Buying a first Tractor; HST or not?

/ Buying a first Tractor; HST or not? #41  
I've used the "stand beside" method a couple times when things were out of whack. The one temptation is to leave the tractor running when finishing the connections.

The most difficult implement I have to connect is the rotary cutter. Whenever it's on, so is the FEL. I've found the FEL provides more precise adjustments anyway. I get things close, then drop the bucket (teeth-down) and move the tractor by rolling the bucket to curl or dump.

Wifey is getting closer to understanding the need for a barn, so someday soon maybe I'll have room to get the implements on dollies on a concrete floor and make life easier..........chim

/ Buying a first Tractor; HST or not? #42  
<font color=blue>Since I change implements by myself, I push the HST pedal while standing beside the tractor to make minute adjustments. I'm too old to be getting on and off the tractor for this.</font color=blue>

On my JD950 gear drive I use the FEL for these type of adjuustments, much safer./w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ Buying a first Tractor; HST or not? #43  
<font color=blue>The most difficult implement I have to connect is the rotary cutter.</font color=blue>

The trick that works for me is I back the tractor to the cutter making sure I get one of the lower pins lined up so it will slide in easily. After connecting that pin, I use a bar/pipe/prying device back at the tail wheel to pivot the cutter to get the other pin to line up. Then it is just a matter of hooking up the toplink and PTO, and away I go.

/ Buying a first Tractor; HST or not? #44  
RanchMan - The HST safety issues have been thoroughly thrashed a number of times, so I'll just refer you to a few links I found by going to the search page and entering "HST safe MarkC", using "AND" criteria on "All Posts":

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.tractorbynet.com/cgi-bin/compact/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=jdown&Number=85413>Link 1</A>
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.tractorbynet.com/cgi-bin/compact/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=buykubota&Number=65622>Link 2</A>
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.tractorbynet.com/cgi-bin/compact/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=buykubota&Number=57921>Link 3</A>
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.tractorbynet.com/cgi-bin/compact/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=custom&Number=22295>Link 4</A>
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.tractorbynet.com/cgi-bin/compact/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=buykubota&Number=16706>Link 5</A>
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.tractorbynet.com/cgi-bin/compact/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=jdown&Number=16670>Link 6</A>

Obviously, this doesn't get you the safety-related posts that others made, and Rat, Del, and others have made some good ones, but I'll let them refer you to theirs... Some of those links don't deal specifically with safety in any degree of detail, but they do talk about hydrostatic's advantages in other areas, based on my experience.

/ Buying a first Tractor; HST or not? #45  
Gear tractor with adjustable lower link arms.
Back in close adjust lower link arms,put in pins and your done safe and easy !!

/ Buying a first Tractor; HST or not? #46  
<font color=blue>"Ever hear of REPO?"</font color=blue>

Golfgar, I sure have. I've done everything from motorcycles to motorhome including semi's and boats. Haven't done an airplane, yet.

So far I think semi's are the toughest just because you have to wait for the air to build up before you can pull away. Time never moves so slowly as when you're sitting there in front of God and everyone waiting for that buzzer to shut off so you can put the thing in gear and get out of range. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

As to my input on the tractor tranny, I bought HST just because they're easier and you don't have to be as good, just like in a car or truck. As you can see from the above, I can and will drive about anything with wheels or tracks but just prefer to take the easier route when I can.

As to the comment about the pricing difference I'd like to make a comment. While HST may be more expensive to purchase at the outset I believe that price differential on a compact utility tractor will be much less in terms of cost of ownership when you factor in your increased trade-in or resale value. I think the percentage of used CUT buyers who will either prefer or only purchase one with HST will be greater than other other segment of the tractor market.

Therefore, while you may pay more at the outset, you'll likely get a greater percentage return of that portion of your total expenditure than any other.

Look at it this way. If you were going to buy a used CUT today and went to a dealer that had twin tractors there, identical in every way EXCEPT transmission, how much more would you be willing to pay for the HST? Personally, on a late model used piece, I would easily pay 80-90% of what the HST added to the list price when it was new. I think most CUT buyers would do the same.

