New tractor recomendation

/ New tractor recomendation #1  

danielsumner

Tractor
BX25D
Ok, I'm ready to my my first tractor. A little about me and what I'm needing. I'm 54, a little overweight (Why am I post this) and don't want to buy something that will be too hard to operate or hook up attachments. I have 28acres in southeast Ga. Three acres in lawn, about 8 to 10 in pastures and the rest is in woods. Have no hills at all, flat as can be. I have no need for a front loader that I realize at this time. Would like to keep the pastures mowed, maybe a belly mower for the yard and would like to be able to bush hog some of the overgrown wooded areas around the pecan trees. We have no snow to deal with. I'm concerned about being able to attach the bush hog, maybe plow ect, as I get older. I've never even been on a tractor before. The choices that I have in the area, seems to be a John Deere, Mahindra and a used Yamnar dealer. I'm not trying to make a living with the tractor. I'm retiring and will be living on my little hobby farm. Any advise and help will be greatly welcome.
Daniel

/ New tractor recomendation #2  
You'll get a lot of opinions here but I'll get it started.
1. Get an open platform. Getting on/off will be much easier.
2. 35 hp min up to 45 depending on your budget.
3. I'm a 'bota man so I'd say a grande L series in those hp, I'd go with the hst cause SOMEDAY you're going to kick yourself for not getting a loader and will get one.
4. Get Pat's easy change system (see ad on this board). You'll love it when hooking/unhooking. Doesn't matter how heavy the implement is, once you line up correctly you just raise the hitch and it clicks in, then you connect the top link.
5. I'm not a fan of mid mount mowers but it's a personal choice. Easier to cut finish grass, more maneuverable if you have a lot of obstructions, better if you have a "golf course" lawn. If you're not fanatical about your finish grass, a rear finish mower will make quick work of a couple of acres for a LOT less money, about 1/2 the cost of a mid mount. (Get a 6 footer. Much bigger and you can run into scalping unless your lands perfectly graded - see golf course comment).
6. Funds not too tight? Splurge and get at least one remote off the rear for the hydraulic top link. Later if you get into hydraulic adjustable blades, rakes, etc, you can always get a flow splitter and control both easy enough with the single remote.

oh - GA?? deep pockets?? enclosed cab and AC!!!!
That oughta start the thread.......... :)

Last edited:
   / New tractor recomendation
Gerard, thanks for the imput. No Golf Course grass for me. I live in Miami now, My retirement home is is Southeast Ga. I have just put is pasture grass for a lawn, Less upkeep. I'm going from the city to the country, so trying to figure all this out, don't want to buy too little, or way too much. I'm in a rual area and see a lot of used tractors parked in yards with for sale signs, kinda scared to buy used, I would never buy a used car, I alway trade in my problems, don't want someone elses. Used attactments are everywhere, thats a no brainer, some good deals that I see.

Thanks
Daniel

/ New tractor recomendation #4  
I would check with Lott's on 280 in Claxton new or used he is the one to talk to he handles Mahindra.

/ New tractor recomendation
Kenstrac, I've been to Lotts in Claxton. Claxton is about 15 miles from my Ga homestead. Every time I've been there the sales people are out of the office. One time I talked to the secretary and got some plamplets.
Daniel

/ New tractor recomendation #6  
Where are you in Pembroke or Vidalia .

/ New tractor recomendation #8  
Some things don't depreciate quick enough to justify buying used. Tractors and pick up trucks are two of these IMHO. While that's not cut in stone and I wouldn't hesitate to buy used from someone I knew that didn't abuse their equipment, a tractor can easily last you 20-30 years if you're not using it commercially. (Bought mine new, it's now 10 years old, 950 hours and still runs like the day I bought it). I've seen tractors with 6-7000 hours on them so do the math! If you can swing it buy new. I'll stay brand neutral but advise you go through the boards here and read problems, fixes and complaints and see if you can figure out who has the least. I also would stay with the ones with abigger market share, there's probably a reason for it, AND again, for the couple of bucks you save by going to a less popular brand, it doesn't amount to a lot over the life of your tractor. At 54 this could be the last tractor you ever buy, might as well get a good one!

BTW - I would not get the mid mount then. Think they go for about $3K vs $1500 for a rear mower and I'd rather apply the difference to another implement. + You have that thing dangling below you which does NOT work well in that nice GA red mud!

/ New tractor recomendation #9  
Hmm, Florida and Georgia huh? You're a big guy, maybe go with the Kubota B3030 with a Cab and get air conditioning. If it fits in your budget.

/ New tractor recomendation #10  
GET A USED DISESEL 35 TO 45 HORSE WITH NO MORE THAN 1000 HRS. NO OLDER THAN 1990. YOU WILL NEED 4 WHEEL DRIVE FOR A LOADER. PERKINS DISESELS ARE USED IN MASSEY FERGESON.LOOK FOR A DUAL CLUTCH.