Compact TLB Ideas

/ Compact TLB Ideas #1  

JDGREEN4ME

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere 2520, John Deere X534, GT 225, GT 275
In the near future I will be looking for a TLB set up. At this point I am looking in the 24 - 32 HP size and I would like to get the "best bang for my buck". (I like John Deere but in no way am I married to them.) I do not want to spend over 30K. At this point I really like the B26 but would like to know what else is available and/or recommended. Do not need to be able to mow or do any other functions beyond loader and backhoe work. :)

/ Compact TLB Ideas #2  
The B-26 in an earlier life was a B-21 and before that back in the 80's it was the B-20. That's quite a bit of history for that size TLB and they probably have one of the most rounded out compact tractor line of TLB's any where.

There are some other contenders that are two wheel drive but nothing that stackes up to the B-26 series. Yes, you can add a backhoe to even your tractor but the hydraulic performance is not going to be there to match the B-26 or the frame.

/ Compact TLB Ideas #3  
I haven't seen anything in that hp class with 4WD that competes with the Kubota TLB's. The B26 would be my choice if I couldn't afford the L39. These are industrial grade, tough work horses. Their competitors from other manufacturers are larger and more costly from what I can tell. That JCB 1CX is a nice machine. But, I'll bet it's pricely.

Now if you want to save a few $ and can live with a little less performance, the Kioti CK35 or DK35 setup with a Woods backhoe and loaded tires is pretty darn good too: nice and heavy with good hydraulics. You might even get a DK40 with backhoe for under $30K. Then the second tractor that comes to mind are the Bransons, heavier still.

I think when you look at the specs between the DKs and the B26, the DKs hold their own, and the CK's are pretty close. The well equipped CK TLB will come in closer to $20K than to $30K. Same thing with their Bobcat twins.

/ Compact TLB Ideas #4  
I once compared the Kioti CK20 TLB set up versus the Kubota B21. The Kubota is purpose built so has some clear advantages in that regard but what was notable to me was that the Kioti set up matched the Kubota in just about every specification. As I recall the Kioti had a little more powerful loader while the B21 had the stronger BH but they were close. The real difference was in price. At the time I was comparing the Kioti TLB could be had back in 2006 for about $17K new while the B21 sold for about $25K at that time.

For a construction company the B21/26 is hard to beat but if you are looking at similar performance for lots less money the CK20S with either a Kioti or Woods loader is a great bang for the buck. The equivalent HP JD and Kubota B series are much lighter and don't have the loader capacity the CK has. I suspect Mahindra makes something very close to the Kioti in performance and cost (?2015).

I now have a Kioti DK40se/KL401 loader with Woods BH90x. I paid a couple of years ago about the same as a Kubota B21/26. Again, comparison is tough if you are really looking for a construction site machine as the B26 is sweet but in terms of lifting and digging power the DK40 set up almost doubles what the little Kubota can do for about the same money. I haven't priced either set up in the past couple of years but they were equivalent when I bought mine. Other than being more easily trailered, it is hard to imagine the B26 being a more capable machine than my set up. For a construction company it is hard to top the purpose built machines but they cost a premium price so you can get equivalent or better specs with a CUT TLB set up.

/ Compact TLB Ideas #5  
You can get a great condition B21 for less than $15K a B20 would be even less. I bought an 1150 hour 2004 B21 last year. I have put over 100 hours on it. The only failures have been a hydraulic hose on the FEL ($30), a fuel shutoff solenoid ($115) and 3 front wheel studs that stripped ($4). It uses about 1/2 a gallon of diesel per hour. From my perspective the costs have been very reasonable.

/ Compact TLB Ideas #6  
If you have a price point up to 30k you should be able to find a very low hour L39 that is about double the capabilities of the B26. I happen to have a B21 and a L39, both of which have been very good to me. Besides the power difference what impresses me about the L39 is how smooth and precise the hydraulics are. Much more like a full size industrial TLB.

MarkV

/ Compact TLB Ideas #7  
I don not own one but I would look hard at the Bobcat tractors. The pricing is very competitive and will give you lots of bang for the buck.

Chris

/ Compact TLB Ideas #8  
I don not own one but I would look hard at the Bobcat tractors. The pricing is very competitive and will give you lots of bang for the buck.

Chris

Those are rebadged Kioti tractors and they did have spectacular sale prices this summer but I don't think those prices are still in effect. Haven't heard much buzz about that since the end of the summer.

/ Compact TLB Ideas #9  
I priced a 3320 deere with loader and hoe which came in close to same price as the B26 I bought but the jd dealer was really pushing me to go with a jd110 for commercial work as he said he would be nervous with me using the 3320. (I have a history of tearing stuff up thats unbreakable).
We also used a jcb mini backhoe but I was not happy with the hydro & no 3pt hitch. I realy like the dedicated/purpose built B26 I have done things with it that I shouldn't but to date I have not broken it. I have notice that there are some good prices on used ones.

The big differance in price on some of them is the extra hydraulics as I have front, rear, hoe hydraulic's, thumb, qa backhoe buckets and 4n1 which probbly added 6K+ to the price but make it 100% more useful.

What the intendend purpose? This won't be faster than a bobcat or a mini ex but one tool that does it both in a far amount of time it works great.

/ Compact TLB Ideas #10  
I am keeping my eye open for a used low hour B26 right now:rolleyes:I own a B21 and they both are built like a tanks. The dedicated TLBs will be built a lot sturdier than the multi-use machines. I test drove a new B26........could not afford the new sticker price..........:eek:but I will say that the 26K they wanted for it was IMHO worth the price.;)