What Tractor

/ What Tractor #21  
"Now I know what kind I should look for. As for a "good" tractor, what specifically should I be looking for. I am assuming I don't want somethign that smokes and that sounds normal. I am not a mechanic but enjoy working on cars....."

In a number of ways, you can equate looking at used tractors just like looking at used, classic cars.

-Check for leaks on the unit and ask to see where the unit has been sitting. I always like to see where it has been parked for signs on the ground.
-Check the fluids.......engine oil, radiator, tranny, etc. Milky or burnt or cruddy......you know the story.
-See how it fires up...crisp and clean or sputtering and smokey.
-Wheels and tires? If you know cars, you can spot the good and bad on a tractor.
-Clutch? Crisp and strong or weak and spongey?

On and on.....

Someone above mentioned an 8N Ford. Good as they come for a simple old tractor and if you know anything about carb'ed engines from the 1950s then it'll just come to you. Lots of them out there for sale in anywhere from moderate to great condition for $2-4k. Massey Ferguson TO-20/30s are their kissin' cousins so consider them the same if you go in this direction.

/ What Tractor #22  
Internet lag being what it is.......

New, if you're really wanting a loader on your tractor then having it on one of these older Ford/MF tractors is not the ideal. The loaders are out there and you might even find one of these tractors with one on them............but they are very limited. I wouldn't consider one for more than occasional light dirt work or utility stuff. If you want to use it for moving bales or serious loader work they are not your huckleberry at all.

/ What Tractor
Thank you all. I have been off of here for a while but I just read through everyone's opinion and I really appreciate it. I grew up on mowers, my dad had an old John Deer rider that had the front log splitter and snow blower. Recently I haven't been on a tractor or mower, coming from an aptartment. I think I can learn pretty quickly, at least I am hoping I can get comfortable.

In reference to the small squares vs the rounds, I don't know much. I am not a horse person but my wife is. She plans on getting another couple horses and I think that is why we are starting out on the rounds.

The plan for the 15K would be perfect but I am looking more at the 5K range now, knowing that I may have to adjust that.

I don't have a lot of experience with the old carbs but I have done a lot of work to my jeep and the rest of our cars. My best friend is a Chevy Mechanic so I figure I can always call him.

I have been looking at the old Fords. I am starting my search now so when I have to start doing stuff, hopefully I would have found one.

/ What Tractor
I found a Shibaura 2200 with a FEL on CL. It looks like a pretty good tractor. Is this going to be one of the tractors I will have a hard time finding parts for? It looks like it might be similiar to the Fords?

/ What Tractor #25  
Yes, that was the builder of the later model Fords, before they merged/morphed into NewHolland.
Might want to chat this up in the Grey Market forum and see if you could get some guidance. My gut tells me parts are tough to come by and mighty dear in price if you can. Just a guess.

/ What Tractor #26  
if i were going to look into an older or used tractor, instead of an 8N i would step up to a jubilee, or its successor a 600. a jubilee which came out in 1953 is a lot more tractor than an 8N and also has a live lift. usually these can be had for about the same money. regarding a loader on an older tractor, i doubt you would be happy without power steering, but on the other hand, if you need a loader, any loader is better than none. i have owned a few through the years without ps and they are tough. on the power steering issue, if you are a tinkerer, power assist can be add to almost anything, i have used a power assist, some call it a power slave cylinder and the centering valve setup off ford passenger cars in the 60's and 70's. some were in production much later with this system. i just bought a setup off ebay a year or so ago, i am going to put on a ford 600 one of these days. best regards

/ What Tractor #27  
Here are my two cents: Although the 8n is a great tractor, it doesn't have live PTO (which means that once you push in the clutch to back up, your PTO stops). This will cause problems when you're mowing. If you are partial to an older tractor, I would go with a Ford 860 if you can find one. It is a beefier tractor (30-40 hp).

/ What Tractor #28  
Look at the Ford 2000-4000 series. You can find them with external hydraulics and all have live PTO and most have power steering. They can be had for $3-5000 range in fair shape. Take a look at TractorData.com for specs on most tractors and Tractorhouse.com for used tractors and equipment to get an idea of what the asking price is. Likely most can be had for much less than the listing if you show them the greenbacks especially those that have been listed for a long time. This link has a 2000 with loader for 7500 but they also list some 2000 Fords for $2750
1972 FORD 2000 Less than 40 HP For Sale At TractorHouse.com

/ What Tractor #29  
I used a 2N and 8N growing up and later we bought a new 56 600 that we still have as well as a couple other 600 series tractors. Do your research on these and the differences in when they were made as the gearing is different in the 54 and 56. Some years had more problems with 3 PH control. Be sure to pick one with live PTO and low 1st gear. I owned an 840 with PS and 5 speed transmission and it was a really strong tractor. In my area the 8N's are overpriced and I would go with a newer model which is a better tractor and value for the dollar. We don't use ours too much, but like to have them around.