How much HP? Any suggestions for make and mode?

/ How much HP? Any suggestions for make and mode? #1  

CaptainJDS

Tractor
Looking to make a purchase soon
Howdy!

We just purchased 8 acres in East Texas. I'll finish cut 1 acre, around the house, and till 1/4-1/2 acres for a garden, brush hog the rest as needed. We'll have cattle, so I'll need to move some hay. I've been told to get a front end loader. Used is preferrable, but not mandatory. I can turn a wrench, but repairing/troubleshooting engine troubles is not my best attribute. I'm thinking diesel, and would like some advice on horsepower, implements, make and models.

Thanks,
J.D.

/ How much HP? Any suggestions for make and mode? #2  
Somewhere in the range of 40-50 HP. 4X4 becasue the newer tractors are so light that without 4x4 and something in the bucket you will not be able to move very well. If you are using round bales you will need the bigger tractor for weight to handle them. There will be many suggestions and you have to decide.

/ How much HP? Any suggestions for make and mode? #3  
Depemding on the bale size I would consider a 3x20 and 4x20 series Deere with ehydro and add in the extra hydraulics and cab.

/ How much HP? Any suggestions for make and mode? #4  
Howdy!

We just purchased 8 acres in East Texas. I'll finish cut 1 acre, around the house, and till 1/4-1/2 acres for a garden, brush hog the rest as needed. We'll have cattle, so I'll need to move some hay. I've been told to get a front end loader. Used is preferrable, but not mandatory. I can turn a wrench, but repairing/troubleshooting engine troubles is not my best attribute. I'm thinking diesel, and would like some advice on horsepower, implements, make and models.

Thanks,
J.D.

Well, you could do your chores on 8 acres with the Kubota B7510HST (21 hp engine, 17 hp pto) with the LA302 FEL (800 lb lift) that I used initially on my 10 acre spread. Paid $12.6K new in May05. Don't know what they cost now. You can get a mid-mount mower for the 7510 to handle the finish mowing chore but it's pricy--$3K or more. A finish mower for the 3pt hitch will cost less.

CountyLine Rear Discharge Finish Mower, 5 ft. - 2120547 | Tractor Supply Company

I tilled my veg garden with the 7510 using a pre-owned $300 Yanmar RS1200 rototiller (48" wide).

Ran a $600 King Kutter 4-ft brush hog with no problem.

You say you want to move hay--small squares, large squares, rounds? No problem moving a couple of small squares in the FEL bucket. Larger bales may be more of a problem for a 7510-size tractor. If so, step up to 30-35hp models.

/ How much HP? Any suggestions for make and mode? #5  
I think all of your chores with the exception possibly of moving hay bales can be done with almost any size compact utility tractor.

From what you described, I think the biggest factor in deciding what size of tractor is what size bales you need to move. If it is going to be or must be large round bales, they are heavy and you'll need a heavier duty loader/bale spear, and more counter weight, and just overall a heavier tractor, than if you are talking smaller square bales. I had 23 acres in Michigan and we had horses but similar chores.

I had a Ford 2N (like a 8N or 9N) with no loader and no tiller but I had a plow and disc for gardening, 5' brush hog, 5' rear finish mower, and back blade.

If I were to do it again, I would look at about a 25-35 HP hydrostatic 4wd compact tractor with loader and rear rototiller, 4 or 5' brush hog, rear blade and/or box blade and finish mower. I would probably opt for a 3PH rear finish mower and leave the loader on all the time rather than a mid mount mower which would be more difficult to swap out.

But this assumes you are not talking about moving large round bales. They can weigh from 1100 to 2200 pounds. I would either not use them or get a larger tractor than I described above.

The bales of hay I fed with were the rectangular bales that weighed about 75 pounds each.

Last edited:
   / How much HP? Any suggestions for make and mode?
Thanks for all the advice. I really appreciate the help. We have mostly round bales in this part of E. Texas, but some occasional square bales. I understand the round bales need a bigger tractor to move 'em.

J.D.

/ How much HP? Any suggestions for make and mode? #7  
I suggest a 1600 series MF, with either Powershuttle, or DynaQPS.

/ How much HP? Any suggestions for make and mode? #8  
Thanks for all the advice. I really appreciate the help. We have mostly round bales in this part of E. Texas, but some occasional square bales. I understand the round bales need a bigger tractor to move 'em.

J.D.
The round bales, are they hay (at least 84% dry matter) or some kind of silage (that need plastic wrapping). A round bale of hay weights 400-800 pounds depending on size and how compact the round baler can make them.
If you are using silage then the weights GPintheMitten wrote are correct.

If you don't need to move the round bales with a FEL (e.g. not lifting high) there are bale spears for the rear 3pt and you can use a smaller tractor compared to using a FEL.

/ How much HP? Any suggestions for make and mode? #9  
The main thing that you must consider is how much do want to spend? If you are okay with $25,000 then I would suggest a new tractor, but if you want to spend $10,000 you would be looking at something used. I know it can depend on the size of round bale, but you can easily find 4x5 round bales weighing that 800-1000 lbs and 4x6 bales from 1200-1600 lbs. A 40 hp tractor can lift one on the front end but if done alot it can hurt the front axles. Lifting one up on the 3pt is not as hard on one as long as it does not have a weak rear axle(stamped steel or outboard planetary). The main thing is just how much you want to spend and what you are lifting with it.

/ How much HP? Any suggestions for make and mode? #10  
I suggest a 1600 series MF, with either Powershuttle, or DynaQPS.

I was told by my local MF dealer just whatever you do just stay away from the 26-- series they came out with told me a few customers brought them and 2have allready gotten rid of them couple others are still waiting on parts then said they are doing same and the rest are running around and saying (Wife says I cant say those words). But if the dealer says stay away then I did could'nt afford the 15-- series I wanted I live in NE Texas