Boomer 4060/JD 4720?

/ Boomer 4060/JD 4720? #1  

flyingcow

Veteran Member
Looking at both units. Like the hydro option on the JD, but that's really the only thing that stands out. i live in northernmaine and have a substantial driveway. Snow blowing it with a MF1135+ 9ft Lucknow blower. Units run nice( for sale, also), just looking to go a little more modern. I figure put a 6 or 7ft blower + a snowblade on front, will work very well. Will be getting pallet forks and moving/stacking firewood on pallets for my own use. Any thoughts on these 2 units?

/ Boomer 4060/JD 4720? #2  
Welcome to TBN. This is a comparison I've not saw before. Hopefully owners will chime in with some really good discussion. This is a great site for opinions, kinda like,,,, well you know what I mean,,,, everyone has one. ;)

/ Boomer 4060/JD 4720? #3  
I would go with the Deere and a nice modern cab. I think my 4520cab would be perfect for you.

/ Boomer 4060/JD 4720? #4  
Not getting much response here huh...... Might try going to the JD section and post questions on the 4720 and then go to the NH section and post questions on the 4060?? Sometimes it's hard to get these guys started. Then other times it's hard to get them to stop. :p

/ Boomer 4060/JD 4720? #5  
Does the Boomer come with a cab? Gotta have a cab in No. Maine while blowing snow..!! Either that or hire the neighbor's 22 yr. old to run your tractor for 'ya when it's 26F and snowing 2" an hour.

The 4720 is alot of Hp for the frame-size. Some user's have opined that it's maybe a "full-cup runneth over" situation in that you don't/can't use all that power (traction loss, etc.) 99% of the time. So, it's a waste of money (or just maybe not the most prudent utilization of your financial resources). {There, there... I don't mean to offend 4720 owner's. And I would never utter a bad word about Lambrogini owner's either.}

The 4520 might really be a better investment - IMO.

Don't really have an opinion on the Boomer. However, I'd have to guess that given it's "flagship" image, the folk's at NH have worked hard to insure that it's a very good tractor.

AKfish

/ Boomer 4060/JD 4720? #6  
I was reading the specs for the 4720 and it sounds fantastic. I really like the idea of being able to run at full PTO speed with reduced RPM's.
As far as the 4720's being to much for the frame/tractor size I don't buy it. These units are not really ment to do a lot of ground engagement work. Running bigger brush hogs/snow blowers and more FEL capacity is what its about. I have a tractor about the same size frame (MX5000) and i don't think 16 extra HP would hurt a thing.

/ Boomer 4060/JD 4720? #7  
Does the Boomer come with a cab? Gotta have a cab in No. Maine while blowing snow..!! Either that or hire the neighbor's 22 yr. old to run your tractor for 'ya when it's 26F and snowing 2" an hour.

The 4720 is alot of Hp for the frame-size. Some user's have opined that it's maybe a "full-cup runneth over" situation in that you don't/can't use all that power (traction loss, etc.) 99% of the time. So, it's a waste of money (or just maybe not the most prudent utilization of your financial resources). {There, there... I don't mean to offend 4720 owner's. And I would never utter a bad word about Lambrogini owner's either.}

The 4520 might really be a better investment - IMO.

Don't really have an opinion on the Boomer. However, I'd have to guess that given it's "flagship" image, the folk's at NH have worked hard to insure that it's a very good tractor.

AKfish

You Alaskans are bunch of rowdy rebels ain't ya!!!! ;) I understand what you are saying about the 4720. I wonder the same thing in the Kubota Grand L series where the 4240 and 5740 share the same chassis. Either one is underpowered or one is overpowered, can't both be right. :)

But then I understand Pitt's view also, guess it depends on function. Years ago my Brother had a hog operation. He bought a new Allis 5050 to grind feed with. Great little tractor that spent 90% of it's life turning the PTO shaft on a large feed grinder. Everyday that little tractor wanted more HP. :p

/ Boomer 4060/JD 4720? #8  
I prefer the John Deere. With regard to the power, the 4720 is a powerful machine. It is not that it has too much power, just that for a bit less money one can get into a 4520 with exactly the same engine and features a have a bit left over to save or buy an attachment. I had a 4520 and would say it has a ton of power. It pulled great, and would power big implements without any struggle. I honestly cannot see where the tiny upgrade in PTO power between the 4520 and 4720 merit the additional cost, unless someone just wants a 4720. In all honesty, the 4320 has plenty of power for virtually every PTO application. I would not recommend a 4120 if our OP is planning on doing a lot of snowblowing, as it likely would struggle a LITTLE under this job type. My experience is the Powertech engines in these 4000 series JD machines make tremendous torque and that makes them really great for hard PTO work. The torque these powerplants throughout the line make has to be experienced to be believed. I have used some NH equipment and though nice, it does not have the same engine performance, for whatever reason. NH has come a long way though and they do make really solid machines.

John M

/ Boomer 4060/JD 4720? #9  
The Boomer series of tractors are great, they have the most standard features and the roomiest cabs in the market.....as far as power, they are great. if you have a front end loader they even have a window in the top of the cab so you dont have to look under your cab just to see you loader. new holland has thought of the little things that others do not..You do realize with a hydrostat trans that you loose more power out the pto than you do with a shuttle shift like the new holland has. The Boomer 4060 has either a mechanical syncronized 12x12 shuttle or a 12x12 power shuttle. both are great, the power shuttle you dont have to clutch at all to change directions. ....Plus blue is usually cheaper in price and after the fact on parts and service

Compact-Tractors-and-Commercial-Mowers New Holland Boomer-Utility - Models, technical data and characteristics

/ Boomer 4060/JD 4720? #10  
I prefer the John Deere. With regard to the power, the 4720 is a powerful machine. It is not that it has too much power, just that for a bit less money one can get into a 4520 with exactly the same engine and features a have a bit left over to save or buy an attachment. I had a 4520 and would say it has a ton of power. It pulled great, and would power big implements without any struggle. I honestly cannot see where the tiny upgrade in PTO power between the 4520 and 4720 merit the additional cost, unless someone just wants a 4720. In all honesty, the 4320 has plenty of power for virtually every PTO application. I would not recommend a 4120 if our OP is planning on doing a lot of snowblowing, as it likely would struggle a LITTLE under this job type. My experience is the Powertech engines in these 4000 series JD machines make tremendous torque and that makes them really great for hard PTO work. The torque these powerplants throughout the line make has to be experienced to be believed. I have used some NH equipment and though nice, it does not have the same engine performance, for whatever reason. NH has come a long way though and they do make really solid machines.

John M
Just out of curiosity what is the price difference between the 4520 and the 4720?
Are the frames the same size?