Comparison Bobcat SkidSteer versus Utility Tractor

/ Bobcat SkidSteer versus Utility Tractor #21  
Here is a link to the Bobcat history. You have to select the chapters. I found it very interesting how they evolved, into not only the Bobcat of today, but the skidsteer industry.

Our Story - Bobcat Company

/ Bobcat SkidSteer versus Utility Tractor #22  
"I wouldn't go that far...

Skidsteers and tracked loaders have tons of implements, and can do tons of tasks. Probably more than a CUT or Utility tractor. Having used both, the SS can do a lot more than a CUT...."

I am going that far and will go even further. Saying that a SS can do "a lot more" than a CUT is a load of horse-apples.

Hitch the sickle mower up to the SS and cut some Bermuda....oh, wait, you can't. Hitch the SS up to the square baler and bale that bermuda.....oh, wait, you can't.

Hitch the SS up to the 10' disc and plow that Bermuda field....oh, wait, you can't.

Hitch the bucket and 3-pt spears up and haul a couple of round bales down the road to the lease.....oh, wait, can't do that with the SS.

To say the SS is superior on the farm for all general duties to the tractor is ludicrous. I like SS's fine and they are GREAT for some things. They are not a GP tractor, werent' meant to be, and simply can't by virtue of their design.

Sorry, RobertN, I don't know whether you're being inane or simply having a stroke, but your argument is ridiculous. Ridiculous.

/ Bobcat SkidSteer versus Utility Tractor
Maybe I am nuts, but, my current thinking is this:

Get the bobcat now...S185
Use the UTV to pull the fields

Get a "real" tractor in a couple of years...I dont need to mow now as I have no grass with the cedar clearing...I still have a lot of clearing to do and I think the BrushCat on the bobcat is the best attachment outside of the water powered mulchers...

/ Bobcat SkidSteer versus Utility Tractor #24  
The skid steer and the utility tractor are both VERY versatile tools which can do many things. Some of the things even overlap, but they can each do things that the other cannot. Where they overlap, often one is better than the other for one thing, not as good for another.

The other thing, although a skid steer is very versatile and has many implements, they tend to be more expensive than for a tractor. A 6' rotary cutter ("bush hog") will run around $5000, compared to maybe $1500 for a comparable unit for a tractor. Post hole diggers are 2x or 3x. I don't think there are any inexpensive attachments for a skid steer ;-)

You can get a skid steer to 3 pt adapter and hook up 3pt implements like a scraper blade, harrow, box blade, etc. However, you have to operate them with the skid steer going backwards. That's means twisting your neck around to see where you are going and even then the visibility is poor.

Also, maintenance costs are higher on a skid steer. Tracks and tires wear out a lot faster than tractor tires.

Ken

Skidsteers and tracked loaders have tons of implements, and can do tons of tasks. Probably more than a CUT or Utility tractor. Having used both, the SS can do a lot more than a CUT...."

I am going that far and will go even further. Saying that a SS can do "a lot more" than a CUT is a load of horse-apples.

Hitch the sickle mower up to the SS and cut some Bermuda....oh, wait, you can't. Hitch the SS up to the square baler and bale that bermuda.....oh, wait, you can't.

Hitch the SS up to the 10' disc and plow that Bermuda field....oh, wait, you can't.

Hitch the bucket and 3-pt spears up and haul a couple of round bales down the road to the lease.....oh, wait, can't do that with the SS.

To say the SS is superior on the farm for all general duties to the tractor is ludicrous. I like SS's fine and they are GREAT for some things. They are not a GP tractor, werent' meant to be, and simply can't by virtue of their design.

Sorry, RobertN, I don't know whether you're being inane or simply having a stroke, but your argument is ridiculous. Ridiculous.

/ Bobcat SkidSteer versus Utility Tractor #25  

Get the Deere now...320D

Get a "real" tractor in a couple of years...I dont need to mow now as I have no grass with the cedar clearing...I still have a lot of clearing to do and I think the BrushCat on the bobcat is the best attachment outside of the water powered mulchers...

Good plan.

ps I fixed it for you, LOL

/ Bobcat SkidSteer versus Utility Tractor #26  
I generally agree with your original post.

I NEVER said the Skidsteer was superior to a CUT on the FARM. My point was/is, Skidsteers can do LOTS of stuff. Ie, the implement selection is amazing. In MY experience, a SS can do more. Easier. Not all of that is geared towards a farm though.

I would not, label Skidsteers as specialized, is my point. They are about as specialized as a CUT is.

