Boomer 4060/JD 4720?

/ Boomer 4060/JD 4720? #31  
Its apparent you've never driven a eHydro machine....I was a DIE HARD power shuttle/glideshift/power reverser (whatever you want to call it) beliver and it really bothered me to get the hydro...BUT being in a nice warm cab listening to the radio while snowblowing or in the A/C in the summer time trumped the tranny...
2 years later, you couldnt pry my cold dead hands from my eHydro...I absouletly love it.

Gotcha...Yeah thats an old pic...I snapped it in '02.
I got a Q for you...all things being equal (service, price, etc..) would you buy a Surtrac over a Gilbert or vice versa?

And I never will. Do not plan on buying a hydro, and won't own a JD!! Had a hydro and will not own another!! A hydro is still a hydro, electronic or otherwise.

And that is why that WILL cost JD sales, they stick you with hydro, yet MF & NH gives you an option!!

I do love the heat/AC in our cab too!!

/ Boomer 4060/JD 4720? #32  
yes you ar exactly right. the boomer 4060 has either a mechanincal shuttle or a Electroninc shuttle (clutchless option) you dont get the whine of a hydrostate trans either. The shuttles are nice

They sure are. No hydro whine is the biggest reason to NOT own one.

/ Boomer 4060/JD 4720?
Gotcha...Yeah thats an old pic...I snapped it in '02.
I got a Q for you...all things being equal (service, price, etc..) would you buy a Surtrac over a Gilbert or vice versa?[/QUOTE]

Our club has 2 machines, both suretracs. A TS110 and a TM140. Both the suretrac and gilbert have their good/bad points. Suretracs ride is great, no slides to maintain, but tires do go flat once in a while. gibert is by far a better maching in the deep snow. Suretracs drag is another level above anything else, but the gilberts drag would make a darn nice trail, the difference is hardly noticeable.
I wanted the club to look at buying that machine you showed in the picture. Crown sat on it long enough, a club could have bought it at a discounted price(surprised caribou didn't). I thought by having one of each, they would compliment each other.

/ Boomer 4060/JD 4720? #34  
I think anyone looking at the new tractors will find that both of these are good machines. I prefer the 4720 with cab and ehydro transmission, thats just me. I liked power shuttle or direction reverser transmissions and without the ehydro this would be my second choice. Both have been proven to be very reliable with good responsiveness and lugging ability. I think anyone buying a new tractor should try both for a day before signing on the dotted line.

Anyone who has never owned both of the aforementioned transmissions and claims they would never own one is going overboard IMHO.

Most tractor users on this board perform a wide variety of jobs on smaller properties and the ehydro in my opinion is easier to manuever with. If I had to row crop for a living all day I would concede that the power reverser being slightly more efficient would be the better choice.

/ Boomer 4060/JD 4720? #35  
I have owned hydro (MF 1523) and now power shuttle, which gives me the right to decide that I WILL NEVER own a hydro ever again. Giving people less choices, just gives an edge to companines that have more choices.

I think anyone looking at the new tractors will find that both of these are good machines. I prefer the 4720 with cab and ehydro transmission, thats just me. I liked power shuttle or direction reverser transmissions and without the ehydro this would be my second choice. Both have been proven to be very reliable with good responsiveness and lugging ability. I think anyone buying a new tractor should try both for a day before signing on the dotted line.

Anyone who has never owned both of the aforementioned transmissions and claims they would never own one is going overboard IMHO.

Most tractor users on this board perform a wide variety of jobs on smaller properties and the ehydro in my opinion is easier to manuever with. If I had to row crop for a living all day I would concede that the power reverser being slightly more efficient would be the better choice.

/ Boomer 4060/JD 4720? #36  
I have owned hydro (MF 1523) and now power shuttle, which gives me the right to decide that I WILL NEVER own a hydro ever again. Giving people less choices, just gives an edge to companines that have more choices.

I am very familiar with the fact that you had a MF hydro, but have you used a Deere ehydro? I can say in honesty that I have not used a MF hydro but I would be willing to try it out just out of curiosity now. I know you are unhappy with them or should I say "violently opposed to them" could it be the MF hydro is louder than others? You are the only one I can think of that is complaining about excessive hydro noise.

/ Boomer 4060/JD 4720? #37  
You are the only one I can think of that is complaining about excessive hydro noise.

I wasnt gonna post about it, but since you started, I'll chime in :D
-My F935 had hydro whine BAD when I got it (3k hours on it when I got it)....First thing I did was flush the hydro fluid and refill with GENUINE HyGard Lo-Vis and the hydro noise went away.
-My 3520 eHydro has never had any hydro noise...like you said, I cant recall anyone here even mentioning it.

I will say that not all Hydros are created equal, one thing I did not like about the NH/CIH Cabbed Farmall was how hard/stiff the direction pedals were...2 different machines one red, one blue at 2 different dealers, so I dont think it was a dealer setup/adjustment issue. The "Sub Par" NH/CIH cab is what killed that machine for me, regardless of tranny...

flyingcow said:
Our club has 2 machines, both suretracs. A TS110 and a TM140. Both the suretrac and gilbert have their good/bad points. Suretracs ride is great, no slides to maintain, but tires do go flat once in a while. gibert is by far a better maching in the deep snow. Suretracs drag is another level above anything else, but the gilberts drag would make a darn nice trail, the difference is hardly noticeable.
I wanted the club to look at buying that machine you showed in the picture. Crown sat on it long enough, a club could have bought it at a discounted price(surprised caribou didn't). I thought by having one of each, they would compliment each other..

Thanks for the info, one of my best friends down here is the VP of a snowmobile club and this fall he was looking at a TC40 (pretty sure it was a TC40), it was the small "tiny" one that surtrac makes...it was a trade in sitting on the Pisten Bully lot....
It WAS sitting there for a while, every time I went home I saw it there...at the same time it seemed like P.Isle was using Theriault's as a parking lot...their 6410 was there for a while too..I didnt see the drag there so I figured it was for repairs...
gilbert_6410_1.jpg

/ Boomer 4060/JD 4720? #38  
I am very familiar with the fact that you had a MF hydro, but have you used a Deere ehydro? I can say in honesty that I have not used a MF hydro but I would be willing to try it out just out of curiosity now. I know you are unhappy with them or should I say "violently opposed to them" could it be the MF hydro is louder than others? You are the only one I can think of that is complaining about excessive hydro noise.

Well, I have the right to complain. Also, have way more options with a Powershuttle.. Maybe it is because I prefer the options. Hydro's are for lawn mowers, not tractors, and since ours is not a lawn mower, it does not have hydro.

The JD unit is still a hydro, just electronically controlled, but still a HYDRO.

If CVT was an option, I would seriously consider that, but then again, that is NOT hydro.

/ Boomer 4060/JD 4720? #40  
I NH has come a long way though and they do make really solid machines.

John M

John

I read that statement and I have exactly the opposite opinion. I think the early Deere compacts when they were detuned Yanmar's were no comparison to the early Kubota and Ford compacts. I think Deere has been playing catchup for years and in the past few years have finally achieved it.

Andy