Won't get fooled again

/ Won't get fooled again #1  

YotaBota

Bronze Member
Tractor
2009 Kubota BX25
Need to blow off some steam....I took my BX25 in for its 50 hour service-change the engine oil, hyd oil, 2 filters, inspect the air and fuel filter?, grease the joints, clean the transmission strainer, test the antifreeze. $351.00
Pardon me? :eek: This is the second time this dealer has (in my opinion) handed it to me. The other time, they charged me for a service call, when a timer had to be replaced that wasn't under warranty as it was crushed by the 3 point hitch, because the timer under the seat was not in it proper secured place. (20 minute drive for them) That was at under 30 hours, and this service was at 60. Anyhow, just wondering what the prevailing hourly shop rate might be. $90 an hour for an oil change is just too much!

/ Won't get fooled again #2  
Don't feel bad, I had the local IH dealer spend 15 min at our farm, used a screw driver to put the shifter back in place, charged me $108. You can be sure I learned how to do that little procedure real quick.

/ Won't get fooled again #3  
Man..., all I can say is that I understand your feelings. I bought a shop manual to reduce those visits as much as possible.

The bright side of this is you'll quickly learn how to do your own maintenance :)

/ Won't get fooled again #4  
Here's my dealer experience (on the bright side). I had the dealer come and collect my machine for a few very minor warranty items Id had over the summer, and had him do the 50 hr / pre winter service at the same time , plus get me my new box blade.

when I got the bill, there was only the charge for the new box blade I asked him to order for me.

I called him the next day (Wasnt home when he dropped it off) and told him he forgot to charge me for the service.

his reply " no, i didnt forget, you had to put up with a few minor irritations over the summer, its the least I can do"

now Thats Service !!

/ Won't get fooled again #5  
Dealers must survive. There's lots of overhead and everyone had to get paid out of your pocket. Service manager, owner down to the kid who did the service, and I don't mean to put down those typically younger guys who get these assignments. Plus, approx 1/2 of the cost was the retail value of the products used.
The SUDT fluid alone was $120.

You could have done it yourself for around $150.

On Messick's website at messicks.com they have a step by step, illustrated photo lesson on how to do this service, when it comes up again. Frankly, your HST won't need fluid again for a few years, but I would certainly clean the screen and spin on a new filter. You only lose a pint of fluid.

Kubota oil is $4 a quart. Those filters are very, very expensive.

Live and learn. It's expensive, but you can do it yourself and save a ton.

/ Won't get fooled again #6  
A monkey could do a 50hr service. It's a <1hr job. I'd say lesson learned, do it yourself next time.

/ Won't get fooled again #7  
A monkey could do a 50hr service. It's a <1hr job. I'd say lesson learned, do it yourself next time.

You have to do it yourself...where I am the dealer wants $200 just to pick up and deliver the tractor from folks...any of the service is a snap and with a shop manual you may be able to tackle anything other than routine maintenance and don't forget to ask around about independent diesel mechanics out there that are looking for work ...if you are out of warranty I would leave the dealer out of the picture unless you know up front what the charge will be.

/ Won't get fooled again
Hey they only charged me $88 for the parts, I'm not complaining at all. It's the labor. It's 3 times what I make an hour. I understand overhead-own a business. But the top guy was not on the job (better not have been!). At least with our companies, if we send out a grunt to do a quickie paint job, the price is according to the guy on the job. Thanks for letting me blow off some steam. Glad Messicks chimmed in. Figured you would back the dealer. I know where I stand now...better brush up on my mechanic skills again. Now where is that tool box with the left handed fizzle dapper?:rolleyes:

/ Won't get fooled again #10  
When you get as old as I am, everything seems terribly expensive, but in this case, I'm afraid Messick is right; $350 is not at all unusual; sounds about normal. I think many of us are accustomed to thinking of oil & filter changes in relation to cars and pickups and those prices. So while I don't think your dealer charged too much, I do think dealers should realize that you're going to be surprised (shocked?) and should give you at least an estimate up front before doing the job.