Disclosure of year of tractors

/ Disclosure of year of tractors #1  

Tacrat

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask the question? Well, the question is.... today I was purchasing a LS 2020 HST and the dealer refused to disclose the year of the tractor on the contact. Can someone please help me understand why a dealer would refuse such a request? Well.... I backed out of the deal. The dealership stated he does not have to disclose the year on the contact. All that information was disclosed to the bank.
Help me to understand.:mad:

/ Disclosure of year of tractors #2  
I moved this thread from the News/Feedback forum to this forum, thinking maybe you'll get more replies here. I know that tractors aren't usually referred to by year, as cars are, but I would think a dealer would tell you what year it was made by checking the serial number. From what you've said, I'm guessing he did tell you, and the bank, what year it was made, but just wouldn't put a year model on the contract????

/ Disclosure of year of tractors #3  
It sounds strange to me. Did you ask the dealer why he didn't want to put the year on the purchase agreement? Or, maybe if you mentioned it to the bank they would have insisted on it being there, else how would they have any legal/valid documentation of value other than decoding the serial # if that applies in your case?

All in all, that sounds like a warning flag, better to find another dealer. I just know someone will post they have bought/sold hundreds of tractors and never had a model year on the paperwork :D
Dave.

PS Welcome to TBN!

Last edited:
   / Disclosure of year of tractors #4  
Tacrat
Welcome to the forum.
Not sure I understand, but interpret "contact" to be "contract".
On the contract, the date is there, so the year of purchase is there.
Then the serial number is likely there, and seems that is the extent of the information about a new tractor.
Don't blame you for backing out of the deal because the dealer could have interpreted the serial number for you and the year of build.
What brand tractor was it? I googled it and nothing came up, and am not familiar with that model number.

/ Disclosure of year of tractors
I moved this thread from the News/Feedback forum to this forum, thinking maybe you'll get more replies here. I know that tractors aren't usually referred to by year, as cars are, but I would think a dealer would tell you what year it was made by checking the serial number. From what you've said, I'm guessing he did tell you, and the bank, what year it was made, but just wouldn't put a year model on the contract????

Bird,
Thank you, for moving the thread
He did tell me but refused to disclose it on the contract. I ask if he could have the bank send me paperwork that disclosed the year. In addition, that same paperwork would have to be sent to the insurance company. Also, what was funny the contract did not list the vin number. The only thing listed was the type of tractor and equipment being purchased and let not forget the interest and payment.
:D

Tacrat
Welcome to the forum.
Not sure I understand, but interpret "contact" to be "contract".
On the contract, the date is there, so the year of purchase is there.
Then the serial number is likely there, and seems that is the extent of the information about a new tractor.
Don't blame you for backing out of the deal because the dealer could have interpreted the serial number for you and the year of build.
What brand tractor was it? I googled it and nothing came up, and am not familiar with that model number.

Beenthere,
The brand of tractor was the LS 2020 HST. I fallen in love with this tractor and all the bells that came with it. He stated the tractor was a 2010 model but would not provide doc. to support his words. I even ask if he could get the bank to send me a letter disclosing the year and you guessed it he refused. So my response was "NO DEAL"!!!!!!:cool:

Note the contract did not have the vin number --- only the model number, date of contract, and the type of equipment.

Below is a link to the website
http://lstractor.com/index.asp

Last edited:
   / Disclosure of year of tractors #7  
The way I understand it is this.... a tractor has a build date and a year model. The build date is of coarse when it was built by the manufacturer, and the year model is whatever year the tractor was actually sold. So you could have a 2008 built tractor that was sold in 2010 and it would be considered a 2010. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong.

It sounds strange to me. Did you ask the dealer why he didn't want to put the year on the purchase agreement? Or, maybe if you mentioned it to the bank they would have insisted on it being there, else how would they have any legal/valid documentation of value other than decoding the serial # if that applies in your case?

All in all, that sounds like a warning flag, better to find another dealer. I just know someone will post they have bought/sold hundreds of tractors and never had a model year on the paperwork :D
Dave.

PS Welcome to TBN!
Dave1949,
I'm thinking that my gut was right for once. I spoke to my Aunt, which works for a legel type company and she stated that he has to disclose that information on biding contract(s) in order to make it legel.

The way I understand it is this.... a tractor has a build date and a year model. The build date is of coarse when it was built by the manufacturer, and the year model is whatever year the tractor was actually sold. So you could have a 2008 built tractor that was sold in 2010 and it would be considered a 2010. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong.

DmansPadge,
Funny you mention that, I noticed on his lot (referring to Montana) the manufacturer data plate had JUN 00. I ask him what that meant and his reply was that means nothing all these tractors are 2009 or 2008 models with that type of data plate.:confused:

/ Disclosure of year of tractors #10  
I'm not real sure... but I'm sure somebody who knows will chime in soon. It does sound like the dealer is a little shady though by not providing you with any info you want. He should at least tell you when it was built and explain the year model/build date deal with you.