/ Buying a first Tractor; HST or not? #47  
I suppose using the FEL would be a good way to move the tractor a little if is isn't HST, but it would seem to tear up the yard some wouldn't it? When you get help from your spouse there is the tendency for one of you to be behind the tractor putting in the pins while the other is on the tractor moving it into position. One slip of the HST pedal and the one in the back could be seriously injured. At least when you are by yourself standing beside the tractor, about the only thing you can do is run over your toe.

/ Buying a first Tractor; HST or not? #48  
Bought my 3rd tractor a couple months ago. First was gas/gear/2WD/no 3PH/MMM/no FEL. Second was diesel/HST/4WD/3PH/RFM/no FEL. This one is diesel/HST/4WD/3PH/RFM/FEL. When it works for me, I stick with it. If I'm unhappy with it or am looking for another feature, I try something else.

One thing I can tell you is something that came up when I was at the dealer's getting my B7500. There was a tractor sitting there (can't remember model#) that looked a few years old because of the faded decals and weathering. The clock had only a couple hours on it. I asked the salesman how a tractor that looked so old could have no hours on it. He told me it really was new but he couldn't unload it because it was a gear tractor, and he was thinking about putting a backhoe on it just to make it more attractive.

This was at Keller Brothers in Lancaster PA a little over two months ago. If any of you gear guys want a bargain, I'll stop in and see if it's still there and which model it is. The physical size seemed near my 7500, but I didn't look at it closely......................chim

/ Buying a first Tractor; HST or not? #49  
The HST saga continues./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Of course what everyone owns is the best we all know that. So if you own a gear tractor that is best or if you own a HST that is best. No one wants to own a second best tractor, in their eyes anyway.

But I can honestly say this. As far as productivity goes a gear or glideshift is no match for a HST. The hst will win hands down simple as that. Been there done that as they say.

Ok so productivity is not a factor for you, lets talk safety. Something that goes along with safety is ease of use for the operator as well. In midrange I can go from a snails creep to about 7mph. Midrange is my favorite overall gear to use when doing most dirt work. So when backfilling a foundation of a house I can creep along the wall, turn blast back to the dirtpile and get another scoop. No pauses. No clutch lag, or slipping. No gear hunting. When using a gear tractor it just can't be done that simple. The more things you have to worry about gear and rpm wise the less your actually concentrating on the work that your doing.

What happens when your working and your in the zone, kicking butt pushin dirt. Someone yells HAY how long will it take you to stop? Or if the tractor starts to raise or tilt out of control for one reason or another can you get the clutch in quicker than letting off of the hst petal? Reguardless if you have a foot clutch or a shuttle shift next to the steering wheel, think about it.

Guess from reading the above you can pretty much tell what I used to own and what I own now. I used to be dead set against any tractor with a hst. Until I got one for a loaner while my tractor was in getting repaired. It was a much smaller tractor and got more work done than with the a tractor I knew like the back of my hand. That says alot right there

Bottom line is either demo each before you buy or go and rent each one for a day and see what is right for you. I know what works for me and I also know that the price difference is not much over the life of a tractor.

Gordon

/ Buying a first Tractor; HST or not? #50  
There have been many debates on the Hydro- Gear shift question. Basically it all comes down to persnal preference as both have pros and cons. I know I am in the minority here but for me there were several reasons for going with the gear shift. Price.....difference alone was enough for a finish mower. Power loss........ I was looking for the most for the least in a small package. Maintenance cost....... whats the price difference in extra filters and fluid. Sure you eventually have to replace the clutch but I can split a tractor to do that. I wouldn't even attempt to repair a hydro. Time saving...... FEL work maybe, mowing is a wash. Trade in resale..... I plan on keeping mine. As it is right now I could still sell it for the purchase price I paid for it. In my area used CUT's sell at a premium. Hydro whine..... it would drive me nuts. Just some thought and opinions.