New guys take on pros & cons of 45 HP range of CUT's

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / New guys take on pros & cons of 45 HP range of CUT's #1  

Lt CHEG

Platinum Member
Tractor
New Holland T5.120
I've never owned a tractor before but I've used them before. I've also operated backhoe loaders and excavators as well as some other stuff so I at least know how to work equipment, even if I'm far from a pro. The engineer in me likes to evaluate things in spreadsheet form and tractors have been no different. I recently began shopping for a tractor in the 40 to 50 horsepower range to help set up my 6.5 acre home site and then take care of it once the house is up. I figured that I would share with everyone what I've found. Having never owned any equipment before I don't have any brand loyalty nor do I think I have any real bias as I'd be willing to spend the money on any one of the following brands. My evaluation comes based on comparing features, as well as my impression of operating the tractors. Some things are very subjective in evaluation, such as feel for controls, etc. so I am not ashamed of the fact that the following are my opinions, even if based upon factual numbers.

I've looked at John Deere, New Holland, Kubota, Case/IH and Massey Ferguson. These brands are all well represented in my area so finding a good dealer is not an issue for me. As has been preached on here before, I tried to shop the dealer as much as the tractor and I found all the dealers to be pretty comparable. They were all pretty helpful, even if some were more pompous than others. Also every one of them followed up with a follow up phone call or email after my initial test drive which I found to be professional and helpful. I did not evaluate or consider Mahindra, Kioti or some of the other smaller brands represented here on TBN. This is not an indictment on any of those brands. Instead it is the fact that there are no dealers for those products within about 50 miles of my place, whereas there are multiple JD, Kubota, MF, NH, Case/IH dealers all within 30 minutes of where I live. So it was more a matter of ease of getting parts and service, etc. without having to go a great deal farther. The only exception to the closeness is Kioti. There is 1 Kioti dealer within about 15 minutes of me. However they are new and had virtually no inventory to demonstrate or even look at. This to me was as good as not existing since I have so many other colors to choose from in close proximity.

So as for the testing. I looked at several models of certain brands and only one model of others. I'll group New Holland and Case/IH together as they are essentially the same tractor, heck even the dealers of each respective product agreed that that was the case. I'm only interested in purchasing a cab tractor and will not consider a tractor without an air conditioned cab at this point. However in a couple of circumstances if a cab version of that tractor was not available to evaluate I would look at the non cab version. Similarly I am going to purchase a front end loader with the tractor, but there were a couple of tractors that had other implements attached in the front so I evaluated them sans the FEL. Anyhow, I submit the following for your information and enjoyment.

John Deere - Models looked at 3520, 3720, 4320, 4520

Pros: Great engines, high horsepower for size tractor, cab interior was the most like a car interior, good fit and finish.

Cons: Not standard with telescoping end links, 3520 and 3720 FEL's not quite on par with similar HP tractors' FEL's from other brands, somewhat small cab, somewhat loud, pricey.

I liked the John Deere tractors. Their cabs feel the most car like to me, and their operation is very easy and intuitive. The biggest hurdle for me on the 3520 and 3720 is just how narrow they are. I don't feel as comfortable in them on any slope, and I also think they are not as aesthetically pleasing due to their narrow stance. So that leaves the 4320 and 4520. Since the green machines are already pricey and the 4520 just is more machine than I really need, that leaves the 4320 for my consideration. I enjoyed the Deere engines the best of all the tractors, they really seem powerful and I think that is their best feature. Operationally I like the position of the FEL joystick the second best behind NH. Everything seemed like it was well positioned, but the cab doesn't feel as roomy as the rest. Certainly a good tractor that anyone should be proud to own. At this time though, unless the JD dealer drops the price some more (approx. $36,500 with 400X loader, radio ready, telescoping end links, rear work lights and 1 rear remote) I likely won't be buying green.

New Holland / Case/IH- Models looked at Boomer 3045/TL 2320 and Farmall 45

Pros: Roomiest, most comfortable cab, nice wide stance, comes standard with a lot of features that are options on other brands, seems to be a good value, good PTO HP to gross HP ratio.

Cons: Least desirable transmission tested (based on hydro transmission)

I can't really say anything bad about the NH and Case tractors. They almost seem to me to be like utility infielders (do a lot of things well if not the best in any category) and offer a good value. I think before discounting they might be a little pricey but it looks like they are trying to move them now. I like the placement of the FEL joystick the best (it feels the most like the backhoes that I've used and am used to) and everything else is well placed. They offer a good amount of PTO horsepower for their size which is nice. The hydrostatic transmission pedals took the most effort to depress out of all the tractors tested and this is the only hydro tractor that I tested that had only a two range transmission. I realize that there is a high and low speed in each range but it just doesn't seem as good as a true 3 range tranny. I also tested a farmall 45 with the new CVT transmission that had 3 ranges and was the most user friendly to use but it was priced too high quite frankly and did not bear further consideration. These are nice tractors in general and still definitely in the running.

Massey Ferguson - Models looked at 1643, 1648, 1652

Pros: Excellent hydraulic flow for all units, best FEL capacity in the class in the case of the 1648 and up, beefy axles, gives feeling of heavy duty, most standard equipment of all tractors.

