Newbie looking for advice

/ Newbie looking for advice #1  

Pops15

Platinum Member
Tractor
Ford 555 TLB, Caterpillar Motor Grader, Kubota L245, Ford LGT 125, FABTEK aerial platform
Glad I found this site. It looks like there are a lot of knowledgeable and passionate tractor owners on here! I'm a residential remodeling/home improvement contractor (solo show) in northern IL. My wife and I own 21 partially wooded rolling acres in southern IL. We hope to relocate there in the next 5 years or so. I anticipate buying a tractor next spring to use primarily on the acreage, but I may use it some in my business. Cost and financing options will play a role in whether I buy a new or used tractor and attachments. Before we get started on construction down there I figure I'll go there on weekends to clear some trees, put in a drive, mow the weeds and brush. I'll also use the tractor to drill post holes for decks and material handling in my business.
Here's what I have in mind. Please let me know if I'm on the right track or if I need to look at something else.
I'm thinking I'll need a tractor in the 45-50 HP range, 4WD, mid and rear PTO, loaded tires.
I have no idea what type of trans I should get.
Quick attach front end loader, with QA 4 in 1 bucket.
QA pallet forks.
Box scraper w/scarafier teeth.
Post hole digger. Minimum 12" diameter X 42" deep capacity.
3pt brush cutter.
Belly mower.
Those are the "gotta haves".
Now a few luxuries:
A grapple might be useful (even with a 4 in 1 loader).
Pulverizer.
Chipper.
I'm leaning towards a NH TC series tractor. I saw pics of the NH 8N and thought they looked great but figured they were just a gimmicky collector tractor. After looking at the specs it looks like what I think I'll need. Whats the price difference between a 3045 and an 8N?
Should I be looking at different size, series, or brand of tractors?
All of the attachments in my "gotta have" list will see substantial use. What brands, sizes, models do you suggest?
What can I expect to pay for each of the attachments? I don't want to spend more than I need to, but I don't want to have to repair or replace the tractor and/or attachments because I didn't get the right thing the first time.
Before anyone suggests a backhoe attachment I plan on buying a used TLB in addition to a compact utility tractor.
Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me!
Pops

/ Newbie looking for advice #2  
Think about: Hst transmission, 4x4, reconsider the belly mower, consider a backhoe.

No comment on brand but sit on a lot and do lots of shopping. Keep repairs and availability of parts in mind.

Trailer and towing vehicle? :D:D

The shopping is fun.:D

/ Newbie looking for advice #3  
If you are going to go with a belly mower, make sure it goes on and off real easy! (Try taking it off and putting it on yourself, before you buy). A lot of the tasks you forsee will probably be over too rough of ground to leave it on. Also make sure that the 3 pt can be used with the belly mower in place (my B2710 has brackets to lock it up, but that's not high enough for even slightly rough ground.)

I haven't checked, but I don't think mid pto is a common item on 45-50 hp tractors. I could be wrong.

I'm don't know what you have that you want to chip, but with that much acreage, I'd just find a place to pile the brush and/or burn it rather than chipping it up. I think most tractor powered chippers would take an enormous amount of time to chip up a lot of brush, trees, etc.

As for brands, most of us here feel that local dealer support is important in determining the brand you buy. You don't want to have to haul the tractor 50 miles for repairs or parts, or deal with a moron dealer.

Good luck,

Ken

/ Newbie looking for advice #4  
We use both our 30 hp and 50 hp tractors on our job sites depending on what we need to do. if you are going to handle materials what type are you thinking? If you plan on lifting pallets of shingles or unloading a lift of plywood you will definitely want a 50hp utility tractor.

/ Newbie looking for advice
Think about: Hst transmission, 4x4, reconsider the belly mower, consider a backhoe.

No comment on brand but sit on a lot and do lots of shopping. Keep repairs and availability of parts in mind.

Trailer and towing vehicle? :D:D

The shopping is fun.:D
I'll get a TLB so I won't need a BH for the compact. Already know what I need as far as the TLB goes.
I'm open to a 3pt finish mower but whats the reasoning against a belly mower?
2 NH dealers near where I live and one fairly close to the southern property. Good reviews and access to dealers are the reasons I'm leaning towards NH. Theres also a Mahindra dealer down there. I haven't heard much about that brand other than my neighbor has one.
I have a 3 axle flatbed (over axle), 20' X 8 1/2' bed,with and electric winch that I use for hauling my mobile platform. The mobile platform is a nifty piece of equipment with a 9 X 7 work platform that will go 30' high. Anyway, I'll use my existing FB trailer to haul the tractor.
I also have a Behnke (B & B) 14' dump trailer that I use for hauling construction material and debris. I've always got at least one F250 or F350 for a tow vehicle.
Thanks for the input!
Anyone else?

