help me pick out a tractor

/ help me pick out a tractor #1  

quackaddict

Silver Member
Snook, Texas by way of the South Carolina Lowcount
Tractor
Kubota B2920
new guy here...just joined this week. I've narrowed my search for a tractor down to a Kubota L2800, NH T1510, Mahindra 2816 and JD 3005. The prices I have been given, from cheapest to most $ is NH, Kubota/Mahindra, JD($19,700-21,950). These prices include loader, box blade, shredder, finishing mower, tiller, and post hole digger w/ 9" auger. All brand new and all models are geared and 4wd.

Here's what I need it for. I have 5 acres of what was once pretty flat pasture land. It slopes from front to back with a total of MAYBE 15ft elevation change. I'll need to shred about 2 acres of that, and finish mow most of the remainder. Put in a small garden, do some very light fence work, maintain 75yrds of driveway, maintain a compost pile, and whatever else may come along with owning that much land. Another issue, I'm currently over-seas and won't be home until the first of February, and I'm wanting to buy before the end of December when all of the special financing options go away. I've put quite a few hours on the TC30 and lots of different JD models, but nothing smaller than about a 45HP model, and I've put about 10hrs on on older Mahindra. I've never sat on a Kubota before. But I think that I like the Kubota the most out of the four.

So now that you know my story, could ya'll give me some input as to what ya'll think I should do? This will be the first tractor I have ever bought, but like I said, I have a fair amount of experience on them(worked on beef farms, horse farms, and nurseries for the better part of my short life). Thanks a bunch...love the site

Last edited:
   / help me pick out a tractor #2  
Sounds to me like you are in the right HP range for what you plan. It may be worth waiting until you get home and can sit on each model to see how they feel. I'll be surprised if the finance deals don't continue next year with the lousy economy. Nothing wrong with a gear tractor but with finish mowing being one of your major uses a straight gear tranny can slow you down if you need to change directions often.

MarkV

/ help me pick out a tractor #3  
I would go to the one you likes dealer and say here is where I am. Give him the numbers and let him get closer. If he does not want to deal get the cheapest one, the NH. They are nice machines.

Chris

/ help me pick out a tractor #4  
I agree with MarkV, there have been excellent finance and other promotions on virtually all tractors for well over a year now and it would be shocking if they ended before next summer. I'd suggest you hold off until you have had a chance to drive each of the models you are considering. All are excellent so it really does come down to personal preference and dealer support. No one on TBN can really help with either of those important considerations.

/ help me pick out a tractor #5  
My recommendation for you is pick the dealer you think you will like (or already like) and make a deal. I lean to green (like the resale value, and I just really like the color green) so the others are not in the running for me. But I like running some of the new Kubota's too. No Mahindra for me.

/ help me pick out a tractor #6  
If you only have two acres that need shredding, I don't know that it's worth buying a rotary cutter for that. What are you going to do with it after you cut it the first time? Let it grow back to weeds, or keep it mowed?

I think I would just clear it out with the box blade in spring (or maybe one time rent a cutter) and then keep it cut with the finish mower. But then maybe I have a different image of what you need to work with.

How big is a "very small garden"? We had a 40x75' garden and felt that it was too small for a 3 pt rotary tiller to work well. YMMV.

Ken

/ help me pick out a tractor #7  
A good tractor will last you a long time.I think you should wait till you get home and check out the dealers that are in your area.A good dealer can be more important to you than what color the tractor is. Sit on a few,ask lots of questions,and take your time. The cheep financing is not free. It may even get cheeper.

/ help me pick out a tractor #9  
YMMV = "Your Mileage May Vary". IOW (In Other Words), you may have different results and have a different opinion.

For a 20x50 garden, I feel that a walk behind tiller would be better (and less costly). It's a lot quicker and easier to get the walk behind out and use it than to hook up a 3 pt tiller and use it on small plots.

I have a 3 pt tiller. When dad died, I got his walk behind. For our garden needs, I prefer the walk behind.

I also love the little Mantis type tillers (carry with one hand) for breaking up the ground and weeding between the plants after the garden is started.

Ken

/ help me pick out a tractor #10  
At a certain point, the size of the garden makes the walk behind tiller wearisome and it calls for a tractor, at least to this old man's arms and back.
I till this patch with the walk behind, but in the second photo, I use the tractor. The first garden is 25 by 25. The second is 30 x 150.
Also, the first garden is enclosed with deer fence, making a walk behind mandatory. The third photo is just a perspective shot. Apologies all around for the little baby disk I borrowed from my neighbor.:D:D