Buying a first Tractor; HST or not?

/ Buying a first Tractor; HST or not? #21  
Grande,

I don't think you 'need' hydro, but I would not own a manual shift without a shuttle. This helped me decide between the TC33D and the TC35. I could get the larger tractor (TC35) with shuttle for about $500 less than the TC33D which has hydro. The TC35 has more loader capacity and ability to use larger implements. (BTW, the TC33, non-D, doesn't have shuttle so you have to reach down between your legs and navigate the 'H' pattern to shift from forward to reverse.)

So, to sum up, get a gear tranny with shuttle. Without shuttle, it is too difficult to reach down all the time to shift from for. to rev. With shuttle, the shifter for fwd/rev is usually up near the steering wheel and is easy to just slide back and forth.

If you can't find the tractor you want with shuttle then go HST.

/ Buying a first Tractor; HST or not? #22  
tdenny

OK, I'm kinda guilty of pimpin' Kioti./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

In my case, this is an oranges to oranges comparision since I am comparing models that I would consider spending my hard earned dollars on. In the end there was the Kioti LK3504, the Kubota L3010 and 2910 that I had to choose from. The L3010 was also a shuttle shift but with the r-4's was too wide for my existing implements.

Happy hunting and let us know what you decide.

/ Buying a first Tractor; HST or not? #23  
Hi Sam:

Actually my TC29 has the whole gear shift lever to the left of the steering wheel. And although its not a true shuttle shift. 1st and revese are inline up and down from each other. Making it just as easy to go from forward to reverse as a shuttle shift. I beleive the TC33 is the same way.

/ Buying a first Tractor; HST or not? #24  
That is very interesting, it seems I have heard that before about the TC29. I am almost positive that the TC33 I looked at had it down in the middle below the seat. Can anyone else out there comment?

/ Buying a first Tractor; HST or not?
Yes, I did look at the Long. The problem for me was the minimal clearance between tire and fender. In VT we need chains in winter and there didn't seem to be enough room.

Grande

Friends,

I test rode a Massey F. 1433 today. A little high in the $$$ but likeable. 'Cept 1st and 2nd gears don't seem to be synchro., hence a little grinding without double clutching. NH TC33D or maybe 35D and Kubota 3410 (thanks mrP) are looking better all the time. Now where to find a good deal. Is there much to be said for buying locally or does it make sense to by from afar and have it shipped to save a little money? If so, where do you find a good dealer who's willing to ship?

Grande

Check out the Kubota L3410 and L3710. They sound like what you are looking for. I have a L3410 and it has been rock solid for the three years I have owned it. Oh, yeah, they have a $1,400 rebate until the end of July.

Yeah, if you can find one..... All te dealers up here in Upstate NY are tapped. There's only one around with a lot of stock, and no one likes their primary sales guy. Pushy, arrogant, etc.

As for the TC29, the 8x8 has the shifter on the floor between your legs. Did I just advise?? Hey, look at that - I learnin'
Nope, just been sleeping with these brochures is all.

/ Buying a first Tractor; HST or not? #28  
granted , sometimes the time factor is not important, but for me the ease of operation of the hst is my choice! also as u get older u always want to make things easier, the old arms and legs ain't what they used to be.. /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif

/ Buying a first Tractor; HST or not? #29  
I agree with the safety issue. While I can drive gears, I mentioned in the past that I have a problem with popping clutches and lurching forward, stuff like that. I was just out mowing with my PT425 and I had one hand on the wheel and one foot on each pedal; that's it. No clutching, braking, shifting, etc... felt great.

i just purchased a Mahindra 4110 with fel,Have you looked at the Mahindra line yet? I have looked at alot of others, kioti, century, jd, etc. i think that mahindra has alot to offer, nice machine, heavier, well laid out controls, good financing etc. I got mine in Connecticut, i know there were several dealers in the big truck and equipment trader. i love the tractor,i think you would once you tried one. but they dont have hydro yet, soon they said. but it has 12 spd with shuttle, works nice, easy to operate and alot cheaper than the hydro's. i drove the hydro's, don't get mr wrong they are nice too, but this does everthing i want .