Advise on dealers, please

/ Advise on dealers, please #1  

HunterdonPaul

Bronze Member
Well, I think the time has come. I am very nervous because I hate parting with cash but I can't wait any more - I am probably going green (unless something drastically changes my opinion before 7/31 ).

I have several dealers in mind, Among the top considerations are:

[1] Lehigh Ag in Allentown, PA
[2] Stoneham's In Waynesboro, PA
[3] Landis Bros in Lancaster, PA

Two of these dealers offered very good prices from my research and one dealer was OK in terms of price. What I would like to know is if anyone has had any bad experiences (or good ones) with these dealers - I hope I am allowed to ask this question, it seems so important. These dealers range between 1 to 3 1/2 hours from my home by car which adds to by nervousness. Also if there are any other dealers that you can would recommend in eastern PA, I would really appreciate it. What should I look out for?

Athough I don't post much, I really really appreciate the experiences that you all share with use newbies. It has really helped in my selection process. I plan on posting my buying experience to share with you all.

If everything goes OK, I should be smelling diesel soon.

Thanks,
Paul

/ Advise on dealers, please #2  
I'm not far out of "newbiehood" myself, and congrats on your upcoming purchase! Since you've probably done alot of research of the tractor of your choice, (I know I did!) you've found out the quirks, good and bad, of the tractor. You should have a good base knowledge of the tractor and with that, you can ask questions of the sales staff, like prepping, how are you getting it to my place, and training, and maybe get a good, bad or neutral feeling.

When I set out to buy a new tractor recently, I read up on my prospective tractor and talked to 2 dealers in the area. Both answered my numerous questions and I did'nt think I was getting a line of bull from either one. Both were within $50 dollars of each other, and distance was about the same. I had heard good things about both dealers for several years. So what it all boiled down to was a better gut feeling about one over the other.

I happened to buy orange, but I would have been just as thrilled to sit on and own green, blue, or yellow. As far as the dealers mentioned, I can't on that, but I'm sure someone here can.

Doug

/ Advise on dealers, please #3  
I tried to deal with Stoneham's In Waynesboro, PA but they would not budge on the price - not even $100 as I walked out the door /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif - Why are you going so far to buy a Deere - If it's availabity - I ordered a JD 4310 on June 7 - at the dealer July 19 - Just 6 weeks. /w3tcompact/icons/tongue.gif

Be sure to check out the Blurrybill experience.........<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.tractorbynet.com/cgi-bin/compact/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=buyjd&Number=166140&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=0&fpart=/> blurrybill </A>

/ Advise on dealers, please
There some local dealers but they are magnitudes higher in price - several $1000's. I feel that this offset justifies me looking further away. But you're right, the availibility around here isn't good either - I'd prefer not to wait until September to receive it.

Anyway thanks for the response.

Paul

/ Advise on dealers, please #5  
Paul,

I can't advise on the dealers you mention. But, I will recommend KC-Canary in Fultonville, NY. They would be approximately 3-4 hours from you. I bought my JD4710 from them in March....delivered in May. I shopped around at 5 upstate NY dealers and KC-Canary offered the best price on the tractor package, in a couple cases by a substantial amount. They are professional, courteous, and only 1 of 3 Performance Excellence dealerships in the Northeast. They may deliver as far south as Pennsylvania/New Jersey. I know they do travel considerable distances in their delivery routes. I highly recommend KC-Canary. For more specifics, see my thread "New 4710 Came Home Yesterday" in the JD Owner/Operator Forum.

You may want to give Mark Brucker a call at 518-853-3405 or drop him an e-mail at sales@kc-canary.com. Send him your shopping list and he can likely give you a quote in 1-2 days by return e-mail.

See KC-Canary website below.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://jddealer.deere.com/kccanary/>http://jddealer.deere.com/kccanary/</A>

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Bob Ancar
Cambridge, NY

/ Advise on dealers, please #6  
When I purchased a JD4400 I looked at three dealers, two were about one hour from my place and one was three hours away. I purchased from the dealer three hours away. He has the biggest inventory and let me drive several tractors with different transmissions to find what works best for me. They have a large, clean, well equipped service center and parts department. The dealer has been to my place several times to look at projects and recommend implements. He will let me try implements at my place, if they don't work out he will take them back. I would look for these qualities at your local dealers. Look for the dealer that will give you the best support down the road.

I have been very happy with the 4400 and wish you success with your purchase

/ Advise on dealers, please #7  
I agree with McLuen. Buy from the dealer that gives you not only a good price but one that has a good reputation and provides good support. Dealer I bought my 4710 from is 90 minutes away, furthest of the 5 dealers I visited. Nearest dealer was 10 minutes away. I bought 90 minutes away because of their excellent price, reputation, and solid dealer support.

/ Advise on dealers, please #8  
pborsetti, I see you that you are from Eastern to Central Pa by the dealers mentioned. I live very close to the center of PA. When looking for my tractor about a year ago, I tried JD dealers in my area.
DEERFIELD AG & TURF Wastontown,Pa
PRIME LINE Berrysburg,Pa
VALLEY AG & TURF Halifax,Pa
LOST CREEK IMPLEMENT Oakland Mills, Pa
I could not get a decent deal from any of them on a new JD in the 20-24 HP range. I ended up with a New Holland from Messicks in the Mount Joy Area. This dealership is excellent, and sell New Holland, Case, and Kubota Tractors. I highly recommend them to anyone looking for a Compact Tractor. Good Luck in your tractor purchase.

/ Advise on dealers, please
Well something drastic did happen. I went orange instead - hope it was the right decision... I'll need to start a new thread for a description...

Paul