Think I've got it narrowed down to MF 1652 or NH Boomer 3045 or Kubota 4740

/ Think I've got it narrowed down to MF 1652 or NH Boomer 3045 or Kubota 4740 #1  

Lt CHEG

Platinum Member
Tractor
New Holland T5.120
I think I've narrowed down my search for a new CUT to either a Massey Ferguson 1652 or possibly 1648, a New Holland Boomer 3045 or Case/IH DX45 or possibly a Kubota 4740 or 4240. The NH and Case are basically the same tractor with similar financing but for whatever reason Case seems to be getting better financing right now strangely. All of these models will be cab models, as I am only looking at cab model tractors.

I will be using the tractor for taking care of roughly 7 acres. I will be finish mowing about 5 to 5.5 acres at least once a week and brush hogging a little less than an acre. I will also have a garden area. I also will be installing about an 800 foot driveway and using the FEL to help with snow removal once the driveway is in and the house is built. My plans are to run an 84" mowing deck and a 72" bush hog. I realize that all of these tractors are overkill for my needs, but I hate mowing the lawn and don't like getting dirty while doing it, so that necessitates a cab with air conditioning. I want to run an 84" deck as I plan on mowing at least once a week and want to be done in about 2.5 hours. This should be reasonable as this is basically an open field with trees only on the perimeter. Also I keep hearing that the AC robs a good chunk of power on cabbed units so I wanted to go a step up over the likely minimums necessary for running an 84" rear finish mower.

I've looked at all the big names and the tractors that I mentioned are the best overall values for me. I would rate the Kubota as the least likely tractor for me to purchase as it will likely be the most expensive and I would prefer a tractor slightly between the 4240 and the 4740, as I worry that the 35 PTO HP might be a little too small for the 4240, but I don't want to spend the extra $2K for the 4740. The JD 3720 and 4320 bore serious consideration too, but I think the 3720 is just too narrow for my likings even if for no reason other than cosmetics. Also JD dealers seem a bit too proud of their tractors and I haven't found any willing to go below about a 10% discount off MSRP.

So I'm looking at a MF 1652 cab, with FEL, HST, just the standard single rear remote and loaded R4 tires for about $37,000 out the door, delivered with 0% down and 0% APR for 72 months. I may see if I can get a similar discount on a 1648 as it is likely more what I need.

The Boomer 3045 will be a cab model with FEL, Hydro tranny and loaded R4's for about $32,500 delivered with 0% APR for 60 months. I've located a Case/IH DX 45 with 50 hours and a new tractor warranty for about the same money but would have to buy sight unseen from the dealer.

The Kubota 4740 cab equipped with quick attach FEL, 1 rear remote and a radio is about $36,500 delivered. A 4240 equipped the same is about $1,900 less.

So, is there anything I need to know about any of these tractors before making up my mind? Thanks in advance for the help.

/ Think I've got it narrowed down to MF 1652 or NH Boomer 3045 or Kubota 4740 #2  
You have looked, I'd go drive next. I think you would see some termendous advantages to the Kubota transmission for what you want to do. You might very well find that the transmission will make up the horsepower being lower on the smaller model.

/ Think I've got it narrowed down to MF 1652 or NH Boomer 3045 or Kubota 4740 #3  
I will be using the tractor for taking care of roughly 7 acres. I will be finish mowing about 5 to 5.5 acres at least once a week and brush hogging a little less than an acre. I will also have a garden area. I also will be installing about an 800 foot driveway and using the FEL to help with snow removal once the driveway is in and the house is built. My plans are to run an 84" mowing deck and a 72" bush hog. I realize that all of these tractors are overkill for my needs, but I hate mowing the lawn and don't like getting dirty while doing it, so that necessitates a cab with air conditioning. I want to run an 84" deck as I plan on mowing at least once a week and want to be done in about 2.5 hours. This should be reasonable as this is basically an open field with trees only on the perimeter. Also I keep hearing that the AC robs a good chunk of power on cabbed units so I wanted to go a step up over the likely minimums necessary for running an 84" rear finish mower.

