2 range hydro vs 3 range hydro

/ 2 range hydro vs 3 range hydro #1  

kcook

Platinum Member
Tractor
Cub Lawn Tractor
I have only ever owned a 2 range Case garaden tractor. What advantages does a tractor have with 3 ranges for the same HP around 30 or so?

KC

/ 2 range hydro vs 3 range hydro #2  
You won't see much difference in the high range between a tractor with a 2 range transmission, or a 3 range. The low range in a three range transmission is quite a bit lower than in a two range, and allows more torque for the real grunt jobs, but little transport speed. Medium range is kind of like the upper part of the low range in a two range transmission, and perhaps will allow somewhat higher transport speeds. I have done some loader work with the medium range in mine, but low range works better. I wouldn't really be afraid of either one now that I have used both as long as the tractor you are using has enough torque to do the things you want in low. I think most complaints about the two range transmissions come from folks that want to mow faster than low range will allow, while the high range doesn't produce the torque they need for mowing hilly areas.

/ 2 range hydro vs 3 range hydro #3  
I can't comment on a two range hydro since I have never used one. My B7800 is three range. I use low for brush hogging and loader work, medium for mowing my yard and working around the house. High is used for road gear. I do a some driving on the road but not a lot. I could get by with just low and medium range. High range is nice to have when it's needed.

/ 2 range hydro vs 3 range hydro #4  
Having owned a Case tractor with the two range transmission, you will notice a huge difference with any other tractor! On my Case, the low range was too slow for mowing, and the high was good for nothing except for high speed road travel. Remeber, that Case has a hydraulic transmission, not a hydrostatic.

My BX had a 2 range transmission, and my B has a three range transmission. I use low for loader work, medium for mowing, and high for transport.

Will

/ 2 range hydro vs 3 range hydro #5  
I have only ever owned a 2 range Case garaden tractor. What advantages does a tractor have with 3 ranges for the same HP around 30 or so?

KC

High is mostly only useful for road transport. You find it on larger tractors that are taken out along roadsides.

/ 2 range hydro vs 3 range hydro #6  
Mowing is where the third range comes in most handy. As others have stated, the low range is for grunt work and the high range for road travel. The two speed HSTs have the same basic high and low gears as the three range transmissions but lack the important middle range. I'd not own another 2 range HST now that I have had both.

/ 2 range hydro vs 3 range hydro #7  
Kubotas hst + is a 3 range with high low in each range, a six speed hydro.

/ 2 range hydro vs 3 range hydro #8  
I have owned both (first 2 range) now 3 and I much prefer the 3 range. As medium is what I use the most.