"Generally", I would say, based on my use of a number of CUT's/Utilities and a number of skidsteers, that a Skidsteer can do more stuff. Is all that stuff geared towards the farm? No. So no, you will not plow the field with a SS. And, you will not run a baler. You can however, speer a round bale. Or, just use a hay squeeze(both available from Bobcat). They even have TnT. I mean, just looking at the Bobcat site, they have tons of tools. That does not even factor in the aftermarket.

All Attachments - Bobcat Company

With my CUT though, I can not do many of the things a SS can do. I can not run a stump grinder. I can not run surface planer. I can not run a breaker. I can not run a forestry cutter. I don't know of any utility tractors that can either. Now, my CUT is a Kubota "B" series; I can not pull a 10' plow/disc, nor run a baler. But, I can do a nice job keeping my road up and working ditches with my scraper on the 3pt, especially with tip/tilt.

Another thing that I like, is I can rent lots of tools for a skidsteer. We just did concrete at my house. My CUT sat parked while I used a rented breaker on my buddies Bobcat. Had to bust out a bunch of rock. The local rental places rent attachments, as does the local Bobcat dealer. Some other brand dealers do to.

I can not find any place to rent CUT/3pt attachments in the greater Sacramento area; that is a big market with all major tractor manufacturers represented.

In regards to 3pt equipment, ASV did make a rear 3pt setup and hydraulic driven PTO for their track type "skidsteers".

A skid steer can do lots of stuff. A CUT/Utility can do lots of stuff. Both do some things that the other can not. Both overlap too.

In regards to being GP, they ARE on in the general construction field, where they are more flexible than a CUT.

In my case, sitting on 5 acres, mowing, scraping, loading, and ASV RC30 could do all of that. The hard part is, at about 2x the price of my CUT. So, I use my CUT, and borrow my buddies $30,000 skidsteer when I need to, and rent attachments he does not have..

And Joe, In regards to being inane or having a stroke, that was plain rude and uncalled for.

/ Bobcat SkidSteer versus Utility Tractor #27  
I have used my buddies S185 a lot. Great machine. A real workhorse with a 4 in 1 bucket. For clearing and such though, and uneven ground, I would look at the tracked units. I have used a CAT the same size/hp as the S185, but it had the track system. It was much more stable, handled wet stuff much better, and did not thrash your kidneys like they wheeled versions do.

The brush clearers in my area all use big tracked ASV's with forestry heads on them; they do not used the wheeled skidsteers. And they go in to some rough rocky stuff.

The other thing that is nice, is the electric over hydraulic joystick setups. The CAT and ASV units I rented had them. Really like that better than the foot treadle loader and big handles the S185 has. I now that is an option for the S185, just my buddy has the more standard controls; I just have not used the Bobcat version.

Some have mentioned get a tractor, rent a skidsteer. I rented various machines. They ran about $200-250/day.

Get the bobcat now...S185

Get a "real" tractor in a couple of years...

/ Bobcat SkidSteer versus Utility Tractor #28  
I has two tractors and after having limited lift capacity, limited attachments, limited mobility ( in sand even a 4x4 gets stuck but never with a track loader ) .
Then there is the numerous flats while working in brush, twigs, thorns, sharp rocks - I think I paid enough in tire repairs to but several sets of tires.

I went Skid steer and have never been happier. In a typical day I hook up the back hoe, then disconnect and put on the trencher, then the grappler, and back to the crane attachment for lifting and moving trees.

Granted I can't plow field but other than that there is no competition on what one can get done with a skid steer over a tractor.

Connection my back hoe is done in a few minutes where as with the tractor it was miserable. Seems with the tractor I almost always needed another person to help to help with something when I was switching things.

Now with the SS, I can work all day long and never need anyone for help.
I can switch from a variety of buckets, and yes I have several styles for various needs, and I never leave the can, just pull up and throw a switch and I'm connected, pull up throw a switch and I'm disconnected and onto my next bucket.

Hay - not a problem they have spears for that, round bale look up the FFC Hay Bale Squeeze LAF1960

The ride with air suspended seats is not a problem actually more comfortable than my Kubota.

Best explanation for a SS is they are the Swiss Army Knife of tractors.

The biggest thing id the lifting capacity on the CC, I can't tell you how much that makes a difference.

Oh and that "tippy" thing, I'm carrying a 25' tall Palm tree that weighs more than I'm supposed to be lifting with the SS, there was no "tipping" involved.

Notice the bucket of THORNS, that darn near penetrate steel:). No no rubber tires in that field.

skid.jpg

tree.jpg

tree2.jpg