Any deals out there on new log splitters?

/ Any deals out there on new log splitters? #1  

MDM

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L2800HST
I figure this is the time of the year when places will try to start moving them. I'm up in the air as to tractor vs stand alone. I like the speed of the stand alones, but I am kind of leaning towards tractor mounted since I only put 50-60 hrs a year on my tractor. I have a Kubota L2800 that is 3yrs old and I only have 160hrs on it, so I figure an extra 15hrs a year would do it some good. I have a 25yr old stand alone and doesn't have a dual stage pump (16 sec cycle time). I'm actually thinking about the Power Horse at NT for its dual splitting, but like the stand alones at TSC too. TSC has a 22 ton for $1000 locally.

/ Any deals out there on new log splitters? #2  
depending on how much you are doing.. IE.. if only hobby stuff.. I see harbor freight has a ? 7 ton unit with electric/hyd setup for something like a measly 400$

soundguy

/ Any deals out there on new log splitters?
Thanks Soundguy, but I would need something in the 20+ ton range. I heat with wood exclusively for 4-5 months out of the year. I'm not sure how many cords this equates to, but I have a 5x8 trailer plus a shortbed on a full size pick up and I cut and split about 7 loads of wood, truck and trailer being one load. The splitter I have (20ton) actually works fine, but is really cold natured and has seen better days in general and I'm looking for an upgrade. I'm just getting the impression that it isn't going to last another season. I like the idea of getting more use out of my tractor, but like the speed of the stand alones as well.

/ Any deals out there on new log splitters? #4  
My TSC is offering a 10% off discount coupon on any purchase over $100. That makes that TSC splitter a heck of a deal. I looked them over the other day and are well made. The one thing I did notice was some were plumbed with the filter on the input side of the pump and some with it on the return side of the valve. I like the return filter for the simple fact I do not want any restriction to the pump, especially on cold start. My tractors are plumed that way as is every airplane I have ever flown.

Chris

/ Any deals out there on new log splitters? #5  
Thanks Soundguy, but I would need something in the 20+ ton range. I heat with wood exclusively for 4-5 months out of the year. I'm not sure how many cords this equates to, but I have a 5x8 trailer plus a shortbed on a full size pick up and I cut and split about 7 loads of wood, truck and trailer being one load. The splitter I have (20ton) actually works fine, but is really cold natured and has seen better days in general and I'm looking for an upgrade. I'm just getting the impression that it isn't going to last another season. I like the idea of getting more use out of my tractor, but like the speed of the stand alones as well.

something a new lawnmower engine would fix?

soundguy

/ Any deals out there on new log splitters? #6  
I bought the TSC 3 point mount model a while back and am very impressed with it. Haven't encountered anything it won't split. It's easy to attach and can operate in vertical or horizontal positions. I'm using it on a 55hp tractor. I paid full price for mine but someone said there is a 10% discount currently at TSC.

/ Any deals out there on new log splitters? #8  
My TSC is offering a 10% off discount coupon on any purchase over $100. That makes that TSC splitter a heck of a deal. I looked them over the other day and are well made. The one thing I did notice was some were plumbed with the filter on the input side of the pump and some with it on the return side of the valve. I like the return filter for the simple fact I do not want any restriction to the pump, especially on cold start. My tractors are plumed that way as is every airplane I have ever flown.

Chris

I just bought the TSC Huskee 28 ton (made by Speeco). With the 10% sale it was $1349. The 22 ton would be under $1000.00 with the discount. The Speeco splitters are hard to beat for the price, and support is excellent.

/ Any deals out there on new log splitters? #9  
I have a Swisher 22 ton that I got from Rural King last year on the day after Thanksgiving with a 30% off coupon. Came out to about $750 with tax. The deal was unbeatable. Rural King carries both Speedco and Swisher, so I was able to compare them side by side. Both had some good features but I bought the Swisher because it was still "Made in the USA" not " Assembled in the USA" like the Speedco and it also has a disconnect clutch for cold weather starting. The good points on the Speedco were the built in log cradle and the stripper if you get a log stuck on the wedge. The Swisher uses an actual I beam not plates welded together and the engine on the 22 ton model was larger than the 22 ton Speedco. I also heat my house with wood and so far I have split about 20 cords, it works great. I'm sure you couldn't go wrong with either brand. Jack

/ Any deals out there on new log splitters? #10  
For a 3 pt tractor mount, a question is, does your tractor have Rear Hyd fittings? and how much flow?

I have a b7800 and got a 3pt and Rear pto pump splitter. It's all self contained, and I think it was my best option for my scenario.

I run the tractor at 1800 rpm and at 16t it has split anything and everything I have been able to load onto it! As fast as I can load/split, toss and load again... it's a great work out!

You can find sub 1k splitters 20t 3pt type for <1K, but if you need the pump and hyd containment it will be 1.3k+ depending on shipping to your location.

Lots of examples, and you should search around, Woodsplittersdirect.com is where I got mine (drop shipped direct from supplier). Super easy.