Kubota 2410 big enough?

/ Kubota 2410 big enough? #1  

Anonymous Poster

HI everyone,

I think I have read every post in the archives that has "2410" in it...but I still am unsure.

I only have about four acres to deal with, and only an acre of grass at the most to cut. I mean short weeds that looks like grass when it rains.

Anyway, I worked my self up from a BX22 to a B2410. I got a quote that is competetive for a package TLB, extra bucket for the hoe, filled tires, and so on.

I decided that the 2410 was all that I needed.

I understood the larger size of the 27/2910 and looked at a 2910 that the dealer was assembling. In my mind it was overkill, even though I am the kind that usually errs on the large size in life rather than otherwise [except for the better half, there is the exception to every rule...]

For a guy moving from a MTD garden tractor into the real world of tractors, the 2910 just seems like it is BIG. Sort of like using a shovel to get some sugar for you coffee kind of thing.

I only want to do this once. That is why I decided on the 2410 over the BX22.

Is my logic sound?

The clock is ticking...if I miss the rebate [$700 on the 2410, I think same on the 27 and 29, have to check...] I will likely not purchase anything for a while...

What way would you go? Two acres are hillside but I can maintain the trails with my MTD, so it is not that bad there...

Thanks for any input.

Bill Macher a bit north of Pgh, PA...

/ Kubota 2410 big enough? #2  
Bill;
I think the 2410 will be fine for your needs. As you probably know, there is a decent sized price jump from the 2410 to the 2710. Something to consider.
Will

/ Kubota 2410 big enough?
I was really nervous about the B2410 that I got for 3 reasons: 1) I am at 9000 ft msl, 2) the HST transmission and 3) steep hills. The first two factors cause me to not have full sea level horsepower produced by the engine going to the wheels. The third factor also soaks up more power and makes it really challenging. I have NOT run out of power yet (16 hours on the meter) and I have kept the RPMs below max. I use R1s on this crushed granite out here. My tires aren't loaded yet, but they will be soon to add additional stability. I have a fel and a rear blade. I am VERY satisfied with the tractor performance. One hint: get the front grill guard. I have already tested the guard moving some very large pine trees (6-8 in truncks) around and it works. The gear range is perfect for what I need. Low range is low enough to get me up/down the hills. Becareful on those hills. Go slowly, keep the load low, and wear the seat belt. Lots of trees out here to maneuver around which the B2410 does with ease. Go for it!!!

/ Kubota 2410 big enough? #4  
Bill, on our typical western PA topography go for the 2410. Your property sounds pretty close to what I have. And I upgraded this year from a B2100 to the 2910. My 2100 worked it's tail off, but there was a few instances where a little bigger tractor would have made it easy. Can never have too many horses. The advantage of the RFM in my opinion is I'm always swapping implements off and on, some days I go from the RFM to the hoe to the boxblade to the rake. And maybe the phd and the tiller for good measure. If it were me, I'd go RFM thinking the MMM may get in the way bashing through the woods and all. I may be wrong, but the RFM may be cheaper so you can spend that money on a boxblade to add rear weight when the hoe is off. And there are a million and one uses for a rake.

/ Kubota 2410 big enough? #5  
Unless you plan to buy a 75 acre farm on flat land somewhere in the next 10 years or so you are going to be quite satisfied with the 2410. We have about 12 acres here with woods, hills, some grass, 800 feet of driveway... well you get the idea. I found the MTD to be completely unsatisfactory, the B7100 adequite, and the B2410 just right. I too stayed away from the 2710 and 2910 for a number of reasons, but the final one was the limited tire choices in the larger machine. I am running tuff barr tires and you can't get those in the larger sizes. Good luck.

/ Kubota 2410 big enough? #6  
Hi Bill,

I was in a similar quandry about 2 years ago, but since the BX22 wasn't out yet, I had to choose between the B7500, B2410, B27190 and B2910. My property is only 2/3 of an acre and I bought it with loader, backhoe and posthole auger.

I chose the B2910 because I really didn't think the package price difference between all of these was that different when you look at the increase in capabilities and the extra "convenience" options on the B2910 (especially the extendable 3 pt. hitch arms).

I have not had any maneuverability problems on our property, in fact I'm amazed at the tight spaces I can get the tractor into.

I think most instrumental in my decision was the larger backhoe that the B2910 will take. I find the extra reach very convenient and there are still times I wish the bh had a longer reach.

Anyway, when I viewed the whole purchase as a life-long investment, I didn't think the difference in $ was significant.

I will say, in retrospect, that if I was making the purchase today, the availability of the BX22 would make the decision even tougher, but I would still probably end up with the B2910.

Good Luck, you'll be thrilled with whatever you buy. These tractors are truly amazing.

~Rick

/ Kubota 2410 big enough? #7  
The 2410 is all you will need. Get the bigger tractor if you want but the 2410 will do everything you need with ease. J

/ Kubota 2410 big enough?
Thanks everyone...

Funny thing is that after just about reaching the paralisis of analysis stage, and after deciding that the 2410 was what I wanted...

...The salesman I was talking to became "unavailble" and so I asked for the owner's phone number [at the other store, apparently he sells both orange and blue] and he called me back with numbers that were exactly what I thought I should pay, after picking the lowest prices that I found people reporting they had paid recently on TBN.

So I said how much more for all the same stuff, but with the 2910, 402 loader and the larger backhoe. Add $2,200 was the reply. So I said "I take the 2910!"

So he is supposed to call me back and if he is sincere then tomorrow I will sign the papers and give a deposit...

Perhaps a little more than I need NOW but all I should ever need...

The package is for the 2910, 402 loader with 60" tooth blade, Woods rear discharge RD6000 RFM, heavy duty alternator, 10" and 16" buckets, R4 tires.

I decided to forego rear tire loading for the present. I guess I can load them myself later with washer fluid if I want to. I also did not muddy the water with any add ons, but do want to get a box blade also and my order that also.

No sense posting the price until after I find out if it is real or not. I don't think it is a great price, but what was quoted was certainly a fair price.

Almost a tractor owner now...:)

Bill Macher in Pgh PA

/ Kubota 2410 big enough? #9  
Bill,

Sounds like you and I suffer from a similar affliction. Unfortunately, there is no known cure. On the plus side, one of the side effects is that you end up with a nice new shiny tractor, backhoe, loader...... /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

That figure of around $2200 + or - for a B2910 over a B2410 with similar options is about what I found two years ago. You'll appreciate the extendable 3 pt. hitch connections everytime you connect an implement back there. Sure saves a lot of grunt work.

I hope your deal comes through.

Good Luck,

~Rick

/ Kubota 2410 big enough? #10  
Bill,

Which backhoe are you getting with your tractor? Is it the Kubota 4690?

The reason I ask is that Kubota makes a heavy duty top-link bracket that should be installed on the tractor if a backhoe is attached, especially if it's a 3 pt. hitch connection. I believe the bracket comes with the Kubota hoe.

I have a Woods 7500 with sub-frame but I still installed the heavy duty top-link bracket 'cause I thought the $70 or so was cheap insurance.

~Rick