I agree with you, all these tractors are overkill. What I find unusual is that you know you are going to use the tractor primarily for finish mowing and you have not mentioned getting turf tires instead of the R4s. For your purposes, I'd think turfs would be at the top of my "have-to-have" list. These tractors are heavy and turfs will give you protection of your lawn areas while giving you plenty of traction for the other tasks you mentioned. Other than that, it sounds like you have a handle on what you want and are lucky enough to be able to afford it. That would make me a happy guy.:)

/ Think I've got it narrowed down to MF 1652 or NH Boomer 3045 or Kubota 4740 #4  
yes, seems like overkill, but who am I to judge. Would maybe question the turf tire choice though if he is going to be using in Winter and being upstate NY I expect he will see his far share of white stuff. R4 seems like a good compromise. Chains though on the Turfs would should provide the traction he needs if he wants to mess with putting them on in Winter and taking off in Spring. I believe he said he didn't like getting dirty though.

/ Think I've got it narrowed down to MF 1652 or NH Boomer 3045 or Kubota 4740
yes, seems like overkill, but who am I to judge. Would maybe question the turf tire choice though if he is going to be using in Winter and being upstate NY I expect he will see his far share of white stuff. R4 seems like a good compromise. Chains though on the Turfs would should provide the traction he needs if he wants to mess with putting them on in Winter and taking off in Spring. I believe he said he didn't like getting dirty though.

Perhaps I should have been a little more clear on some points. First, it's not so much that I don't like getting dirty ever, I actually enjoy working with my hands from time to time and don't mind getting dirt under my fingernails at those times. My problem is that I don't always have the time to set aside 3 or 4 hours or even 2 hours at a time and get all dusty and sweaty and dirty mowing the lawn only to have to shower, change and be out the door again for something work related. So I figure with a cabbed tractor, it's no different than taking a ride in a car. If I have a half hour or an hour in between other things, I can hop in the tractor, turn on the AC and get a quarter of the lawn done, then hop off the tractor and go back to doing what I have to do. The cab will keep me cool and out of the sun, as well as keeping the bugs away and keep me out of the dust. So that's the primary reason for the cab. Not to mention that it's nice for snow removal in the winter, and I might be able to make a few extra bucks taking care of some other driveways in the area and I'm more likely to want to do that if the can is nice and warm and dry.

As for the lawn, most of it doesn't have to be like a golf course, but I just want a cleaner more manicured look than if I just brush hog it. I will likely buy an inexpensive ride on lawn mower or just use a push mower for the grass closest to the house. I figure that I will keep a small area right around the house very well manicured and for that I can do it with a push mower in a half hour if need be. I just want a small picket fenced area for my small dogs and that will not be mowed with the tractor anyway so I won't really need turf tires on the tractor. The R4's should keep the rest of the area nice enough for my expectations while being more durable and with better winter traction than turf tires. Also I really would rather not bother with chains.

I am starting to lean towards the smaller end of the spectrum of tractors that I am looking at the more I think about it. I am going to ask the MF dealer to give me the same discount off of a 1648 that he was giving me off the 1652. Also I will likely go with a L4240 if I go Kubota if you all think that 35 PTO horsepower is enough to comfortably run an 84" mowing deck with the AC cranked on in the cab. The NH is looking like its actually going to be closer to $31,000 if I stick with the Boomer 3045 and frankly that's a good enough deal that I'd stick with that tractor over a 3040.