Cons: Most spartan interior (only cab tractor with vinyl seat), could stand to have a little more PTO HP per gross HP.

The Massey tractors also offer a lot of features and come with a lot of standard equipment. Along with the NH, it's the only tractor that has rear windshield wipers, rear work lights and completely radio ready as standard, and it is the only tractor to come standard with one rear remote. It's obvious that they've put a lot of effort into the 1600 series design. I wish that they put out more PTO horsepower per unit of gross engine horsepower. I'd probably buy a 1643 hydro if the PTO ponies were at least 35. There is a lot of options on these tractors. You can get a hydro, syncro shuttle or power shuttle depending on which tractor you go with, it's pretty much hydro only on the other brands. These tractors put out a lot of hydraulic flow and a lot of lift capacity, and certainly seem very capable. It is certainly a contender for my purchase.

Kubota - Models looked at 3540, 4240, 4740

Pros: Excellent total package, great full featured hydro transmission, excellent FEL with the 4240 and up in particular

Cons: Whoever had the idea of putting the hydro pedal and steering brakes on the same side of the tractor should be shot, cab could stand to be a little bigger

The Kubota is clearly an excellent tractor. They, like the NH/Case kind of remind me of a good utility infielder in that they do everything pretty well if not anything quite the best. The brake and hydro pedal configuration is a real handicap for FEL work in my opinion but particularly for my purposes it certainly isn't a deal breaker. There isn't a whole lot to say, except that it's great tractor and an outstanding value. I personally felt the FEL joystick was in the least desirable position for me out of all the tractors, but that is my opinion and could be different for others. I will likely go with at least the 4240 if I go orange if for no other reason than to make sure I get the better FEL. I certainly think that the Kubota is high in the competition for my dollars.

So that's been my experience so far. I've had a few personality conflicts with a couple Kubota dealers but nothing that can't be overcome. I would honestly be happy with any of the above tractors and feel that they all will easily do what I need. I'm probably leaning the most towards the MF and NH tractors right now due to the 72 months 0% financing vs. the 60 months for JD and Kubota. However the Kubota 4240 may come in at such a great price for what it offers that it could overcome the financing edge on the MF. Who knows. Feel free to comment and share your experiences and opinions as well. I thought that this post would be a nice starting point for a good discussion.

/ New guys take on pros & cons of 45 HP range of CUT's #2  
Wow, lots of info here. Sounds like you have done your homework so do not let a few thousand dollars on a $35,000 purchase sway you. Get what you want. I would not buy a Dodge if I really wanted a Ford even though it was $1500 more. I would never be happy. Not saying price is not a consideration but sounds like you are buying way more tractor than you need at this times so it should last you a good long while so get what you want.

One other thing to consider is operating weight. Many of these newer tractors are very light. You need weight to put that power to the ground.

Chris

/ New guys take on pros & cons of 45 HP range of CUT's #3  
Cons: Whoever had the idea of putting the hydro pedal and steering brakes on the same side of the tractor should be shot,

I have to say in the last 12 years I have owned 4 Kubota's, all with the brake and hydro pedals on the same side and I can honestly say, I have never even used the brakes except to set the parking brake occasionally. All of these tractors had loaders and used them all the time. The best feature I have found so far for loader work is the Hydr. Dual Speed option on the 40 series. Instead of changing ranges all the time, simply hit the lever and go.

But it looks like you have done a lot of homework and you should buy the one that you are most comfortable with.

/ New guys take on pros & cons of 45 HP range of CUT's #4  
I know they are in slightly different leagues, but I have a JD 110 TLB and a friend of mine has a L3940, neither have a cab. There are certain things I like about both. I like the tranny itself better on the Kubota, the dual speed lever is nice. However, I like the separate hydro pedals and having the brakes on the correct side on the JD, if you are ever driving in slick conditions you can steer much better using the brakes.

The FEL on the 3940 is weak, the 4240 is a good choice due to the stronger FEL. The loader controls are better on the JD and the backhoe is much better, but the JD 110 was build for loader and backhoe work.

The weight is a noticable factor, I have my rear tires loaded with rimguard (1100 lbs) and he doesn't have them loaded. The JD weighs about 2500 lbs more than the Kubota yet they have the same tires and are about the same size. The more the weight the harder you can work it.

/ New guys take on pros & cons of 45 HP range of CUT's #5  
Been watching your posts for a while. The time has never been better to buy a compact utility tractor- looks like you ought to go ahead and take the plunge!

/ New guys take on pros & cons of 45 HP range of CUT's #6  
I've followed your other thread too and still think that there is a disconnect between 40-50hp and 6.5 acres. If you are digging a homesite out of a forest you really need to rent an excavator or bulldozer first. If you are just cleaning up abandoned fields and then mowing/bush hogging then you really don't need 40+hp for that size lot. You might take your $35K and consider getting a 30hp machine with a backhoe for example with plenty of change to buy useful implements (grapple, boxblade, snow blower, rake, forks etc) that would help you get a homesite ready and you'd have an appropriate sized tractor and tools to maintain the land once the house was built.

