Small diesel generators

/ Small diesel generators #1  

dex3361

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L4400-1 HST,FEL, 3x3 remotes, TNT. BX1500 54 mmm
I have been running the 18 year old Generac (bottom of the line 4000w gas generator) generator. I wonder if any of my fellow TBNers have any experience with the Aurora Diesel generators. I have been using the 4KW thats running since it was new for backup power. We had the heavy wet snow that hit the East Coast. I live out in the sticks and we will be out of power for 4 or 5 days with this storm. I dont want to spend a lot of money because I will not use it very often. I take good care of my equipment and it usually takes care of me. I am lookin at the 6500 watt Aurora Diesel generator and I dont want the totaly enclosed unit unless someone can sell me on the idea. Thanks guys I just wanted your opinions before I buy.

/ Small diesel generators #2  
I have been running the 18 year old Generac (bottom of the line 4000w gas generator) generator. I wonder if any of my fellow TBNers have any experience with the Aurora Diesel generators. I have been using the 4KW thats running since it was new for backup power. We had the heavy wet snow that hit the East Coast. I live out in the sticks and we will be out of power for 4 or 5 days with this storm. I dont want to spend a lot of money because I will not use it very often. I take good care of my equipment and it usually takes care of me. I am lookin at the 6500 watt Aurora Diesel generator and I dont want the totaly enclosed unit unless someone can sell me on the idea. Thanks guys I just wanted your opinions before I buy.

If its that ones I've seen on eBay, the engine is a Chinese-made Yanmar clone. The quality on these clones varies. I have an ETQ (Eastern Tool & Eqiuipment) 4200W generator with a 7HP Chinese-clone of a Yanmar L70A. I bought it used this past summer for $200 with over 2000 hours on it. It starts with the first hit of the key and runs great. This unit obviously is one of the better built clones, and may have been well maintained too.

So, where I'm heading with this, is you might want to consider an ETQ.

Regarding the enclosed models; they might be quieter. My open framed unit is loud, but probably no louder than a briggs-powered gas unit.

/ Small diesel generators
Thanks for the info. Is the ETQ unit a diesel? If so how long will it run on a gallon of fuel? I looked at the ETQ as well. I have not seen them up close and in person. I was aware that they were Chinese clones of the yanmar motors. Even some Hondas are made in China now from what I here, but I dont know this for a fact.

/ Small diesel generators #4  
Randell,
I don't know anything about that generator, but i do own a gas honda generator. Mine is 8500 surge and 6500 cont. I bought it 8 or 9 years ago when i had my fence company to use on large jobs to power tools and a compressor. Now the only time i use it is when we get a huricane. Starts on the first pull, and i think i get 10hrs to a tank (5 gal). I run my fridge, lights, tv and a large window unit with it. The only thing i don't run is the central heat and air (i have a 5 ton unit and i know it won't run it)
My BIL bought a smaller honda think its 2000 watts and he hets 8 hrs on 1.5 to 2 gal of gas and you can bearly hear it run. He use it to power a small window unit and his tv or a couple of lights. if he runs his fridge he has to unplug the window unit.
hope that helps some. and i hope you get your power back quickly.
stay warm.
Brian

/ Small diesel generators #5  
Thanks for the info. Is the ETQ unit a diesel? If so how long will it run on a gallon of fuel? I looked at the ETQ as well. I have not seen them up close and in person. I was aware that they were Chinese clones of the yanmar motors. Even some Hondas are made in China now from what I here, but I dont know this for a fact.

Yes, this one is a diesel, although they do sell gas-powered units too. This one will run about 4 hours on 1 gallon at less than 1/2 load, and is rated for 2 hours/gal at full load. The 6500W model is rated for 3 hours/gal at 1/2 load, and 1.5 hours/gal at full load.

As for the comment about Honda engines being made in China, from what I understand that is true, but they are built to Honda's specs, and subject to their inspection. The clones are not. The Chinese are master copiers. Most of the small gas powered engines coming from China are Honda knock offs, and most of the small single-cyl. air-cooled diesel coming from China are Yanmar knock offs. They see a good design and copy it.

Depending on your loads, you might want to look into the Honda or Yamaha inverter generators. Because they use an inverter, the engine doesn't have to run full speed regardless of load, so they use a lot less fuel at partial loads. They are a lot more money though.

/ Small diesel generators
Thanks guys I appreciate the feedback it will help in the decision. I would like to go with a diesel because the fuel is less volitile and when I need it I feel at risk for a fire. The unit I am now running runs between 2-2.5 hours on a 1.25 gallon tank of gasoline. That sorta gives away the age of the generator. I hope the next one I get is as reliable as this one has been.

/ Small diesel generators #7  
Thanks guys I appreciate the feedback it will help in the decision. I would like to go with a diesel because the fuel is less volitile and when I need it I feel at risk for a fire. The unit I am now running runs between 2-2.5 hours on a 1.25 gallon tank of gasoline. That sorta gives away the age of the generator. I hope the next one I get is as reliable as this one has been.

That is the same reason I got a diesel generator. Plus, you don't have to worry about the gas going bad in it, and the carb getting all gummed up. In a nutshell, it is more likely to start when you need it too (esp. if it sits most of the time, which most generators do).

/ Small diesel generators #8  
That is the same reason I got a diesel generator. Plus, you don't have to worry about the gas going bad in it, and the carb getting all gummed up. In a nutshell, it is more likely to start when you need it too (esp. if it sits most of the time, which most generators do).

Hey guys another option would be a natural gas or propane unit, there would be no problem with fuel storage or it fuel going bad either.
This is the option that I'm looking at as my current generator is a Kubota 5500 gas job and it doesn't get used often enough what with this garbage gas we have to deal with nowdays
I have had it "stored" for the last 4yrs and will use as a trade in when it's time to buy and it will a bigger unit (10 t0 12,000kw
Regards
DGS

/ Small diesel generators #9  
Why not a PTO unit?? I originally got a gas 6500/8500 watt unit and do my whole house but next time around I'm going to get a PTO unit. Even the smallest ones are over 10kw. My only concern would be having to swap back and forth to plow in the winter but considering I have a 275 gal fuel oil tank at the house, I wouldn't be running to the gas station all the time to get gas.

/ Small diesel generators #10  
Randell,
I don't know anything about that generator, but i do own a gas honda generator. Mine is 8500 surge and 6500 cont. I bought it 8 or 9 years ago when i had my fence company to use on large jobs to power tools and a compressor. Now the only time i use it is when we get a huricane. Starts on the first pull, and i think i get 10hrs to a tank (5 gal). I run my fridge, lights, tv and a large window unit with it. The only thing i don't run is the central heat and air (i have a 5 ton unit and i know it won't run it)
My BIL bought a smaller honda think its 2000 watts and he hets 8 hrs on 1.5 to 2 gal of gas and you can bearly hear it run. He use it to power a small window unit and his tv or a couple of lights. if he runs his fridge he has to unplug the window unit.
hope that helps some. and i hope you get your power back quickly.
stay warm.
Brian

You should have no problem running central heat (unless it's electric?). All you're powering is a fan that runs on 110V. I have the same size generator as you and I run a well (220v), all lighting, a refrigerator, a freezer, and everything else in the house and barn except my electric dryer, electric oven, and central air. Furnace is no problem at all. (I did switch from electric hot water to propane because I wouldn't have been able to heat hot water on a generator).