ford 8N

/ ford 8N #1  

minni

im considering buying s ford 8N. i have always heard they have always been awesome tractors, very stable ( I have 12 rolling acres) to bushhog, . I also have a need for a front end loader. Can the 8N be equipped for that?

/ ford 8N
im considering buying s ford 8N. i have always heard they have always been awesome tractors, very stable ( I have 12 rolling acres) to bushhog, . I also have a need for a front end loader. Can the 8N be equipped for that?

/ ford 8N #3  
Welcome to TBN, and do some research on tractors but do your self a favor and DON'T waist your money on a 50yr tractor with out power steering or live pto, unless your looking at the new 8n boomer your going to get frustrated very fast with 8n. A used compact 4wd diesel will out work and make your life easier by 10. I don't know what your budget is or where your from but there are a lot of deals on name brand newer tractors in my area.

Unless your a collector and like playing with old tractors and old equipment.

/ ford 8N #4  
Welcome to TBN, and do some research on tractors but do your self a favor and DON'T waist your money on a 50yr tractor with out power steering or live pto, unless your looking at the new 8n boomer your going to get frustrated very fast with 8n. A used compact 4wd diesel will out work and make your life easier by 10. I don't know what your budget is or where your from but there are a lot of deals on name brand newer tractors in my area.

Unless your a collector and like playing with old tractors and old equipment.

And the new one will likely cost 5 - 8 X more than the old one...and, depending on the old one and new one. the new one may not do any more work than the old one.. for the huge premium in price.

soundguy

/ ford 8N #5  

Do yourself a favor.. get a 55+ machine.. they have better provisions for attaching a loader and running it off onboard hyds if needed ( cheaper / slower ).. vs adding a front or rear pump ( faster / more expensive ).

A ford 861 with power steering and factor live pto and hyds would be a decent machine.. can add a dual valve on the hyd cover and plumb a hyd loader... price range for that sort of machine can be in the 2500-4000$ range... IE.. pretty much same $$ range as a less capable N series.

soundguy

/ ford 8N #6  
A Ford 8N would be good economic way to bushhog 12 acres. However, I am not confident you would be satisfied with a retro fit FEL on a 8N.

/ ford 8N #7  
minni,

If you're needing serious loader work the 8n is not for you. Can they be equipped with a loader? Yes. Is it a very functional, practical, or easy to use loader in the modern sense of an FEL? No. The old loaders built specifically for the 8n and similar tractors are rather clumsy, slow, and limited devices conceived in the very infancy of tractor hydraulics and usability. Lots of cluttered framing, limited visibility, and with buckets that were more crude scoops as opposed to modern, full-width, loading/grading/spreading type buckets. Modern loader units are not made to fit these old tractors..........you'll have to find one already fitted or find these specific loaders after-the-fact and mount it yourself. Think Craiglist or local classifieds, likewise, etc.

As for 8ns being good, solid, and reliable tractors for routine use? ABSOLUTELY. Many modern tractors being built today are still based upon the Ford 2n/9n/8n/NAA and it's ilk is right up there with the Colt 1911A1 .45, the DC-3, the B-52, and the C-130 as being nearly timeless designs in simplicity and operability. With general maintenance and even moderate-considerable abuse........they simply run and run and run.

I grew up on a Ford NAA Jubilee........the 8n's refinement with independent PTO and bigger donk......and I own an 8n now for many years. An 8n will run any implement a modern, diesel, 4wd 20-30hp CUT will. It will do it slower, with less convenience, and with a little more time.....but it can do it. It will also do it with lower purchase price and cost of general operation.

Then there is "nice" vs. "necessary".....:) Power steering, live PTO, modern little diesel engine. Very nice to have. Do you have to have them pull a 5' shredder or run PHD or grade your driveway or build a housing pad? No. It might take a little longer, be a bit less comfortable for you, and take more of your time......but an 8n will get it done.

My little 8n can sit for 6 months and then get run hard-out for 6 weeks..........but I do routine maintenance, check the fluids, and use common equipment sense. I just had to jump her off last weekend to stir the fluids and use her a little to prevent any cobwebs from building but she purred like a kitty. And, to it, if you can work on any latter 20th century gasoline motor you can work on a flat-head 8n. Check battery......check fuel....check plugs and distributor.......she should fire up. Unless something weird has happened, or you've seriously screwed up, the little tractor will fire up and wait for its orders.

In MHO, any tractor operator should start their lives on a 8n. It is the primary "trainer" tractor for anyone wanting or owning a small tractor. Nothing will teach you more and leave you the better for it and, even if/when I buy a newer machine, I'll never part with my little sweety.

In short...............get an 8n, learn what little tractors really are........and then if you really want to upgrade to something newer..............do so. But don't get rid of the 8n. She can pay you back in Spades for what you paid for her.

/ ford 8N #8  
an 8N was a fine tractor in its day, but look for something a lil newer. that tractor will get you killed if you've never been on one. i grew up on one, they are low to the ground and ok on hillsides but going down can be an adventure when its wet. an 8N was a step up from a horse and there are plenty of other newer tractors out there that are a lot more safer to use.

/ ford 8N #9  
If not for your need of a loader, an 8n would be ok for you. In my opinion, adding a loader to an 8n is about the worst thing you can do with one. The 8n has a power/weight ratio advantage over the jubilee/600 series that replaced it. Adding a loader takes that advantage away and adds weight in the wrong place, turning a nice, nimble little tractor into a clumsy machine. This is no secret, and it is very easy to find an old loader for an 8n, because many were made and lots of folks take them off and sell them to make the tractor usefull again. I would never consider a loader on any tractor without power steering, and probably not one without 4wd unless you never got to deal with mud, hills, or snow. My first tractor was a 1951 Ford 8n, and I still have it and use it often. It is near perfect for many jobs. There is no modern tractor that I would rather have on my 2-row corn planter or use for hauling firewood with a 3-pt carryall. These tractors were about as durable as they come and no tractor ever made by any manufacturer has better parts availability (TSC actually carries most of what you need for these). As far as brushhog use goes, again, the 8n is not ideal. This has little to do with the lack of live pto, as that shortcoming is easily remidied by adding an overunning coupler (about $70 at TSC). The real problem I had with that job is lack of live hydraulics (no lift when you have the clutch down). Updating to a Jubilee or 600 series will step you back a bit in fuel economy, durability, parts availability, and power/weight ratio from the 8n, but will give you live hydraulics and a better brushhog machine.

Last edited:
   / ford 8N #10  
8N's are fine tractors and would be a ok Bush Hog machine with a over run clutch installed but not good for FEL work. Like others mentioned get something a little stouter with live hydros and a live pto and a 2 stage clutch.

Also when looking at old Fords look for a later years with side distributors. The older ones had front mounts and tougher to work on, made a little less power, and have a steering box that can be troublesome. Check it over real good for things like the 3 point lift, steering linkages, wheel condition, and tire condition. A co worker bough a nice 8N with a new paint job, ect. Within 3 years he has spent over $1600 in repairs that I know about because I was the one who trailered it there. New steering box, 3 point rebuilt, new rears due to calcium, ect.

I know its more money but its worth it. I would even consider a new Jinma 284. Slightly more power, has everything like the live power and hydros, and can be had new with a FEL for around $10,000. This also gets you 4x4, creeper gears, diff lock, ect. They are dead simple and can be maintained by a shade tree mechanic.

Chris