Buying a first Tractor; HST or not?

/ Buying a first Tractor; HST or not? #1  

Anonymous Poster

I think I just stumbled upon this wonderful discussion group in the nick of time. Permit me to beg your collective experience and wisdom. I'm buying a first tractor (33-35hp) for mowing, snow removal, dirt drive grading, cordwood, etc. on somewhat uneven terrain.

Based upon dealer location here in southern Vermont, the choices I've come up with are: Massey 1433, NH TC33D, Kioti DK35, JD4310 and Kubota. Are there any glaring +s or -s of the afore mentioned machines. This shopping is fun but getting a little overwhelming.

As big a question is how important is HST (not available on the otherwise appealing Kioti)? Some people I've met say they can't live without it and some say don't bother, it just uses power and costs money.

Thanks in advance,
Grande

/ Buying a first Tractor; HST or not? #2  
I have a Kioti DK 35.
Excellent tractor.I really like it .
And it works quite well without hydrostat..

/ Buying a first Tractor; HST or not?
By the way.....

After posting the previous, I read much of the thread initiated by Dazed, in a similar situation as myself. I apologize for being redundant.

Grande

/ Buying a first Tractor; HST or not? #4  
...and did it help you make up your mind?/w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ Buying a first Tractor; HST or not? #5  
In making this statement, I will probably reignite the old HST vs GST debate, but here goes. Hydro trannies are convienient. Hydro trannies are a little easier to learn to operate. Hydro trannies are not a nessisity. A gear tranny will work just as well as a hydro. If the lack of hydro tranny is the only thing preventing you from getting the Kioti, get the Kioti.

/ Buying a first Tractor; HST or not? #6  
I think RonL best summed it up in the other thread. Check out his words of wisdom. After reading them, I examined my reasons for liking the hydrostat so much and realized they are all directly linked to the way I use my tractor. Logging, mowing around obstructions, road work and backhoe use all involve a lot of stop and go. A hydro makes that effortless. Plus, since my wife refuses to get involved with the tractor in any way, I find it much simpler when changing implements to reach up and tweak the HST pedal to fine tune the tractor's position...none of that climbing on and off crap for me. And since I may change implements five or more times a day, this is a real time and back saver for me. But "for me" is the key phrase. Your opinion may very well vary, and that's fine. Drive several, do different tasks with them, and form your own opinion.

By the way, your feeling about and relationship with the dealer is a key part of the puzzle. The best tractor in the world is no deal if you're forced to get repairs from a deadbeat.

Pete

/ Buying a first Tractor; HST or not? #7  
Hi grande have you checked out long yet they have their new style out now they have an hst you can go too their web sight
their is a dealer in so.nh i bought mine from i seen new style yesterday looks good too bad i could not buy one every two years or so
ed

/ Buying a first Tractor; HST or not?
You've all been very helpful. Thanks again. I think the overall sentiment is correct, there's no bad choice. Working in tight quarters makes HST appealing for sure. I'll likely end up purchasing as if it were a pair of jeans, try 'em on, buy the one that fits your butt best!

Grande

/ Buying a first Tractor; HST or not? #9  
<font color=blue>"As big a question is how important is HST (not available on the otherwise appealing Kioti)?"</font color=blue>

Grande,

I'm in the same situation that you are, except that I won't be buying for about 3 years. So I've done a lot of shopping/comparing already, and I have a lot of time to do a lot more.

Since you mentioned Kioti, I would mention that Kioti is supposed to be coming out with HST this fall. I believe that they are planning on having available in their tractors up to 30hp. You might check out the threads in the Kioti forum to find more specific info. Although I tend to lean towards blue, I've felt that the Kioti was an attractive alternative. My biggest problem is that there are no Kioti dealers within a reasonable distance of me. /w3tcompact/icons/sad.gif

And, just to add my $0.02, I won't purchase anything that doesn't have HST.

Good luck. Say, why don't you register when you get a minute? Then you get to do cool things like posting pictures! /w3tcompact/icons/cool.gif

Here's that thread that discusses Kioti and HST..<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.tractorbynet.com/cgi-bin/compact/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=kioti&Number=142395&page=1&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=0&fpart=>Kioti Getting HST</A>

/ Buying a first Tractor; HST or not? #10  
As said by others, hydro isn't necessary, but it sure is nice! Just look at all the un-necessary things in our lives... air conditioning, automatic transmissions, power locks or doors, seat belts(oops), electricity, indoor plumbing... you get where I'm going /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif. I really like hydrostatic transmissions. I can use gears just fine, but I reeealy like hydro. You probably will too /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif