Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Tractor
    Kubota L48 (Ellie Mae)

Default Re: buying a tractor

I own a TroyBilt 10HP Chipper/Shredder and an 18HP HydroStatic lawn tractor. The chipper/shredder kept slipping the belt from the time I bought it until the dealer noticed that the idler assembly was on completely backwards (from the factory). It developed stress-cracks in the flange weld of two different in-feed chutes. They replaced them under warranty, but I gave up and had it welded with some reinforcements and it has held up fine since. The bearings went out - lots of labor to replace. Another weld broke. If finally threw a rod (I'll take credit for that - worked it hard) and now here I am with Elly May and Sally.

A weld that attaches the steering link plate to the front axle broke on the lawn tractor. A couple of pulleys have died on the mower deck. Something is always breaking on the mower deck. I got tired of the down time and aggravation with this one and bought a ZTR. Since its worth almost nothing, I kept it around to pull the cart and fertilizer spreader (and as a backup in case the ZTR breaks).

The chipper was pretty poor at chipping, but the shredder worked well. I keep thinking about buying another engine and using it for fall cleanup. The dealer I bought my ZTR from also carries Troybilt and he recommended that I not do this. Apparently the Troybilt chipper line has been orphaned and you can't get any parts for them anymore.

Tractor
    Mahindra 2535, Kubota L2501, Farmall Cub, Farmall 200, Farmall SuperC, JD x530, JDx320, JD GT235, JDLX176, JD Gator

Default Re: buying a tractor

The chipper I have is a Yard Machine. It works great for what it was intended: shredding leaves and yard debris into mulch. It will chew up branches from a fallen tree, but it is rather time consuming. I prefer using a 3PT PTO chipper for that.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12