Kubota 3710 or 4310 GST or HST?

/ Kubota 3710 or 4310 GST or HST? #1  

woodyed

I am seriously looking at both models but can't decide on transmission choice. Going to have a LA682 FEL installed and will be pulling a Wood's model 72 brush hog. At a later I date will probably be using a 2 bottom plow also. Brush hogging about 2 acres and will be plowing probably 1/2 acre. Gentle sloping terrain for the brush hogging and fairly flat land for the plowing. Grass (timothy, clover, treefoil) can get heavy and high in certain spots. Which transmission choice would you recommend for these conditions in these tractor models? FEL usage would be primarily just moving dirt and gravel from one place to another on my land. Thanks for all responses and opinions.

/ Kubota 3710 or 4310 GST or HST? #2  
After the fireworks in the gear vs HST debate, do you honestly expect responses to a virtually identical thread? /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

Seriously, read the raging debate complete with smoke (and the occasional flames) in the other thread. Just be sure to watch how you word things! /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif

Pete

/ Kubota 3710 or 4310 GST or HST? #3  
My advice to you is to go and test drive both of them, and see which you like better. The gear might make the plowing a little easier, but for only 1/2 an acre it wouldn't be that big a deal.

/ Kubota 3710 or 4310 GST or HST?
Boondox,
I did read this thread with much interest. There was much use of the word "gear" and "shuttle" which confused me. There was almost no mention of the "GST" , of which I have read about. When I saw the word "gear", I thought it referrred to the manual shift (H-shift pattern) transmission. As you can probably surmise, I am fairly new at the new tractor terminology and hydrostatic or glide shift transmissions. When someone says "gear", are they referring to the hyrostatic/glide transmission? Please get me up-to-date on the current terminology. Thanks.

/ Kubota 3710 or 4310 GST or HST? #5  
woodyed,

Without contributing to another long thread on whether one is better than the other:

IMHO (in my humble opinion)

If you can afford the extra cost of the HST model I would highly recommend that. For the tractor rookie, of which I still qualify (don't be fooled by the gold member thingy I just like to type and talk alot), it is just simpler to operate. Keep in mind that this is just my OPINION. I purchased an HST and although I was going to purchase a gear drive tractor (test drove many) I am darn glad I did.

/ Kubota 3710 or 4310 GST or HST?
tdenny,
Again I have to ask, when you say "gear drive tractor", what type of transmission are you referring to, the old manual shift or some form of new hyrostatic transmission. When I read someone's post stating a "geared" transmission, I immediately thought they were referring to the old manual shift setup. Am I wrong on this?

/ Kubota 3710 or 4310 GST or HST? #7  
<font color=blue>"When someone says "gear", are they referring to the hyrostatic/glide transmission?"</font color=blue>

Since no one else has jumped in to answer this question for you, I'll give it a go.

I believe that when people use the term "gear", that is exactly what they mean. You must manually shift the transmission, including pushing the clutch in and out.

The glide/shuttle transmissions (different names by different manufacturers for the same basic thing) allow you to shift from forward to reverse by moving a lever that is usually mounted on the steering column, without using the clutch. This is only true if you're staying in the same gear range. If you want to change ranges, you'd need to stop, clutch, then go.

The true hydrostatics don't use clutches. Some, like the Class III Boomers, don't even have clutch pedals. You can change direction by using a treadle pedal (Kubota) or by pressing on the forward pedal or the reverse pedal (JD and NH). I'm not entirely clear what some of the other manufacturers, such as PT, Kioti, MF, Case, etc. use.

That's a brief explanation. I know that there are guys out there that are much more knowledgeable than I, and if I incorrectly explained anything, then 1) they'll make sure to let you (and me /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif) know, and 2) I apologize for adding to your confusion. I guess that it would mean that I'm even more confused than I realized I was! /w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif

Note: Kioti does not, at this time, have a hydrostatic transmission. Word is that they will come out with one this fall for their compacts up to 30hp.

/ Kubota 3710 or 4310 GST or HST? #8  
Ahhh... A topic of much strife! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Gear guys have their view, HST guys have theirs as well.

I'll just say that there are +'s & -'s to BOTH. Anyone who says otherwise is not being 100% honest with you or themselves (assuming they believe what they are spouting).

It all boils down to what YOU will be happy with long term....

Good luck! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Kubota 3710 or 4310 GST or HST? #9  
woodyed,

Sorry, I am referrring to a manual type of tranny, either H pattern between your legs, shift by the fender, etc. where you will need to use a clutch and usually come to a stop to change gears. I'm not at all familiar with shuttle shifts, etc. These are the only types of gear driven tractors that I've driven.

/ Kubota 3710 or 4310 GST or HST? #10  
<font color=blue>If you want to change ranges, you'd need to stop, clutch, then go.</font color=blue>
Golfgar4
Will clutch be needed to stop? /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif
/w3tcompact/icons/hmm.gif More controversy!! /w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif
Your explanation makes sense to me. /w3tcompact/icons/tongue.gif But I own a Hydrostatic tractor. /w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif