Least Expensive

/ Least Expensive #11  
I'll 2nd Ranch Hand. folks under rate these tractors because they're not "name" brand. I have had very good luck with mine, as well as others.

/ Least Expensive #12  
I would suggest starting with the John Deere website as they have a tool to help select size based on your usage. You can also go to the other websites to get a feel for the prices. Kubota has a "build your Kubota feature" to give you a list price and you should be able to get a fair amount off that. Then start visiting some local dealers and sitting on some of their models. No amount of reading will substitute for sitting on them and at some point driving them around in the dealer lot. That will give you a better feel for what you would like and what "fits" you and also a feel for the dealers and how you get treated.

On the information you provided, it would seem like the Sub CUT size would be a good fit. But for some reason you may fall in love with the bigger size CUTs.

I would definitely buy it with the loader. If you are going to finance, you can include that and most offer 0% now but also that guarantees that you are getting one made for your tractor. It will fit right, be sized right, and will easily go on and off. If you are going to have a MMM, I would buy it then too for the same reasons. Also, if that model tractor is discontinued in the future, you may or may not be able to get those attachment.

Any of the 3 pt hitch stuff, it doesn't much matter, although again, if you are going to want to finance it, you may be able to package it in.

As far as least expensive, as others have said, there is all kinds of ways to define that. In general, there are some tools that I buy at Harbor Freight because I don't want to feel bad if I loose it in the weeds, and there are other tools that I am more concerned with the quality. You will probably have to sort out which kind of tool this is for you. In the end, there isn't going to be a lot of difference in initial cost, so I would tend to get what I wanted within some reason.

Also, as has been mentioned, unless the daughter and friends live next door, your going to need a trailer. I use a tandem axel 16' trailer which I pull with a pick up with a V8 for my B2920. With the front end loader and any attachments on the back, that is about what it will take.

/ Least Expensive #13  
New Cut brands in gross order cheapest to highest:

Chinese (various "makers")
Kioti
TYM
BobCat
Mahindra
Cub Cadet
Montana
Branson
MF
NH
Kubota
Deere

Exact order will certainly vary by geo area, dealer, current promotions, etc. Those top 8 or so are usually greatly depreciated after the first few hours, meaning you can find a lightly used (<400 hour) machine for significantly less than new.

Case in point, see the recent Kioti CK45 thread. At $12K that guy is easily saving $6000 over new. Another example: I found a friend of mine a Kioti CK20 gear with loader and backhoe, 350 hours, for $8000. Brand new that setup would be pushing $18K. I've seen similar deals on TYMs and Mahindras. Probably not the case for the so-called "major" brands. I think it's mostly driven by supply vs. demand. More people want the "major" brands, and this coupled witht the cost of new models, keeps the used prices high

On the subcuts, I'd test them out trying to dump into a pickup before I'd take as face value how well they work in this situation. Some might do it well; others might just barely do it, or not at all.

The most important thing is to test drive as many different makes/models as you can before deciding. An informed buyer will get a better deal. You'll also have a greater appreciation what size/features are right for you.

And don't let anyone convince you that property size dictates tractor size. Tasks at hand more directly dictate tractor size. I have a 25 HP, 5500 lb TLB CUT on just 2.5 acres. A smaller tractor would not suffice for my tasks.

/ Least Expensive #14  
Hopefully I can be PC enough not to get deleted. Have you read of the catastrophic failures of some of the tractors with Front End Loaders? There can be various degress of failure from stripped gears in front drive train to busted transmission or flywheel housings. This can happen across the various brands of tractors and hp range. My point of bringing this up is the mention of primary FEL work. Some people will tell you it was all operator error. I won't get into that. Just be aware of the problems and you'll spend your money wisely. FEL work stresses the front of those little tractors heavily. bjr

/ Least Expensive #15  
To cut through the chase.....the least expensive "name brand" tractors with a hydrostatic that fit your criteria are likely the Kioti or the Bobcat (rebadged Kioti). At least that is what I have seen around here. They have some pretty good deals on those 20 & 25 hp CUT's.

While that list above appears pretty accurate....it seems there are always exceptions depending on geographic areas and models / sizes.

I think you need to look at what dealers are in your area to service / support your purchase. Those Bobcats or Kiotis would not serve me well..... as their isn't a nearby dealer for me for repair parts....and I'm pretty impatient when broke down.

/ Least Expensive #16  
Well, a tractor is a tool. I wouldn't stray from the BIG three JD, Kubota, NH. Parts are a for sure thing many years down the road. Those dealers tend to be more reputable, not to be here today gone tomorrow such as a few I see gittyup's list. Before I bought the JD790, I owned/ operated the "other" green tractor:D I got it second hand, used and not really cared for properly. ALL of the dealers vanished around 30 years ago, even though they sold like hotcakes back then. Much like Montana tractors pulled the rug from under everyone, watch out TYM owners:eek: There was no parts available. In order for me to keep my tractor goin' I soon had a list of junk yards to call for parts Hoping they had what I needed. Lots of time spent doing that when I should have been in the seat. I lived and I learned.;) OH, and the tractor will not care what color of implement that its connected too. In my case, implements out-lasted the "other" green tractor anyway:D

/ Least Expensive #17  
This is a variation on a very common thread here, I'd search the threads.

Agree with brand does make a difference particularly in support and parts.

I bought a Kioti and have had no significant problems and have no fear on parts with Bobcat picking up the brand.

I second what others have said with regards to dumping into pickup truck, it is a reach for many small machines, one reason I got a bigger machine. It is one thing to be able to dump into pickup and it is another to be able to dump into middle of pickup.

With an acre, unless you are planning on doing a lot of contract work, a fairly small machine should do the trick, think about how often you'll actually be dumping into pickup. in my opinion, with an acre, sounds like dumping into pickup is your biggest chore with regards to size requirement of machine.

a 15hp diesel should be able to till an acre in short order.

Joel

/ Least Expensive #18  
I have to agree with Ranch Hand Supply. I bought a Jinma 254/284 back in 2003 and do not regret it one bit. Super strong tractor, can load a regular dump truck so will easily load a pick up. I had a Ford already but wanted some other features and the Jinma fit the bill with 1/2 the cost. I have 600 hours plus and only replace the starter,battery, and the thermostat. This tractor is strong and amazes my neighbors with 30ish Hp JD, NH, and Case machines. Parts are easier to get than for my Ford if needed.

I would also consider the BobCat line right now. They have been running great deals and have the Kioti name to back them.

Chris