water in oil?

/ water in oil? #1  

AlbertC

Silver Member
Tractor
New holland 3930
What would be the cause of a tractor with water in the oil. I am looking at a ford 3930. They want $5000 but it says it has water in the oil.

Can anyone tell me what would the possible causes of this be and how much $$ to fix.

Thanks

/ water in oil? #2  
What would be the cause of a tractor with water in the oil. I am looking at a ford 3930. They want $5000 but it says it has water in the oil.

Can anyone tell me what would the possible causes of this be and how much $$ to fix.

Thanks

Which oil are you talking about? Engine or transmission?

Depending on the amount of water it could have been in a flood or driven in creek.

Small amount of water could possibly be from condensation. I.e using for short time and not allowing the moisture to evaporate.

Roy

/ water in oil? #3  

Thanks

It could be:
Blown Head Gasket ($$)
Warped head ($$$)
cracked block ($$$$$$$$$$$$$)

Even with just the blown head gasket, you're probably looking at a tear down to replace the main bearings and maybe the cam and cam bearings. It could be worse though...the crankshaft journals might be scored.
If the tractor overheated, the head might be warped. That will require machine shop services to deck the head.
If you are mechanically inclined and able to tear an engine down and rebuild, it might be a decent deal. If you have to have a mechanic do the work, figure up to the cost of the tractor's price to rebuild (if you rebuild, you may as well go all the way and do the entire engine.

A cracked block probably isn't worth rebuilding. This would be engine replacement time.

Good luck!

/ water in oil? #4  
I'd have a different interpretation. I'd take that to mean the tractor has a cracked block or head, or a bad head gasket. If it were me I'd let someone else buy that unit.

/ water in oil? #5  
Walk away!:eek:
Don't look back.

/ water in oil? #6  
I agree with roy.. head gasket, head, liners with holes or hole in block if parent bore with no liners or cracked block.

Since coolant is awfull hard on bearings.. I too would walk away from that unit.

Sure.. could be some water from condensation that got mixed inthe oil because the unit didn't run.. but if so.. don't say it has water in the oil, change the dern oil mad then run it and check it..

if I wer to want to buy it.. for sure would be doing a leakdown test and a bunch of other tests on it.. so many that it likely wouldn't be worth the trouble unless it was an elcheapo tractor price.

soundguy

/ water in oil? #7  
If you feel right with it and the thought that you might have to put 6,000 into it to make it right then buy it.

To say that is to much, then don't buy it becuse if you need another engine that is about what you might have to spend.

/ water in oil? #8  
Find out the low Blue Book then deduct on the high side the cost of repairs and some more bucks for your time and effort. Why do you think the guy wants to get rid of it? Otherwise you're just throwing 5k into the wind.

/ water in oil? #9  
Walk away from it, we had a Ford 3610 (only difference from 3910 is hydraulic brakes) that got water in the oil, happened while backing an empty gravity wagon in the shed. Found out the block was cracked internally and not repairable. It took 3 more blocks from the junk yard to find one that wasn't cracked. The guys at the junk yard said that series of block has several weak spots prone to cracking.

/ water in oil? #10  
Run and run fast.

Chris