Buying long distance !

/ Buying long distance ! #1  

Guttery_Gipe

Tractor
Zetor 4340, Case 1120
The good news - Im found a Zetor tractor on the internet that I think would be ideal fit for my needs. Its got low hours and configured just how I would want it and is for sale through an established dealer that has been responsive to my queries.

The bad new - its located 700 miles from me !

Is there a way I can get this tractor inspected by a good mechanic ?
Or should I just forget about it and stick with whats available locally ?

/ Buying long distance ! #2  
I don't think I'd give up. If the price, with the shipping figured in, still is good and the machine is what you want, Yes, I'd buy from a distance.

Yes, while you might "trust" this dealer, but still, another set of eyes would be very helpful. Not sure I would give up on it.

/ Buying long distance ! #3  
Forget it and buy locally. That'a a 2 day drive. Unless of course its a relative's (like Dad's), or a friend's. What is so special about that particular tractor that you can't find within 25 miles? Are there Zetor parts in your locale?

/ Buying long distance !
If I was going for it Id have it shipped. Cost wise it would still pan out.

Im on the road a good bit with my day job and would have good enough access to parts. And not farming full time so I can wait a day or two for parts if needed.

Good weight (~7000lbs) + loader + cab + >1000 hours isnt that easy for me to find locally.

/ Buying long distance ! #5  
If I was going for it Id have it shipped. Cost wise it would still pan out.

Im on the road a good bit with my day job and would have good enough access to parts. And not farming full time so I can wait a day or two for parts if needed.

Good weight (~7000lbs) + loader + cab + >1000 hours isnt that easy for me to find locally.

Just make sure it isnt a SCAM!! I think you can safely say, if it sounds too good to be true you are about to be had...

good luck
b

/ Buying long distance ! #6  
I have bought long distance twice.........with outstanding results. What I have done both times is to sit down and put together a list of important questions about the machine. Specific questions concerning condition, maintenance, hours......etc. Then as you ask the seller those questions write the answers down and then put them into a sales agreement or what I have called a condition report / acknowledgement that will be signed off by the seller. If they balk at signing it then you should walk away. If they sign it and you get the machine and it is not as the condition report outlines then you have a written document to use for recourse. Then you can file a judgement in the sellers area through a magistrate........which you can do through the mail. PS......I did spend a lot of time on a JD once......the seller would not sign off on the condition report even though he provided the information. I walked away from the sale.

/ Buying long distance !
Whitey - thats an interesting Idea. I think I'll try that.
I was thinking how I could make something like that a condition of the sale.

I dont think its a scam - Ive found the dealer in Yellow book and when I call the same number & ask for Parts Dept it checks out.

/ Buying long distance ! #8  
I've done this once on this forum when I purchased a new Woods BH90-X backhoe from a brick and mortar store on the other side of our country from me. I posted the outfit's name and ask for opinions from those that have had dealings with them.
My concern was that after paying in advance, would I receive the backhoe as per their promise. It worked out great, thanks again to Dan at Rosseel"s Farm and Garden Supply in Michigan.

/ Buying long distance ! #9  
The good news - Im found a Zetor tractor on the internet that I think would be ideal fit for my needs. Its got low hours and configured just how I would want it and is for sale through an established dealer that has been responsive to my queries.

The bad new - its located 700 miles from me !

Is there a way I can get this tractor inspected by a good mechanic ?
Or should I just forget about it and stick with whats available locally ?

I buy all around the country. I bought a backhoe from 3000 miles away in CA, a MACK tri-axle from SC, another dumptruck from TN, a farm tractor from upstate NY.

Just ask for a lot of pics and if it's really a concern, hire a local tractor mec and have him look it over. I had a NH dealer look my backhoe over and fax me a report. Trucks I bought based on pictures. So far so good.

I'd rather take a chance and get almost exactly what I want if it's a long ways away.

700 miles is nothing. I see equip. shipped all over the world.