I guess I should clarify.....I wouldn't use the belly mower until construction is done. Until then I'll just use a brush cutter. If I'm not mistaken NH offers a belly mower that runs off a mid PTO and still allows the rear pto to be used for other equipment. I'll have to check into that. NH offers a mid PTO on the 3045 and as an option on the 8N. Can't get one on the 3050.
Reason I'm thinking about a chipper is my property is within the Shawnee Natl Forest....no open fires allowed. I've already checked on that.
NH dealer closest to home is good. Theres one 40 miles away thats outstanding. Looks like I better definitely check out the dealers in the south before I buy.
Thanks for the input. Keep the ideas coming!

/ Newbie looking for advice #7  
Have you checked on the belly mower for a tractor that big? I have not heard of or seen one for a tractor bigger than around 35HP. As far as the front PTO, that would be for a front mounted snow blower I believe.
Before you make your purchase, look at and sit on as many different tractors as you can. You just never know what's out there until you look.

Have fun looking.:D

/ Newbie looking for advice #8  
Glad I found this site. It looks like there are a lot of knowledgeable and passionate tractor owners on here! I'm a residential remodeling/home improvement contractor (solo show) in northern IL. My wife and I own 21 partially wooded rolling acres in southern IL. We hope to relocate there in the next 5 years or so. I anticipate buying a tractor next spring to use primarily on the acreage, but I may use it some in my business. Cost and financing options will play a role in whether I buy a new or used tractor and attachments. Before we get started on construction down there I figure I'll go there on weekends to clear some trees, put in a drive, mow the weeds and brush. I'll also use the tractor to drill post holes for decks and material handling in my business.
Here's what I have in mind. Please let me know if I'm on the right track or if I need to look at something else.
I'm thinking I'll need a tractor in the 45-50 HP range, 4WD, mid and rear PTO, loaded tires.
I have no idea what type of trans I should get.
Quick attach front end loader, with QA 4 in 1 bucket.
QA pallet forks.
Box scraper w/scarafier teeth.
Post hole digger. Minimum 12" diameter X 42" deep capacity.
3pt brush cutter.
Belly mower.
Those are the "gotta haves".
Now a few luxuries:
A grapple might be useful (even with a 4 in 1 loader).
Pulverizer.
Chipper.
I'm leaning towards a NH TC series tractor. I saw pics of the NH 8N and thought they looked great but figured they were just a gimmicky collector tractor. After looking at the specs it looks like what I think I'll need. Whats the price difference between a 3045 and an 8N?
Should I be looking at different size, series, or brand of tractors?
All of the attachments in my "gotta have" list will see substantial use. What brands, sizes, models do you suggest?
What can I expect to pay for each of the attachments? I don't want to spend more than I need to, but I don't want to have to repair or replace the tractor and/or attachments because I didn't get the right thing the first time.
Before anyone suggests a backhoe attachment I plan on buying a used TLB in addition to a compact utility tractor.
Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me!
Pops

Hmm--a belly mower on a 45-50 hp tractor, which will need a mid-mount pto. The 2005 21 hp (engine) Kubota B7510HST tractor that I once owned one of these ptos. It's a little tractor frequently bought for landscaping work.

Don't know of any tractor in your hp range that has a mid-mount pto. The alternative to the belly mower is a finishing mower driven by the rear pto.

I did a little more checking. NH does in fact make a 7 foot wide, mid mount, mid pto driven mower for tractors in my HP range. Its model 914A. I doubt that its very easy for one person to install and remove .......it weighs 775 pounds!!!!

I was kind of dreading the shopping thing but you guys have me looking forward to it now.
Consensus seems to be a belly mower is a bad idea. Any advice on what brands of brush cutters, box scrapers, etc?
The more info the better!
Thanks!!

/ Newbie looking for advice #10  
A few implement manufacturers that I would look at would be

Land Pride

Woods

Bush Hog

There are many more, but those are a few of the better ones.