After almost 5 years of looking...

/ After almost 5 years of looking... #1  

HunterdonPaul

Bronze Member
Crazy me! I moved back to NJ 5 years ago after living in Atlanta for 8 years. When I say move back home I mean 1/2 mile from my parents home (where I grew up) and 3/8 mile from my sisters home in the other direction. Its beautiful here in Hunterdon County, NJ. Despite the high price of homes, taxes, insurance and just about everything else I love it here and am very pleased that I can raise my children here like my parents did. Hunterdon, although growing still has some rural charm...some of the last of NJ. Hunterdon is nestled along the Delaware River and is just loaded with captivating scenary... yes in NJ!

When I moved back, I said I wanted acreage and a big tractor. I bought about 6 1/2 acres with a small pasture and 2 stall barn. I have been cutting that 3 1/2 acre pasture with a 15 year old 16 HP Simplicity Tractor which I bought used. This tractor needs some major repairs now but served me well in the last couple of years.

Well I finally decided to by a real tractor while JD and Kubota were offering their rebates. The local dealers were really high in price and wouldn't budge. I started looking in PA and found a bunch of dealers that were tremendously better in price. I did my best to research these dealers including several e-mails with some of you. I believe I found a good one - Messicks Farm Equipment in Elizabethtown, PA. My salesman was Mel Zimmerman. Mel was unlike alot of other salesmen - he actually knew and understood the products Many salesmen that I spoke to knew the buzzwords and some vague details, but Mel understood the tractors. He could actually answer all of my questions.... I found out why. He has been working there for (30?) years. He was a mechanic and for many of those years as well as an office worker. Now he is in sales and he is really a pleasant person to work with. Thanks Mel.

After debating the JD vs Kubota thing for nearly the whole 5 years I finally went with Kubota. It was down to the very last day when I decided (July 31, 2002). I had a faxed quote from Messicks for an L3710HST, R4s, FROPS, L681 Loader and 6ft rotary cutter. I know, I know ...why do I need such a big tractor for 6 1/2 acres... I don't know I guess I like 'em big and powerful.

When I arrived there and started looking at the tractors again, I finally came to my senses. I moved down to the B series and finally bought:

Kubota B2910HST
FEL
R4s
Foldable ROPS
Canapy
Woods BB60 Rotary Mower, slip clutch, laminate wheel

For this property I'm sure its all the tractor that I will ever need. I think I made the right choice and am very happy with the price. I won't post the price but would be happy to share it with you in email.

I am supposed to receive the tractor in a couple of weeks and just can't wait. I hope to post a little more and share my projects with you all. I know I will have alot of questions. In fact, let me start now...

[1] When using the loader on this model, do I need ballast in the back of the tractor?

[2] When using just the rotary mower, do I need ballast in the front of the tractor?

and the hardest question to answer -

[3] Why isn't my wife as excited about this purchase as I am? The kids are. Is this common with wifes?

[4] More to come...

I'm counting those days go by.. I can't wait....

Paul

/ After almost 5 years of looking... #2  
<font color=blue>When using the loader on this model, do I need ballast in the back of the tractor?</font color=blue>

Yes, I usually used my box blade.

<font color=blue>When using just the rotary mower, do I need ballast in the front of the tractor?</font color=blue>

Probably not, I never did with mine, but I don't know enough about the BB60 to know what it weighs.

<font color=blue>Why isn't my wife as excited about this purchase as I am?</font color=blue>

Beats me; I never could understand that myself./w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ After almost 5 years of looking... #3  
Congrats Paul. Hope that wait was worth it!

<font color=blue>[1] When using the loader on this model, do I need ballast in the back of the tractor?</font color=blue>

Like Bird said, yes and a box blade is dandy for that as is just about any other tph implement.

<font color=blue>[2] When using just the rotary mower, do I need ballast in the front of the tractor?</font color=blue>

If you leave the FEL on you'll be fine. If you take it off you may need some front weights. I always leave mine on.

