Rant Therapy....grrr

/ Rant Therapy....grrr #1  

Steve C

Platinum Member
Tractor
Farm Pro 2425
Two weeks ago Monday I found a tractor on Craigs List that I thought I wanted to buy. I got an e-mail response with a guys phone number. I called him and told him that I was very interested in his tractor I want to buy it if it is as represented and I would like to see it.:D

He told me that he is out of town but his wife can show it to me on Thursday. We happened to be in the general area of the tractor on Wednesday (the same town) but I had not been told where it was located and I didn't see it while driving around.:confused:

On Thursday I called the wife to arrange a time to see it. The wife informs me that she was home yesterday but I can't see it today because she isn't there, her husband must have made a mistake. She then goes on to explain that they will both be out of town for the week end and with the work schedules, the earliest I can see the tractor is Thursday, next week (today) at 3 pm.:)

Great I say that works for me, my week end was also tied up, Thursday it is!
So I went to the credit Union and got the money for the tractor, then around noon today I notice I have a missed phone call. Since I never get any calls I assume that it is the woman with the tractor confirming our appointment.
I called her and she said yes it was she that called, but sorry somebody stopped by and gave her husband a deposit on the tractor!!

Both the woman and her husband have my phone number and my e-mail address. They never contacted me.

Am I wrong in thinking that they should have told the other buyer that "we have set up an appointment for a guy to buy this Tractor on Thursday October 8th at 3 PM, if he doesn't show up its yours."

I drove 700 miles in the last 2 days and busted my butt to get home this morning at 3AM so I could make this appointment. I am both pissed off and bummed out....there I fell better now that I have told someone.:mad:

/ Rant Therapy....grrr #2  
Just get it all out :D

People are nuts that's for sure.

Dave.

/ Rant Therapy....grrr #3  
I would be livid. Some people have no class.....

/ Rant Therapy....grrr #4  
Same thing happened to me a while back.. passed a nice vintage machine on the way to work.. only had time to stop and look.. price was right.. offered to leave a deposit.. was told no need, as I was coming back in the morning with a trialer and $$ in hand. left my cell # witht he guy. I get to work and an hour later I get a call.. tractor is sold!! :(

some people have no class whatso-ever!

soundguy

/ Rant Therapy....grrr #5  
Same thing happened to me except the tractor was advertised on TBN...

I went to Bank to get the money and had the truck and trailer fueled and ready to go... at least he called to tell me his wife sold it so I didn't make a long trip for nothing... then I would have really been mad...

Last week I saw a chipper on Craigslist... called the guy and said I can be there in 30 minutes with the cash... he said he was going out of town and no one would be around for 3 days... I called him back and told me he took his wife somewhere and would let me know when I could come and get it... called back the next day and was told he sold it for cash... wonder what he though I was going to pay him with???

/ Rant Therapy....grrr #6  
That's a shame,but I would let them kindly know how I feel tho.

/ Rant Therapy....grrr #7  
Well, what likely happened was there is some story you may never know. Sometimes it is just like that. Stuff happens. It is aggravating to be sure, but there is some story here, you can be sure of that. It's just you'll never know.

Now, how comfortable would you be having bought a tractor from these folks, now, anyway? Perhaps a way of looking at it. Shop some more!!! It's fun.:D

/ Rant Therapy....grrr #8  
People want the sure thing and when someone shows up with money in hand its sold. I saw a old Ford 5' Bush Hog sitting in a guys yard along with a 8N for sale 3 miles from my house 4-5 years ago. Anyway I called the guy and he said it was still for sale. I only wanted the Bush Hog so I jumped on my Jinma and drove over to get it. He wanted $150 which was fair. I hooked it up and was ready to leave when he informed me he has some other items for sale.

He showed me the 8N, which I was not interested in.

He showed me a Boom Pole. I did not need with a FEL and a Post Hold Digger that doubles as a Boom Pole.

He showed me a 5' King Kutter Box Blade. Not happy with KK mower I owned so I was not really interested in.

He had a Ford 2 Bottom Plow that I did not need but I wanted the matching 6' 3 Point Disc.

Then he showed me a 30' conveyor that was on wheels and pto drive. It was in perfect shape, stored in the barn and only used once a year to put up hay for the winter. I wanted it for a roofing project.

Anyway he said I could have it all, including the 8N for $3000. I left a $100 cash deposit. I rushed home with the BH, talked to the wife, went to the bank, and was back in 1 hour. It was sold and 1/2 gone. I had even came back with my truck, trailer, and a buddy to pull the conveyor home with my other truck. He did give me my $100 back but I was p'd. I could have keep the disc, box blade, and conveyor then sold the tractor and other stuff on Ebay or CL and came out $500 to $1000 a head in under a week.

I have learned dealing in boats to show up with Cash! I bought a 37K boat for 28.5K just a month ago because I waved the money in front of him. I also take a big buddy and my 380 on these deals.

Chris

Last edited:
   / Rant Therapy....grrr #9  
Steve C:
Sorry to hear about your experience with that jerk. Keep the faith. Another tractor will be coming your way real soon. They always do.

So far I've bought 2 tractors off craigslist--a 1951 Farmall Super A and a 1951 Minneapolis Moline BF. The Farmall was 130 miles away in Janesville CA. I made an appointment to see it. The seller was there right on time. We did the deal. And one of his friends hauled it to may place for $100. The BF deal went about the same except I had it hauled to my place on a rollback towing truck (about 120 mile round trip from Redding CA) for $240. I buy really old iron and restore them to parade condition.

Next time I buy a tractor I hope to have traded in my 2001 F150 on an 2000-2004 F250 or F350 and get an 18-ft GN flatbed trailer with electric winch. Then I'll show up at the seller's place with $$$ in my pocket and the hauling rig ready to load the tractor--deal over and done with. no muss, no fuss.

/ Rant Therapy....grrr
Steve C:
Sorry to hear about your experience with that jerk. Keep the faith. Another tractor will be coming your way real soon. They always do.

So far I've bought 2 tractors off craigslist--a 1951 Farmall Super A and a 1951 Minneapolis Moline BF. The Farmall was 130 miles away in Janesville CA. I made an appointment to see it. The seller was there right on time. We did the deal. And one of his friends hauled it to may place for $100. The BF deal went about the same except I had it hauled to my place on a rollback towing truck (about 120 mile round trip from Redding CA) for $240. I buy really old iron and restore them to parade condition.

Next time I buy a tractor I hope to have traded in my 2001 F150 on an 2000-2004 F250 or F350 and get an 18-ft GN flatbed trailer with electric winch. Then I'll show up at the seller's place with $$$ in my pocket and the hauling rig ready to load the tractor--deal over and done with. no muss, no fuss.

I have a 1 ton dually diesel and an 18 foot enclosed trailer that I hauled my last tractor home in and a small pile of cash to deal with, I thought I had all my bases covered.:D:D:D

The trouble starts when the seller won't let me show up untill after it is sold!:eek:

The seller chose the time we were supposed to make the deal, I didn't:mad::mad: