Comparison Bobcat SkidSteer versus Utility Tractor

/ Bobcat SkidSteer versus Utility Tractor #1  

lfalkenh

I am replacing my Kubota M6040 with a new tool (dont ask what happened to it...)...Here is my situation:

- 100+ acres
- Recently cleared of large cedar, remaining cedar mostly seedlings and under oak trees
- Need to be able to drag the fields
- Large elevation changes (100+ feet over 1000 ft distance)
- Mostly rocky soil (not much grass from clearing cedar)
- Need to be able to put out round bales for cattle (1000+ lbs)

Because of the cedar situation, I am thinking that maybe a skid steer would be a better investment due to the clearing opportunities and manuverability than with another tractor. If I was to buy another tractor, I may step down to the 50+ HP range versus the 58 HP M6040 (a great tractor btw)...

Anyone use a skid steer in a rocky, uneven environment?

/ Bobcat SkidSteer versus Utility Tractor #2  
I think another M Kubota is the way to go. Get a FEL grapple bucket
to pull and move brush and trees.

I do not own a SS, but I have used them. For your situation, you may
need to pull things, like a trailer, or skidding logs. SS's can't do that.
SS's are VERY tippy, so they can more easily roll over on sloped or
rocky terrain. You have a lot of land and SS's travel across open
ground or roads slower than a tractor. Finally, if you use a backhoe
attachment, they work much better on a tractor.

/ Bobcat SkidSteer versus Utility Tractor #3  
I'm not sure why you are thinking "skid steer". For "dragging", I think a tractor would be better. You can also mow with a tractor to keep the weeds and new cedars down.

A tractor is more stable for handling round bales. I have B2710, M5040 and M9540 Kubota tractors. I also have a skid steer. The skid is great for clearing trails, digging, etc. but I can't see giving up a tractor.

As dfkrug mentioned, skids are short wheel base and not as stable as a tractor. Also, side and rear visibility is poor with a ss compared to a tractor. Backing up a ss is difficult unless you are in an open area with nothing to watch for.

Don't get me wrong, I love my skid steer, but it comes in second in priority to the tractor.

Ken

/ Bobcat SkidSteer versus Utility Tractor #4  
I would not want to be lifting bales very high with a SS, would think very tippy, but I've never done.

Would think a tractor more versitile than SS.

Joel

/ Bobcat SkidSteer versus Utility Tractor #5  
I went from a CUT to a ss and back to a CUT. When it comes to just loader work ss are hard to beat but if you get in mud deeper than the belly your are gonna get stuck. The tracked loaders are alot better but still will not go where a 4x4 CUT will. Also the SS will tear up the ground more in you pasture. I just found the all around function of the tractor was much better. Rent a big tracted SS for a day or two and push all your cedars. Also I think the overall cost on maintance is lower for the tractor.

/ Bobcat SkidSteer versus Utility Tractor #6  
I'm sure not the final authority on this but after owning a tractor and renting a skidsteer I'd vote tractor. I rented a skid before I had the tractor and it was great at moving dirt quickly but in general I can do more with my tractor.

/ Bobcat SkidSteer versus Utility Tractor #7  
Skid steers are great for picking up square bales with a grapple but not good with round bales...with a tractor you can put a spear on both ends. Skid steers are great for a lot of things but not dragging or doing anything for a distance unless the ground is VERY smooth. The short wheelbase will beat you to death. Go rent one for a day and try to do all of the things you envision using it for.....I suspect you'll prefer a tractor.

/ Bobcat SkidSteer versus Utility Tractor #8  
Another thing with a skid steer: although they may have plenty of lift capacity, if you do move a round bale and go down a slight hill, they will be very unstable with weight like that forward and heading downhill. Loads on hills that are very comfortable with a tractor are very nerve wracking in a skid.

My ss has a rated lift capacity of 2500# and a "tipping load" of 5000#. But a bucketful of dirt going downhill may tip it forward onto the bucket :eek: Now with a bucket, you can slide it across the ground and protect yourself, but with a round bale, you can't drag it along.

Ken

/ Bobcat SkidSteer versus Utility Tractor #9  
Another in agreeance.

Skid steers are not the most stable platforms and if you're in rough, rocky, uneven conditions then that'll be one jarring ride. They're great for loading/working in reasonable terrain and doing specialty work but they aren't great all-purpose tools.

You'll find the tractor a far more versatile and capable machine if not as specialized in a few areas as the skid steer.

/ Bobcat SkidSteer versus Utility Tractor #10  
IMO most of the comments about skidsteers are way of base.

A skidloader with steel over the tire tracks is very stable and will go many more places than a tractor will.

Can't beat a skidloader for handling bales unless you have to run over very long distances like picking up bales in the field.

Not exactly sure what dragging fields means but a reckon a tractor will work better for that but most likely can be done with a skidloader.