What Shuttle Shift.??.....

/ What Shuttle Shift.??..... #1  

JDGreenGrass

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere 770
My tactor is what I would call "standard shift." Clutch and a stick shift.

What is Shuttle Shift.??

What other types of "transmissions" are available.??

Times have changed.

(edit.....darn, wrong forum)

/ What Shuttle Shift.??..... #2  
My take on 'shuttle shift' is that the forward and corresponding reverse gear are in line, in the shift pattern, to make the processes easier. Some tractors have a forward reverse lever on the dash, and you still use the clutch, and that is sometimes called shuttle shift. The power shifters, also usually on the dash, are sometimes called power shuttle...the clutch is operated for you usually hydralically, and all you have to do is move the lever to change direction. My tractor has a reverser transmission, the direction change is done by a lever to the left of the wheel, the wet clutches are operated hydralically, and the transmission gears are not shifted to change direction. There are tons of different types of xmissions availible...

/ What Shuttle Shift.??..... #3  
Shuttle shift usually has a shift lever that only has forward, neutral, and reverse and it is usually located on the left side of the steering column. Besides that the other shifters are speed and range shifters. You may have high and low range on the range shifter, and 4 speeds on the speed shifter, which will give you 8 speeds in forward and 8 in reverse. I hope this helps.

/ What Shuttle Shift.??..... #4  
One advantage of shuttle shifters that isn't often mentioned is that you get just as many reverse speeds as you do forward ones. On my tractor, the speed in reverse is 80% of the corresponding forward speed for each gear. I have a high - low range and four gears, giving me 8 forward and 8 reverse speeds. Normal manual trannies usually only have one or two reverse speeds. To me, this is the real difference between it and a standard manual.

The power shifters are shuttles that do not require clutching to go from forward to reverse.

/ What Shuttle Shift.??..... #5  
Here is a link to a page that gives some pretty good info on different types on transmissions.

Couldn't get it to link to the exact page.... click on "Info" and then "Tractor Transmission Types"

/ What Shuttle Shift.??..... #6  
One advantage of shuttle shifters that isn't often mentioned is that you get just as many reverse speeds as you do forward ones. On my tractor, the speed in reverse is 80% of the corresponding forward speed for each gear. I have a high - low range and four gears, giving me 8 forward and 8 reverse speeds. Normal manual trannies usually only have one or two reverse speeds.
This part is exactly how shuttle shift tractor works.
There is a stick shifter for forward-neutral-reverse. Then there is a stick shifter for High and Low range. Then there is a stick shifter for 4 speeds. Whatever gear you're in (going forward), you can move the shuttle shifter to reverse in that same gear. You can do it high or low range, so like Gittyup, I have 16 speeds total ... 8 forward and 8 reverse.
Rob-

/ What Shuttle Shift.??..... #7  
Best is the hydro tranny unless you are doing boring field work like plowing hours on end. :)

/ What Shuttle Shift.??..... #8  
My take on 'shuttle shift' is that the forward and corresponding reverse gear are in line, in the shift pattern, to make the processes easier. Some tractors have a forward reverse lever on the dash, and you still use the clutch, and that is sometimes called shuttle shift. The power shifters, also usually on the dash, are sometimes called power shuttle...the clutch is operated for you usually hydralically, and all you have to do is move the lever to change direction. My tractor has a reverser transmission, the direction change is done by a lever to the left of the wheel, the wet clutches are operated hydralically, and the transmission gears are not shifted to change direction. There are tons of different types of xmissions availible...

Well said and all inclusive as I understand it.