anything about hours or condition...but I was told they're in good shape. Price = $4k.

/ Don't even know where to start #64  
4k$ is getting close to standard asking money on a 3 cyl;.. especially a lower end one.

...Good morning ... Yeah...I'm thinking that $4k is on the high side...I thought I might be able to negotiate the price down some though. I called the guy on Thursday to set up a time to see them (there's 2 machines). He said he'd get back to me when the machines were at his shop. Haven't heard anything yet.

I noticed the price on the machine I looked at on Saturday was dropped to $2800. I didn't mention this earlier but there was some transmission grinding going on when attempting to put the machine into gear....not sure if it had something to do with the non-synchronized trans or maybe the clutch???

Got a quote from a transporter to ship it up to ME....$750.

/ Don't even know where to start #66  
non syn trranny menas you can't shift gears when moving.

if setting still and it grinds a bit.. clutch is out of adjustment.. or is dragging / worn out..

I remember that you said you can't shift gears when the tractor is moving ...what about when the PTO is moving..? when the gears were grinding the PTO may have been engaged and the mower running...could that be why? What's a clutch replacement go for on one of these? Thanks for you help SG..

/ Don't even know where to start #68  
on a machine with a single clutch and a pto inertial load and no ORC.. sure.. the gears may be hard to shift at a stop as they are actually still turning in the trans (countershaft).

on a double clutch.. if it cause problem.. one section may be stuck or out of adjustment.

double clutches cost more than single clutches.

...it has the double clutch...I'll pass this by the owner and see what he has to say ..thanks again...SG.