How far is too far?

/ How far is too far? #1  

siebo

I got quotes from two New Holland dealers, one locally and one 1 1/2 hours away from my home. The furthest dealer gave me a better quote and seemed more interested in doing business than the local dealer. He appears to have a fairly big operation. I questioned him about servicing the tractor and he said no problem. This is going to be my first tractor so I am a little concerned about not having him closer. From reading other discussions, being comfortable with a dealer is very important. My question is, should I be concerned about buying a tractor from someone that far away?

/ How far is too far? #2  
<font color=blue>My question is, should I be concerned about buying a tractor from someone that far away?</font color=blue>

In simple terms, no. Don't be concerned. I bought my JD 4710 from a dealer 90 minutes away. They provided best deal, have solid reputation, and have already come out to my place to address a couple warranty items at no charge. You have to feel comfortable with the dealer you purchase from. 90 minutes drive is no big deal. Hope this helps.

Regards,
Bob Ancar
Cambridge, NY

/ How far is too far? #3  
You shouldn't have any problem being 90 minutes away. The dealer that I do most of my business with is about that far away. I haven't had a problem with them coming out and fixing equipment or taking things there. I always try and deal locally but these guys have been treating me so well I don't even have to haggle over prices anymore. They just shoot me the best deals right off anymore.

/ How far is too far? #4  
Bought mine from a dealer two hours away. Glad I did.
-Terry

/ How far is too far? #5  
I have two JD dealers within 30 mins of me, but bought my Cub at a CASE-IH dealer 45 mins away. I'd prefer windshield time over poor service anyday.

/ How far is too far? #6  
When the dealer says "no problem"... does he mean "it would be no problem for me to pick up (or come out and work on) your tractor, at my expense"... or does he mean "it would no problem for me to have you pay me time & mileage to pick up (or come out and work on) your tractor...

I would suggest that there could be a significant difference. However, even if you have to pay for time & travel, it still might be better than poor local service...

Good luck...

/ How far is too far? #7  
Cowboydoc:

<font color=blue> The dealer that I do most of my business with is about that far away. </font color=blue>

Ok, but wouldn't that make him your next door neighbor? Or is he squatting on YOUR land? /w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif

/ How far is too far? #8  
What is the price difference between the 2. Are you going to buy implements in the future from the local guy? Do you feel comfortable with the local guy? Does the remote guy say he will charge you for mileage/time to get to the tractor ? The 2710 that I bought 2 years ago has required no repairs or involvement from my dealer at all. Good luck......