<font color=blue>and the hardest question to answer -

[3] Why isn't my wife as excited about this purchase as I am? The kids are. Is this common with wifes?</font color=blue>

I can't say my wife gets as excited about tractor stuff as I do, but she sure enjoys using it. Sometimes we have to flip for seat time /w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif

<font color=blue>[4] More to come...</font color=blue>

Bring 'em on /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ After almost 5 years of looking... #4  
I bought a 2710 last year and am VERY happy with it. If I had it to do over again I would have bought the 2910. You are going to love the extendable link ends on the 3pt hitch arms. They are so cool, and make attaching implements a snap. I have had no problems with the tractor and am very pleased with it performance. If you wouldn't mind could you private message me about the financials on your purchase. Even though I had purchased the tractor 2 years ago I am still curious to see if I really did get a good deal !

Thanks, Jason

/ After almost 5 years of looking... #5  
Those 2910's sure have a nice seat. I'm sure you'll be very happy viewing the new property from that nice seat. I've been waiting over 3 weeks for my tractor also, can't wait.

As far as the questions go on my present tractor I just leave the FEL on as I mow, therefore no additional ballast needed. When using the FEL it would be ok with the mower deck but without you will need another heavy attachment on the 3PT, filled tires, or weights for the wheels.

/ After almost 5 years of looking... #6  
Paul
Congrat’s on the new tractor. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

<font color=blue> [1] When using the loader on this model, do I need ballast in the back of the tractor? </font color=blue>

You should always have some ballast on rear of tractor when using the loader. I have a <font color=green>JD </font color=green> ballast box on my 2910. It is much smaller than a box blade or other attachment. Makes it easier to move around in tight spots. <font color=orange>Kubota</font color=orange> is supposed to have a ballast box. But I have not seen one yet.

<font color=blue> [3] Why isn't my wife as excited about this purchase as I am? The kids are. Is this common with wife’s?</font color=blue>

/w3tcompact/icons/hmm.gif My wife will not use our 2910. She does like the projects that we can do with it. If it had diamonds for headlamps she might start using it. /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

<font color=blue> [4] More to come...</font color=blue>

Hope you can post some pictures when you take delivery. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ After almost 5 years of looking... #7  
Paul,

Shhhhhh, about the nice parts of NJ, that is a secret, we do not need anyone to know that, we work real hard on letting out of state people think NJ is just chemical plants and people…LOL. Really happy you decided on a new tractor, good luck with it. Perhaps we can tractor pull on Sliker Rd! I went the Pa route on my BX2200 too, got to love the down home feeling you get in Pa! You know my wife has the same feelings about tractors as yours does, must be the water or something…., OK I will not go there.

Enjoy!

Tom

Washington, " the other side of the mountain"

/ After almost 5 years of looking... #8  
Congrats Paul,
As I replied in your other post, I was very, very happy with Messicks. I bought my TC21D off of Mel also. Mel was excellent to deal with, and even delivered the tractor to my house himself. He send a mechanic 80 miles one way to fix a leak that I had on my tractor. No Charge. I felt bad about after I found out that I could have fixed it myself. Messicks are a top notch dealership, and anyone in South to Central Pa should take the time to talk to them before buying. I've got no other reason for saying these things , but my own experience. Good Luck with the new Bota. Kent

/ After almost 5 years of looking... #9  
Don't forget about the other Kubota dealers around Lancaster County. There are Hoober's in Intercourse (for those out-of-stater's, that IS the town's real name) and Keller Brothers in Lancaster. Glenn at Keller was $1,500 below Messick on my B7500HSD, and Hoober's price was in the middle.............chim

/ After almost 5 years of looking... #10  
Chim,
You make a great point with your post. I've been dealing with people from different regions of Pa for about 20 years, and I've found some of the nicest people in the Lancaster area. I've got a few good friends from in that area, that I've met from my job. I'm from a bit farther north of that area. And the dealers in my area are very good also, but I was very, very pleased with Mel, and Messicks. I wasn't trying to downgrade anyone else. Thanks for reminding me. Kent