How much tractor do I need?

/ How much tractor do I need? #1  

CoastieGM

I am purchasing around 45 acres of mostly flat pasture. For occasional mowing, clearing, and hauling (assume it will have a front-end loader) how big of a tractor would I need (hp)? Also, any personal opinions on brands, such as quality of customer service, etc.?

/ How much tractor do I need? #2  
As far as size, it depends. As far as mowing, it doesn't take much to pull a rotary cutter (bush hog), but depending on how much acreage you need to mow, you may want a wider cutter if you have lots to cut to speed things up. A 30 to 50 horse tractor will do almost anything. Clearing takes more power, again depending on what you are clearing. But for reasonable sized brush and small trees, the 30 to 50 would be adequate. Hauling with your bucket (say gravel or dirt) is limited by the FEL capacity, but a tractor in this range would lift well over 1000lbs, which should be adequate. Do you need 4 WD? Only if there is lots of mud, but for relative flat pasture land, is probably not necessaary. Now if you do ground engagement activities, such as plowing or disking, go heavier and more powerful and 4 WD.

Personally, I would get an ag type tractor (heavier than a compact) in the 50 hp range, as it will do almost anything you ask of it. As far as brands, all the major manufacturers are good, but I would base it on the strength of dealership in your area. Stick with a reputable dealer with a history of good customer service, as regular maintenance or repairs are important, and you want a dealer with a good service department and maybe even the ability to transport your tractor if you have an issue (assuming you don't have a trailer and appropriate truck). Personally, I am fond of Kubota, but A Deere, Kioti, New Holland all make good tractors. If several are available, sit in them, test drive them if you can and see which feels good. And think about what future use you may not be thinking of. I would rather err on going a little too big than a little small.

And some will say to get a smaller CUT, as it would work, but I like the increased weight of the ag type (say a Kubota M series) I am not too keen on bells and whistles, but just like a good solid no frills tractor. I have a M 6800 Kubota, and there is not much this tractor cannot do.

/ How much tractor do I need? #4  
I am purchasing around 45 acres of mostly flat pasture. For occasional mowing, clearing, and hauling (assume it will have a front-end loader) how big of a tractor would I need (hp)? Also, any personal opinions on brands, such as quality of customer service, etc.?

I have a 2008 Mahindra 5525 (54 hp engine, 45 hp pto, gear tranny, power steering) with the ML250 FEL (6-ft wide bucket, 2950 lb lift to 10.5 ft height). The 5525 is a simple, heavy tractor and the dealer in my area is excellent.

I run a Hawkline 6-ft rotary mower (aka brush hog, bush hog, shredder, slasher). I only have 10 acres of flat pasture, 6 of which needed mowing before I made that acreage into a hayfield. I could mow those 6 acres in about 3 hours with that Hawkline. Mowing 45 acres with at 6-ft brush hog would take me several days at my rate. You can get larger mowers to do the job faster if you have the hp. If I had your acreage, I'd be looking at a used 75 hp tractor to handle a 10-15 ft wide mower.

/ How much tractor do I need? #5  
It All depends on how much time you have available to spend mowing and doing all the other things necessary to keep up the property also what shape the property is in. I share a 42 acre tract of land with my brother-in-law. For 2 years he kept mowed and built fence (PHD) using a JD 750 whiich is listed as 19 PTO HP with 2 WD and flotation tires and mowed with a 4 foot brushhog. Our property has a lot of spring fed low areas that he couldnt get to and I would mow them with my 45 HP 4 WD and 6 foot mower when I got home which is about one week every 3 months. It would take us 2-3 days for us to mow the whole 42 acres taking our time and mowing around all the small trees taking lots of breaks etc.and using both tractors. We have about half in open pasture and the other is in ponds, and areas of scattered trees. IT takes longer to mow the 10 acres of scattered trees than the other 32 acres of open pasture.
Back in the 50's my dad rowcrop farmed 40 acres and pastured 60 using only a Ford 8N. So there is a big variable. Are you willing to make a gazillion passes with a 4 foot mower and small cheap tractor or do you want to do it in 6 hours with a 15 foot batwing (assuming that you have enough open pasture to put one in) and a 75 hp tractor that cost 3 times what the 20 HP will. For me, the 35-45 HP with a 6 foot mower would be plenty. I enjoy getting on my tractor and working much better than sitting at my desk all day.

/ How much tractor do I need? #6  
I guess that gary fowler end statement makes a point. How much money do you have to spend and how much time do you really have. The other thing you need to think about is service from your local dealers. Take a look around you and see who is nearby with less then 1 hour drive. Go visit them and see what vibes yo are getting.

long story short- there a JD dealer that is 10 mins drive but they wouldnt care less to talk to me. I went to a kubota dealer 30-40 min drive away and got the worlds of servive from him. Plus he never pushed me a sale. SOLD!!!!!!!!!!!!! I bought a BX tractor from him that same week! :)

Your dealer, whomever you pick knows in general how to fit the machines he can get to your budget, your time, and your land and your needs.

/ How much tractor do I need? #7  
do you want new or used? are you handy with a wrench?
what's your budget and what part of the country?

a used Alice Chalmers D-19 or an IH 706/806 can be found in good running condition pretty cheap - like 7-10k with loader. either of those would pull as much mower as would be practical.
If you want new, I wouldn't suggest going less than 45 HP if you're planning on mowing all 45 acres - unless you're going to do it in 5-7 acre pieces.

/ How much tractor do I need? #8  
The larger the tractor the more expensive it will be to repair. In my situation, 87 acres 60 of which is wooded I get along well with a 35hp Kioti with a fel. For years I used an old ford 8N and it did all I needed except FEL work.

I guess my philosophy was that I needed a tractor to maintain the land, it was more cost effective to hire out the jobs that needed larger equipment.

The only time I wavered from that was when I wanted some bulldozer work done and the contractors wanted $3500 to do it. I bought a Oliver OC3 from a neighbor for $1900, did the work and sold it for $2300.

/ How much tractor do I need? #9  

Is it 45 acres of mowing? What type of clearing? What would you be hauling? What do you mean by occasional? Monthly, quarterly, yearly? All of these questions might weigh in on the type or size of tractor.

However, someone before me suggested a utility AG tractor and not knowing any more than you stated, I would agree. Planning on having a gear or HST tractor is a personal issue, the same as a particular brand. As stated before me, the choice of dealer should make a big difference in the tarctor you choose. Find a good customer oriented one.

As far as the brand of tractor, honestly, they are all pretty good. The difference is the dealer and how it feels to you when you are in the driver's seat. My personal preference is John Deere, but my choice is not for every one.

Talk to the dealer, sit on many different types and brands of tractors. Go with how you feel about the tractor and dealer.

Good luck and keep us informed on your search, ask as many questions as you need. We all have differing opinions, but everyone is here to help.:)

/ How much tractor do I need? #10  
in order to responsibly answer your question, we need more, much more, information.... As you talk to dealers, ask their advice. If they have been around a while, they know what is required, depending on what you hope to accomplish... In my part of Central Texas and on my 225 acres, I have large areas that need bush hogging and I have many cedar/juniper trees that need pushing over... My L2800 serves me well... yes, there are times when a larger tractor would be nice but many times my L2800 is small enough to get beneath large tree limbs.. Talk to your neighbors and your dealers, then consider your budget and buy what's necessary.