I NEED ADVICE HELP

/ I NEED ADVICE HELP #1  

scottf92

Just bought 106 acres of ground that is split half wood and half pasture, the pasture was being cut for hay by a neighbor farmer and previous owner received about 1000.00 a year to let him do this, we plan on building our retirement home there and live there full time. I need a tractor, but have no idea of what type, kind, size etc there is a lot of work that needs to be done on the ground mostly brush hogging and moving brush piles etc so I am thinking of a tractor with a bush hog and loader but would mabey want to get a bailer to go with, but I see those are expensive also, any recomendations on type and size of tractor any word of wisdom LOL Thanks for your help

Scott

/ I NEED ADVICE HELP #3  
Scott welcome to the forum and congratulations on the new property. I think you need to narrow down your plan a bit before deciding on equipment. If you are wanting a general maintenance tractor for 100 acres and someone is haying half of it then something in the 50 hp range will work well for you. It will run up to an 8' rotary mower and have a loader capable of most all you will need. Now if you want to do the hay work yourself I would not consider anything smaller than 70 hp for baling 50 acres of hay and you may well want another tractor for raking and helping to move bales.

MarkV

/ I NEED ADVICE HELP #4  
Just bought 106 acres of ground that is split half wood and half pasture, the pasture was being cut for hay by a neighbor farmer and previous owner received about 1000.00 a year to let him do this, we plan on building our retirement home there and live there full time. I need a tractor, but have no idea of what type, kind, size etc there is a lot of work that needs to be done on the ground mostly brush hogging and moving brush piles etc so I am thinking of a tractor with a bush hog and loader but would mabey want to get a bailer to go with, but I see those are expensive also, any recomendations on type and size of tractor any word of wisdom LOL Thanks for your help

Scott

New or used tractor? What's you're budget for tractor(s)? Which dealers are in your area?

/ I NEED ADVICE HELP
I am outside of st louis about 50 miles and don't need the hay now but if I decided to run some cattle the hay would be quite handy. I an not set on new or used but trying to narrow down what I need, would like to stay under 20k. I have seen some kubotas reasonable, are they good machines? Thanks for all the advive it really does help me to start understanding what I will need better.

/ I NEED ADVICE HELP #7  
You can get a lot of good info here, but we really need a lot more info about what you are going to use the tractor for.:confused: What type of farm work, grading a driveway, maintaining that drive, snow removal, grade your lot for the house? Do you want a cab, or do you like the great outdoors and enjoy braving the elements? All questions that need to be answered along with a lot more to be able to get you some useful information.
Look at and sit on as many tractors as you can. They are all good machines these days, but you need to get what fits YOU best and find a dealer that you are comfortable with based on what you might need from the dealer.
Good luck with your research. ;)

/ I NEED ADVICE HELP #8  
I am outside of st louis about 50 miles and don't need the hay now but if I decided to run some cattle the hay would be quite handy. I an not set on new or used but trying to narrow down what I need, would like to stay under 20k. I have seen some kubotas reasonable, are they good machines? Thanks for all the advive it really does help me to start understanding what I will need better.

I'm a transplated MO boy (grew up in STL).
For $20K you can buy a new Kubota L4400 tractor with FEL (6-ft wide bucket). My neighbor has one of these (shuttle shift gear tranny) and it's nice.

I have 10 acres of flat pasture, 6 acres in oat hay. My new tractor is a Mahindra 5525 (54 hp engine, 45 hp pto, 2WD, power steering) with the ML250 FEL (6-ft wide bucket, 2950 lb lift to 10.5 ft height). I bought this in Mar08 for $17.9K.

I think tractors in this hp range are what you should be looking at. They'll get your mowing and toting jobs done now and, in the future, if you want to go haying, they'll handle that type of equipment for small square bales. If you want to do large round bales, you may need to step up to the 70 hp range.

/ I NEED ADVICE HELP #10  

Scott

making hay is more than just a bailer. you need a specific type of cutter.. like a disc mower.. or sickle bar.. then you need rake, and a bailer.

for that task.. I'd reccomend a MINIMUM of 50hp.. more if you are making lots of rounds.. 50ac should make a good useable amount of hay.. .

if you are needing to maneuver in the woods.. then a small er tracor is in order.. thus I see you needing a large scut/smallish cut and a utility or ag tractor fo rthe big stuff. you can get used utility/ag tractors for pennies on the dollar.

soundguy