Bulldozer and 3/4 ton truck

/ Bulldozer and 3/4 ton truck #31  
I used to have an International TD-9 that I moved with my 3/4 ton dodge diesel. The TD-9 was 90 HP and around 16000 lbs. I have a 32' gooseneck that I pulled it on. Yes, it was over the weight rating of the truck by quite a bit and I wouldn't want to pull it 300 miles, but for moving it between my pieces of land five miles apart it worked just fine.

Here's the deal with bulldozers---they break. When they break (there is no IF THEY BREAK, only WHEN), they're expensive to fix. Not just kind of expensive like some foreign car where you have to pay $300 for an alternator, but REALLY expensive like $2000 for a set of injectors. Blow out a transmission on one and be prepared to mortgage your house to fix it, no joke. Any bulldozer that the average person can afford for personal use has seen it's better days and is being sold because the business that owns it feels that it's no longer reliable enough, they expect it to break down so you should also. I personally wouldn't touch a chinese made bulldozer, we used to have a Belarus tractor (russian I know) so I've been through that fiasco. I'm done with any heavy equipment made in a communist or former communist country.

99.999% of all landowners out there would be better off renting a dozer when they need one. Take a couple of days off work, rent a good sized dozer, have it delivered and run the snot out of it from daylight to dusk. Have them come pick it up and be done with it. You'll get a well maintained new machine and they'll be responsible for any breakdowns unless it's obvious abuse. Trust me, you'll come out much better in the long run that way.

/ Bulldozer and 3/4 ton truck #32  
I used to have an International TD-9 that I moved with my 3/4 ton dodge diesel. The TD-9 was 90 HP and around 16000 lbs. I have a 32' gooseneck that I pulled it on. Yes, it was over the weight rating of the truck by quite a bit and I wouldn't want to pull it 300 miles, but for moving it between my pieces of land five miles apart it worked just fine.

Here's the deal with bulldozers---they break. When they break (there is no IF THEY BREAK, only WHEN), they're expensive to fix. Not just kind of expensive like some foreign car where you have to pay $300 for an alternator, but REALLY expensive like $2000 for a set of injectors. Blow out a transmission on one and be prepared to mortgage your house to fix it, no joke. Any bulldozer that the average person can afford for personal use has seen it's better days and is being sold because the business that owns it feels that it's no longer reliable enough, they expect it to break down so you should also. I personally wouldn't touch a chinese made bulldozer, we used to have a Belarus tractor (russian I know) so I've been through that fiasco. I'm done with any heavy equipment made in a communist or former communist country.

99.999% of all landowners out there would be better off renting a dozer when they need one. Take a couple of days off work, rent a good sized dozer, have it delivered and run the snot out of it from daylight to dusk. Have them come pick it up and be done with it. You'll get a well maintained new machine and they'll be responsible for any breakdowns unless it's obvious abuse. Trust me, you'll come out much better in the long run that way.

Good advice. Just the normal service parts. are pretty pricey on the loader I have. The track system is Cat D6, but pricing various pieces have been a real eye opener.

/ Bulldozer and 3/4 ton truck
I know the OP was asking about transport and not the dozer but I have to sort of agree with some of the other posters here.

"I just can't see where something that light would do much of anything but finish grade loose dirt. It would sure surprise me if it will take out a 12" tree..."

One thing that gives me more heebie-jeebies than Chinese tractors are these little Chinese mini-dozers. They are so light and their construction is so iffy by reputation that I couldn't spend any money on them. Granted, all second/third-hand info but rarely do I hear glowing remarks about the little Yuchais and more often mild-severe consternation over them.

As above, a 12" tree would be a good enough little job for the garden variety 450/D-3/D-31 if it had any kind of root system/ball.........shed half the horsepower and almost the same percentage in weight using one of the little ChiCom dozers and I'm packing a lunch.

I've often thought a good 50-60hp with FWA, FEL, and rear box/grader blade might actually accomplish more real work while weighing less than one of these mini-dozers. As well, a good similar size skid steer could do a lot of damage.

As for hauling it around on a gooseneck with a 3/4 ton...........I don't see a problem with that assuming breaks, lights, tires, and wiring is good and you get it lashed down well for the ride.

I have a 12k lb cap trailer now and really do not want to buy another trailer for just the dozer. I do not plan on uprooting any trees, the trees I am talking about is what they cut and leave behind (loggers can be messy!!) I am also looking at the Komatsu D21. I will be clearing some underbrush, maintaining a 300ft drive way and taking care of some erosion issues. I do not plan on uprooting any large trees. The only trees I like to deal with on a dozer are already down. I like the idea of the 3pt setup but the Nortrac dozer does look small. The 3pt and weight caught my eye more than anything.