/ New guys take on pros & cons of 45 HP range of CUT's
I've followed your other thread too and still think that there is a disconnect between 40-50hp and 6.5 acres. If you are digging a homesite out of a forest you really need to rent an excavator or bulldozer first. If you are just cleaning up abandoned fields and then mowing/bush hogging then you really don't need 40+hp for that size lot. You might take your $35K and consider getting a 30hp machine with a backhoe for example with plenty of change to buy useful implements (grapple, boxblade, snow blower, rake, forks etc) that would help you get a homesite ready and you'd have an appropriate sized tractor and tools to maintain the land once the house was built.

I've been thinking about that, especially since someone brought up the idea of the Kubota B3030. The problem is the Kubota B3030 is the only tractor that has an air conditioned cab in that size that would do what I want. If I was saving the money on the tractor I'd want to put a backhoe on the tractor and the problem is that you can't put a backhoe on a Kubota cab tractor, at least not a factory backhoe, and I won't spend that much money on a tractor and implement combo which may screw up my warranty. I know the John Deere 3000 20 series would work too, but I just don't like them and they're not that much less than the other size tractors that I'm looking at. There's no question about it, the one thing that sinks me is the need for an air conditioned cab. If I didn't need an air conditioned cab then I wouldn't be looking at as big of a tractor. But I am not willing to go without an air conditioned cab and that is the biggest reason why I keep ending up in this size category. If I could get a factory backhoe on a Kubota 3030 cab tractor then it would bear strong consideration, but I'm having a really hard time going for the 3030 cab if I can't use the money I'm saving buying the smaller tractor and spending it on a backhoe for it. I just really don't know at this point. When I moved some dirt around with a 45 HP unit, it honestly felt a little less capable than I thought it would be and what I was used to feeling when operating equipment. I guess I just feel like I would be disappointed with a tractor of lesser size, even if I would only use the tractor to 90% of its capabilities less than 5% of the time. $100 or so a month isn't going to break me, and I think it would be money well spent for being a happy tractor owner. I didn't need an 800cc ATV when I bought mine, and would have been perfectly happy with a 500cc ATV. BUT for not that much more, and certainly not that much more per monthly payment I was able to have the biggest size ATV that I could get, so I happily spent the money. I haven't regretted spending the extra 20% once since I bought my ATV and I feel like I will feel the same way about the tractor.

/ New guys take on pros & cons of 45 HP range of CUT's #8  
I went from a 30hp to a 44hp. There are things the 44hp tractor will do that would take the 30hp tractor a lot longer to do. But there are things the 30hp tractor will do that the 44hp tractor can not do. If you buy one tractor in the bigger size you are going to find a gap that can only be filled with a smaller unit. So down the road you'll be back on here asking about SCUT or small CUT sized tractors.

I guess there's no size that's perfect. But for a small acreage I think almost everyone will tell you the smaller CUT, 30hp range, is your best fit.

My 44hp tractor does not have a cab. 90% of the work I do with it could not be done with a cab.

My 23hp tractor does not have a cab either. 90% of the work I do with it could be done with a cab.

But in the end, to complete your projects, you are gonna have to get out of the cab because of the limits the size of a 45hp tractor with cab puts on you. :)

/ New guys take on pros & cons of 45 HP range of CUT's #9  
This is how I understand your situation. You have 6.5 acres that you want to take care of in comfort and ease, and you don't want to take all day to do it. Unless you have some disability that won't allow you to turn a steering wheel more than one revolution,:rolleyes: get one of the bigger tractors that you have been looking at and get your work done quicker and in comfort.

This is not to say that a smaller tractor will not work, but if your property is open and you aren't working on a slalom course and it sounds like you can afford what you want, then get what you want and get the work done with the ease and comfort that you desire. ;)

I was asked one time why I bought the size that I bought. My answer was that while my Sears GT might :rolleyes: be able to do what I needed done, it wasn't going to get it done in my lifetime. ;)

Now go get that Massey and get to work. :D

/ New guys take on pros & cons of 45 HP range of CUT's #10  
I'd agree with ovrszd that a cab can be a problem especially when in wooded areas. I note that you say air conditioning is a must but you live in upstate NY. Did you mean heating was a must for winter snow removal duties? I work in a similar climate and find that a sturdy sunshade is just fine. I can understand the guys in Texas needing A/C but unless it is needed just to control dust/pollen etc it really isn't that critical if you have a sunshade combined with the breeze generated by the tractor's movement.

Depending on what you need to do with a backhoe, you might consider renting one occasionally or even considering the cost comparison of a B3030 cab with a BX24 partner versus a 40+hp cab with BH. I suspect you could get the two smaller tractors for about the same (if you bought a low hour BX24) or just a bit more. The BH on the BX24 is not good for digging foundations etc but for doing general private scale landscaping it is a sweet sweet tool. I have a 40hp CUT TLB and still dream of adding a BX24 type machine to my collection. Having a mower on one tractor while the other has the BH permanently in place would be a real time saver.

Status
Not open for further replies.