Buying a first Tractor; HST or not?

/ Buying a first Tractor; HST or not? #31  
If you plan to do work that requires changing direction or changing speeds often then go with HST. Although mowing at at a constant speed would seem to be fine with a gear tractor, I find that I have to change speeds a lot due to thicker material, terrain, etc. With the HST its just a matter of pressure on the pedal while the engine and mower speed stays the same. With a gear, you have to shift up and down to change speeds.

Using the FEL or box blade you will find yourself going back and forth and after a couple of hours fatigue will become more of a factor with a gear tractor than HST.

Also, the HST is safer. If you fall off the tractor it will stop. Letting off the pedal is almost like pushing the brake.

Since I change implements by myself, I push the HST pedal while standing beside the tractor to make minute adjustments. I'm too old to be getting on and off the tractor for this.

The HST is critical when doing fine work with the FEL, like trying to dump something in the back of your shiny new pickup without damaging it.

The HST is reportedly very reliable, moreso than clutches on gear tractors. My dealer says about HST "Thay don't break", which is probably an exaggeration, but they rarely give trouble.

If I was doing mostly plowing or mowing on flat level ground and no FEL work, the extra power of a gear tranny might be worthwhile.

With HST, using the FEL, you can steer with one hand and operate the FEL with the other, and use your foot to go forward or backward. No need to take your hand off the joystick.

/ Buying a first Tractor; HST or not? #32  
Grande -- Not familiar with your southern location /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif, but Townline near Lebanon NH is a straight shooter and a nice place for service after the sale. Gary from Essex Equip comes highly recommended as well; I've bought several implements and gotten service from them -- really a top notch outfit.

I bought my L3010 from Carver. It was a pleasure doing business with him, but of course you have to make other arrangements for service.

If you make it up to Lamoille County before you buy, you could put my Clementine through her paces. If you seemed like a nice guy I might even let you mow my field, harvest a few logs for firewood, and dig some holes with the backhoe. /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

Pete

/ Buying a first Tractor; HST or not? #33  
"Since I change implements by myself, I push the HST pedal while standing beside the tractor to make minute adjustments. I'm too old to be getting on and off the tractor for this."

I think Pete mentioned this aspect of a hydro as well. Now I honestly don't mean to start a fight or to put you guys down at all. You guys are great and I just want to point out something.

In the same post about talking about how much safer the hydro is over the gear tractor you guys are talking about being on the ground in front of the tractor and using the hydro to move the tractor forward and backward. I don't think this is safe at all. You never know what will happen. A guy should be on the tractor to make the adjustments if you really worry about safety. I mean yes it's fine that you do it and I'm not getting on you for doing I'm just pointing out that it doesn't matter if you have hydro or gear safety is safety. If you operate your tractor in a safe manner it really won't matter if you have a gear or an hst. Whether you have either one you can get hurt if you don't practice safety. That's a perfect point of something you wouldn't think of doing on a gear tractor but because you have more comfort with the hst it's done.

/ Buying a first Tractor; HST or not? #34  
I have eHydro on my 4710. I enjoy it greatly. It makes it so much easier doing loader work and allows one to focus on job at hand rather than constantly shiting with clutch tranny. I recognize it costs more and power is compromised but I think for me it's worth it.

/ Buying a first Tractor; HST or not? #35  
<font color=blue>Also, the HST is safer. If you fall off the tractor it will stop. Letting off the pedal is almost like pushing the brake.</font color=blue>

Don't ALL tractors sold in the U.S. have a safety switch on the seat?

/ Buying a first Tractor; HST or not? #36  
Real tractors don't have switches on the seats................chim

/ Buying a first Tractor; HST or not?
you guys are talking about being on the ground in front of the tractor and using the hydro to move the tractor forward and backward. I don't think this is safe at all

You can not be in front of the tractor or behind the tractor to do this...how are you going to reach the pedals unless your arms are 6' long,you would have to stand by the side of the tractor to do this...besides if something did happen as soon as you let go of the pedal or the seat the tractor will stop....

/ Buying a first Tractor; HST or not? #38  
I think they're talking about reaching in from the SIDE of the tractor to move the peddle a little to line up when hooking up the implement. You're probably talking about moving an inch at most. (I have a gear and I do the same thing by physically turning the rear wheel just to move the tractor a little.

/ Buying a first Tractor; HST or not? #39  
Alan,

Couldn't agree more with each point you make, as I have had 4 gear tractors over the years and now have HST.

I too stand beside the tractor to fine position for 3PT connections as well when on the BH re-position w/o leaving the seat saves a lot of time. My arms are long /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Carl

/ Buying a first Tractor; HST or not? #40  
Yep, you got us there, Richard./w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif Using your hand on the hydro pedal while standing on the ground ain't the "recommended" or safest way; however, with the tractor idling, the range selector in the lowest range, and standing beside the tractor (on the right side), I've done it, too, while being real careful about where my toes were./w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif