Buying a first Tractor; HST or not?

/ Buying a first Tractor; HST or not? #51  
<font color=blue>Hydro whine..... it would drive me nuts</font color=blue>
Must be a Kubota thing, my hydro on my JD 4400 does not whine...

/ Buying a first Tractor; HST or not? #52  
Gordon - It's good to hear from ya, even if you are opinionated! /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif I also had the same experience you had with respect to HST, of course. And you know that, because we discussed it quite a bit when you were debating purchasing a new tractor. You were also fortunate enough, and had good sense enough, to rent one while you were deciding. I've had 4 Kubota's, and now, the EarthForce EF-500. Of course, that doesn't count a dozen or so tractors I used on the farm. The first Kubota was a straight gear model, the next two GST's, and the fourth, as well as my current EarthForce, HST's. If I ever buy another tractor, it will be HST, unless some new hybrid HST/planetary technology transmission similar to Fendt's becomes available in smaller sizes.

As I said in one of the posts I included a link to earlier, I know of lots of tractor owners who switched from non-HST to HST, but I know of none who have switched from HST to non-HST (well, that's not totally true - I know of one who went from HST to non-HST for a week or so, but immediately thereafter went back to HST). Or, put another way, the only ones I know who prefer non-HST tractors are those who've never owned an HST. That simple truth alone provides a lot of perspective on the issue.

/ Buying a first Tractor; HST or not? #53  
Neither does my Kubota L3010. Not sure what he's referring to...

Pete

/ Buying a first Tractor; HST or not? #54  
Once again you hit the nail on the head Mark. Once you own a hst you never go back. Wonder why that is?/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Or when the safety issue question comes up it's always shot down so quick. You just can't argue right I guess.

So what is that hydro/planetary you said the Fendts have? Isn't that what your Earthforce has now?

Gordon

/ Buying a first Tractor; HST or not? #55  
Gordon - The Fendt transmission they use in the new larger tractors is a hydrostatic unit with a planetary gear unit in the output drive. The planetary unit is used to transfer power to the drive wheels by varying percentages, until, at maximum speed, the planetary is delivering 100% of the power. So you get all the advantages of HST, plus the efficiency of a straight gear drive at certain speeds.

My EarthForce is a strictly hydrostatic system, though it does have the advantage of an infinitely variable displacement motor, whereas most systems have only a variable displacement pump. As I understand it, some of the NH HST's have a dual-displacement motor, offering some of the advantages of the EarthForce system, but not the flexibility or operating speed.

/ Buying a first Tractor; HST or not? #56  
Rat has mentioned on several occasions that the L48 has a planetary rear-end. How does this relate to the the Fendt transmission? I assume it is different, but based on Rat's comments it is still an improvement on normal CUT practice.

-david

/ Buying a first Tractor; HST or not? #57  
David - Planetary diffs are usually stronger and more efficient than normal bevel gear differential, but this is not the same as the planetary gear drive in the Fendt HST's, which is actually part of the transmission.

My EF-500, for example, has bevel gear diffs front and rear, bevel gear transfer case, and a planetary drive in each wheel, but the transmission is still straight HST, i.e. hydraulic pump and motor.

/ Buying a first Tractor; HST or not? #58  
I know of lots of tractor owners who switched from non-HST to HST, but I know of none who have switched from HST to non-HST (well, that's not totally true - I know of one who went from HST to non-HST for a week or so, but immediately thereafter went back to HST).

That's not true. I've owned two different hst's and I only have gear drive tractors now. I know of alot of guys who have owned hst's and gone back to gear tractors. Most guys call them slush boxes. Not saying they aren't great for some people but they certainly aren't everyone's choice even when they've owned them. When you really know how to operate a tractor you also don't spend time thinking about it you just do it. There are plenty of guys out there who could work anybody into the ground no matter what you put them on. If you can operate a tractor you don't lose hardly anything with a gear tractor. I can say where if a guy only operates a tractor occasionally or they are a beginner you may be better with an hst but not if you are "REALLY" an experienced operator. Convenience yes that is true but convenience most certainly doesn't equate to faster time and increased safety in my opinion.

/ Buying a first Tractor; HST or not? #59  
Richard -- Gotta disagree on this one. In my case, with plenty of land but few open spaces and a LOT of situations that require finesse, I simply find an HST easier to use. A few examples: (1) when mowing the meadow across the slope a fixed speed is fine at a 10 degree angle, but there are a couple of short stretches where the angle hits 20 degrees; with the HST I'm able to instantly slow to a crawl...then speed right up when the ground levels off. Sure, I could mow up and down, but there are more obstructions that way. (2) When mowing the lower field the HST makes it simpler to back that rear mount mower under low branches. (3) When logging, the HST's toe/heel action lets me zipper the tractor between trees, stumps and boulders to put the winch at the proper angle for reeling in some firewood. (4) When carrying log length hardwood home on the FEL hooks, the heel/toe action lets me manuever between standing trees with ease.

I like geared tractors as well, but not in tight spots. When helping my friend in the valley I love his big geared JD, but in that situation I only have to change speed or direction every half a mile. Some of you folks out west with spreads that stretch for miles must wonder about the value of HST...but come back here to Vermont where a 100 yard long stretch of straight road is a rarity -- and the chief crop is boulders -- and you might change your mind. There's a LOT to be said for convenience, and painting all HST users as beginners or not having "real" experience takes this discussion in a direction I'm not sure we want to go.

Respectfully, Pete

/ Buying a first Tractor; HST or not? #60  
<font color=blue>"Ditto. I have never hear someone on this board say: "I'm bummed that I bought the Hydro". "I just wish I had opted to shift all the time"."

<font color=black>I know of one time when someone would have said that, and can think of another situation where someone might want to say it.

On one of our construction jobs, someone managed to damage the solonoid on the jd tractor, and they had to pull start it with another piece of equipment... guess that would have been very difficult with a HST tractor...

The reason the solonoid was damaged was a branch... I'm thinking that might have easilly been a snatched hydraulic hose.... guess that would have been rough on a HST as well...

I've got nothing specifically against HST trannies.. I just prefer the control of the gear tranny.

Soundguy