Another help pick a tractor thread

/ Another help pick a tractor thread #11  
How much of a difference will be between a 30-35 horse backhoe/loader's abilities vs a 40-45? We would like something that is relatively nimble to get around in but also can do a good amount of work.

I think you will find that there is often a pretty big difference between the 30-35hp CUT class and the 40-45hp. It depends on the manufacturer to some extent but in general you will see a pretty substantial uptick in tractor weight, loader power and obviously PTO power.

For regular mowing I don't think there would be a substantial benefit as you will likely be able to use a six foot mower on either size and the 45hp is not really big enough to justify an eight foot bush hog for example. Obviously with more PTO power you'd be able to mow faster in tall grass or brush with the bigger mower but if you mowed regularly then there really would not be much difference (again assuming you are using the same size mower).

For loader work there would be a big benefit. I don't recall the numbers for JD or Kubota exactly but for the Kioti line going from 35hp (CK35) to 40hp (DK40se) takes you from about a 1200lb lift capacity to a 2700lb lift capacity for example.

For backhoe work the issue is not so much tractor power as tractor size and again you would generally run a 7 or 8ft BH on a 30-35hp machine but could easily move up to a 9ft BH on a 40-45. The 30hp has the hydraulic power to run the bigger BH but the stress on the tractor frame would be the reason it is not recommended.

/ Another help pick a tractor thread #12  
Take a look at the Massey 1533/1540 or the newer 1635/1641. Both models share the same frame, hydraulics and loader but differ in the HP and PTO output. I picked up a 1533 and with the loader/weighted rear tires comes in around 5000lbs. They're a mid size compact tractor and might be a good option paired with a backhoe.