Are there tractor surveyors?

/ Are there tractor surveyors? #1  

sqdqo

Silver Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 492 w/Quicke Q750 loader
Are there independent tractor surveyors who will survey a tractors condition for a fee? For instance a tractor someone is interested that is too far away to inspect personally. The prospective tractor buyer could put his faith in the surveyor to give an accurate estimation of the tractors condition.

/ Are there tractor surveyors? #2  
Don't believe they exist as such, but might be wrong.

I always feel that a buyer would best pay an authorized dealer a couple of hours at labor rates to do an evaluation based on the trained mechanics knowledge.
Can sure save you a bundle as he would know the weaker and most common problems and wear tendancies.

One step up would be oil analisis, but that costs more and involves delays.
A good mechanic can rely on his ears and other senses to read a lot on condition.

2 hours or so of mechanics time is sure a small investment on a $10,000.+ investment!

Yellow pages should find the closest dealer and a credit card over the phone could authorize the survey.

As an aircraft mechanic, I would often checkout potential purchases for buyers always at a modest fee as I generally expected follow up work.

Good luck, hope you get a nice (good) tractor!

/ Are there tractor surveyors? #3  
They are usually called friends and online friends. IE..you find a tractor in.. BFE, post here asking if anyone is near that area that would be willing to zip buy ont he way home from work and give it a once over as if they were buying it and then report back.

BTDT for others, and had others do it for me.

2 of the last 4 tractors i bought were done site unseen based on recomendations from guys i kner online only, and only met once I did the driving to go grab the machine, and they were nice enough to meet me at the sales site so we could meet in person.

soundguy

/ Are there tractor surveyors?
I hadn't thought of that but everyone here seem like a great bunch of people, I would definitely do that, thanks for the idea.

/ Are there tractor surveyors? #5  
yea, i'll do it, send me a photo and i'll tell ya what i think and then pay me 150 bucks.

/ Are there tractor surveyors? #6  
I hadn't thought of that but everyone here seem like a great bunch of people, I would definitely do that, thanks for the idea.

If you pick someone on the TBN forum, you can always go back and read their comments on the posts they made, and get a feel for what they know, think they know, and what their bias is to a certain brand or brands of tractors.

I'd go either route...local dealer of that brand or TBN member.

/ Are there tractor surveyors? #7  
Hey I've got no problem going to look at any tractor.. as long as it is ford or NH.. :) ( couldn't resist.. )

soundguy

/ Are there tractor surveyors? #8  
In the Lancaster Farming magazine there are usually ads for people who appraise farm machinery, they usually not only do tractors but all types of farming equipment. Have no idea what they charge or their qualifications.

/ Are there tractor surveyors? #9  
You might try a heavy equipment damage appraiser. I use them all over the Northeast. They are trained to look for damage and price out necessary repairs.