Massey Ferguson 35

/ Massey Ferguson 35
Yea, the #12 baler looks alot more complicated than yours. Seems that you have plenty of room to work on knotters and see if there is a problem without disassembling alot. Thanks for the advice.

/ Massey Ferguson 35 #12  
I did check it out last April and the knotters did OK. However, the slip clutch facings are pretty worn so I have to get those refurbished or replaced.

I've seen some guys use masenite cut out on a jigsaw or bandsaw to make clutch plates before.. not sure if it would work in your application or not.

soundguy

/ Massey Ferguson 35 #13  
I've seen some guys use masenite cut out on a jigsaw or bandsaw to make clutch plates before.. not sure if it would work in your application or not.

soundguy

SG: thanks for that info. It's really timely since today I disassembled the slip clutch on the MF124 baler.

The pto shaft plugs into the sprag clutch inside the hub of the slip clutch.

DSCF0076 (Small).JPG

DSCF0077 (Small).JPG

There's supposed to be two friction discs (#6 and #8) sandwiched between the drive/driven plates. Those discs have been worn down to nothing.

DSCF0079 (Small).JPG

DSCF0080 (Small).JPG

DSCF0081 (Small).JPG

DSCF0082 (Small).JPG

With nothing left between the plates, I could do short bales (24" long or so) OK. But when I tried to do a full length bale (~45" long), there was so much resistance in the baling chamber that the slip clutch started slipping.

I think I have a vendor for new friction discs. Hope to hear from him tomorrow. If not, I'll try the MF dealer in Chico. Don't like to do this because prices are high.

I may be using your suggestion if nothing else pans out.

/ Massey Ferguson 35 #14  
seen it and it worked.. plus it's cheap though no doubt a less durable fix than oem parts.

soundguy

/ Massey Ferguson 35 #15  
Funny, thats exactly what I have. a 35 Delux gasser. I love it. Am very, very happy. I dont know what else to tell you really. The one thing I dont care for is no power steering. Outside of that, well, it starts, it runs, I like it.

/ Massey Ferguson 35 #16  
deluxe... nice..

soundguy

/ Massey Ferguson 35 #17  
Good little rig.

If as decribed....no serious leaks/issues, airable tires, starts/runs fine, and no weird noises out of the clutch/tranny while operating? I'm all over $3500 or so. If less, get it.

The obvious value of a gas 35 is simpler maintenance/monkey-wrenching for the average schmoe. Diesel versions can be better on fuel costs but a pain for non-mechanic types.

I love the older Ford/MF tractors for miserly fuel consumption but understand the added value of later improved models in terms of hydro and tranny and so on.