/ Bulldozer and 3/4 ton truck
Here is the company in Oregon I spoke of.

Jinma Tractors,Mahindra Tractors at affordable prices in Oregon,California,Colorado,Washington-USA - #catagory { color:#990000;

Also go to youtube and put in Yuchai and you will see all kinds of vids of what they can do.

Make sure you know what you are buying. You can get them with power shift or not. Rubber or steel tracks. You can also get a standard blade, 6 way blade, and a FEL option. Some can have multiple options like 6 way blade and quick detach FEL. Call Keno and they can give you the skinny. Many have bought from this guy even as far away as Nova Scotia.

Chris

Thanks for the links, Chris. I wish someone near me had one I could inspect.

/ Bulldozer and 3/4 ton truck #35  

I don't want to jinx myself... My little D3 has given my very good service over the last 13 years... I replaced the steering clutches when I bought it and a battery 3 years ago.

I do agree, renting a Dozer for a one time project is the way to go...

Caterpillar Parts are easy to get and the counter guys are very knowledgeable...

My situation requires on-going fire trail maintenance and after scheduling problems I decided to buy...

/ Bulldozer and 3/4 ton truck #36  
" I wish someone near me had one I could inspect."

Don't know where you are but I'm in south MS off I 59 and have a Mitsubishi bd2 you could look at, try out, buy. approx 9000#.

/ Bulldozer and 3/4 ton truck #37  

I partly agree with gary on these points. Bulldozers do break, I've had 2 breakdowns now in about 30 hours of operation. Nothing major, under $1000 for both repairs.

I would disagree 99.999% of all landowners should rent. If you have a lot of land, or a big job to do, I would contend you're better off buying, using, repairing, and selling. I've rented a dozer 2 times in the past. It worked out great the 1st time, the second time I essentially threw away $1200 for a weekend of fun on the machine....and quickly realized I will need a dozer for several months for what I want to do. (86 acres)

Many people do exactly that, buy it, use it, sell it. You also have to be prepared to do the repairs, hopefully you won't have a major breakdown. So careful shopping is critical. Get a professional appraisal of the machine before you buy. Shop the auctions. I got a great deal on my dozer at an auction, so I can do several more repairs, do all the work I want, and still break even.

/ Bulldozer and 3/4 ton truck #38  
I agree with scoutcub, I could go out and bury our D6 and Case 310 dozer and I would have made money on them 10 times over easily. People are always going on about the costs of dozers. Yes they cost money to maintain, everything does. Go out and do the work that you normally do with a dozer with a wheeled tractor and let me know what your maintenance costs are. Better yet go rent that nice new machine from the rental yard 30-40-50 times over a couple of years. Be sure to let us know how cost effective that was, and by the way, it was so convenient to just make that phone call and have that machine delivered to your property each and every time.:rolleyes:

If you need to rent more than once or twice, then you need the tool.

Just my opinion, others do vary. ;)

/ Bulldozer and 3/4 ton truck #39  
"I would disagree 99.999% of all landowners should rent. If you have a lot of land, or a big job to do, I would contend you're better off buying, using, repairing, and selling. I've rented a dozer 2 times in the past. It worked out great the 1st time, the second time I essentially threw away $1200 for a weekend of fun on the machine....and quickly realized I will need a dozer for several months for what I want to do. (86 acres)...."

Wholeheartedly disagree. Gary owns this one.

Hey, I love dozers. I've wanted one for years and years. But, they are too darned much money for me, the casual user, to risk on.

That theory sounds great until those "repairs" should become more than what you paid for the machine or what you can get for it. Busted. Doesn't happen to everyone but it happens to a lot of the weekender, private owner who buys a 30 year dozer old that seems like a good deal and then sinks a wad of money into it replacing a tranny or an engine or something like that.

Hey, got scads of money you're looking to sink into something and all the free time to spend on it then fine.

Hire it done, count your blessings....

/ Bulldozer and 3/4 ton truck #40  
I'm in the "Go ahead and buy one and take your chances" camp. The only exception would be if you only have one small job and know that you won't need it again. If you have any kind of acreage and multiple projects, I think you will be better off buying, using, and reselling.

I've got a small 310 (not nearly as nice as Brian's), but it is quite a little workhorse. I know that people have bought older small dozers and have to sink in money for repairs, but that is true of anything. The convenience of having it around for all the various and sundry projects that pop up is worth a great deal. I've only had mine for a little over two years, but given the amount of work I've done with it, it has probably already paid for itself in rental costs. Plus, at current rates, its worth about $1000 in scrap metal, even it never moved again.

In the end, it is always a personal choice whether to buy or rent (this could be a thread about marriage as well!), but I'm happy with my little crawler.

Take care.