As for driving the tractors, I've operated all of them a little bit and there's stuff I like about all of them more than the others. I really like the MF's throttle control being linked to the hydro on the MF and the Kubota. I liked the positioning of the remote valves the best on the MF. I like the overall cab the best on the NH, it feels the roomiest. I like the actual Kubota hydro the best but hate the control pedal and brake pedal placement. I like the looks of the MF the best but prefer the cloth seats of the other tractors. I like the placement of the loader controls the best on the NH, then the MF, then the Kubota. I really like the Kubota's loader capacity but wish it had more PTO horsepower. I'm very impressed with the MF's hydraulic capacity but wish that it too had a bit more PTO horsepower. The NH seems to be the best compromise of hydraulic flow and PTO horsepower. And round and round it goes. I really think that all of these tractors are excellent and I'm having a heck of a time making up my mind. It will probably come down to the best price, but it looks like they are all going to be close, so who knows. Anyone got a three sided coin?

/ Think I've got it narrowed down to MF 1652 or NH Boomer 3045 or Kubota 4740
Anyone have anything else to add? What would you pick if you were in my shoes? Are my prices good, or should I be able to do better? Would the MF 1648 be a better fit for me or even a 1643? Is the Kubota 4240 good enough?

/ Think I've got it narrowed down to MF 1652 or NH Boomer 3045 or Kubota 4740 #7  
I've been strongly considering a MF 1652. I have a quote for a 1652 with Cab, Loader, DynaQPS Transmission, single rear remote and skid steer quick attach bucket for around $34,750 at 0% for 72 months. I think they will come down a little more, but I don't want to make an offer until I'm ready to buy. It has R4 tires, but they are not loaded - if I buy it, I'll probably go ahead and get a backhoe with it, so I won't want loaded tires anyway. I've looked briefly at the other brands, but from what I've seen, I like Massey Ferguson the best.

I started out looking at the MF 1540, but liked the extra leg room on the MF 1552. Then the new 1652 came out and I took a ride in a cab model and was spoiled instantly. :D

sf

/ Think I've got it narrowed down to MF 1652 or NH Boomer 3045 or Kubota 4740 #8  
I have a MF 1552 power suttle and loader and I love it. I have had New Holland -Nothing but trouble and light on the back end. I suggest going with MF or Kubota.

/ Think I've got it narrowed down to MF 1652 or NH Boomer 3045 or Kubota 4740 #9  
I have the Kubota L4330 and Power at the PTO or anywhere else is NOT an issue. I pull an 8 foot rake on 1.5 miles of gravel road, an 8 Foot disc in plowed ground, Two Bottom plow @ 12" deep, 6 Foot Rotary Cutter, 6 Foot Graple bucket that will lift the rear tires off the ground way too easy :), BH and 6 Foot Tiller all while running the AC wide open in the hottest of summer.. of course the above individually :)

So please don't think 1-3 hp on the bota is gonna hurt you..

John

/ Think I've got it narrowed down to MF 1652 or NH Boomer 3045 or Kubota 4740 #10  
My needs are very similar to yours. I have a subdivision, maintaining ~45 acres of lots and my adjoining 15-20 acres that I mow. I had been using a Kioti CK30 4x4 with shuttle shift. This machine would only handle my 5' Rhino rotary cutter. I had this tractor of 4 years, and it was bulletproof, might take a look at Kioti. My problem it was taking 30 hours to mow all of the lots and yard. Ended up buying a 09 JD 4320 with cab, 48 hp, roughly 44 hp at pto. I have had to two weeks, put about 30 hours on it. Great tractor, now mowing with Woods RM990 finish mower. 90" cut with stump jumpers on spindles and blades swivel like on a brush hog blaes, really works like a combination light duty brush hog and finish mower. I cut 5 acres this AM at 6 mph and looks like a golf course, when went to rough field and cut another 3 acres. The grass had not been cut for 4 months, had to raise RM to 5 inches but rough cut good. You have got to look at this mower before you buy.. 4320 on rare occasion pulled down maybe 500 rpm but there were clumps of thick grass 2 feet tall. I believe you can buy 4320 hydro 4x4 with Cx400loader for ~$36K. I believe a 4520 will cost a two g' more. Sweet tractor. I wouldn't buy anything smaller than a 48 hp. Also, after having both shuttle shift and hydro, I'd never go back to shuttle shift. Mowing foward and backwards to cut clean corners and loader work is now easy with the hydro.