Comparison John Deere versus Kubota

/ John Deere versus Kubota #1  

dkostiha

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 3120
I currently own a JD 770 and I have owned two other JDs before it. I have been very happy with them overall. I am currently wanting to buy a 25-40 HP, 4wd tractor with a front end loader. I have narrowed it down to JD or Kubota. What are the pros and cons of these two brands ? Is a geared or hydrostat transmission the way to go ? I will be doing some loader work, but not alot, mostly shredding.

/ John Deere versus Kubota #2  
Kubtoa and JD both make good products. I would lean towards an HST just for ease of use. Just comparing what you have to what is available in Kubota's line up to what you have know, I'd look at either a Kubota B model or L model.

/ John Deere versus Kubota #3  
I cant say anything pro/con about JD and Kubota, IMO they are the best 2 you can buy.
My decision came down to a dealer who really wanted to sell me a tractor...the Kubota dealer made me feel like I was a 12 year old kicking tires, JD Dealer treated me and continues to treat me very well.

Buy from whichever dealer is better for you.

/ John Deere versus Kubota #4  
I own a John Deere as well as a Kubota and for what you describe as your intended use, I can't honestly say one is better than the other; both are good.

I personally prefer the control layout on the Kubota, but others prefer the John Deere.

As to transmission, I have both and like HST over geared, but again I can't say one is "better" than the other and there is a really detailed thread on one of these dealing with "geared v HST".

My advice would be to climb on a LOT of different models and check spec sheets to compare with what you need.

Either way, I don't think you will have an "I wish I had bought a John Deere/Kubota instead of this John Deere /Kubota.

Wish I could of been more help.

/ John Deere versus Kubota #5  
Welcome to the Forum.

A good dilema to have. :)

Both are good and have happy operators. But too, I'd suggest the HST and hope that the model Kubota you look at has the individual brake pedals on the left side. :) They are worthless on the right side with the forward/reverse pedals. IMO

Might come down to dealer choice for you (or who will sharpen their pencil better than the other). Enjoy the ride.

/ John Deere versus Kubota #6  
I agree with the others and would add that since the two brands are so close and you have had several tractors then climb on them all and pick the one you like the best.

For myself I preferred the Deere with ehydro so that is what I bought.

/ John Deere versus Kubota #7  
Tough call. I just went through the same thing, although with a smaller unit. I looked at JD, Kubota, Cub, and NH locally. In the end for me it came down to which dealer actually wanted my business, was going to be decent to deal with for any future service issues (my local Kubota dealer isn't exactly people friendly, to be kind...), resale potential, and my preference of control layouts. Otherwise, it seems difficult to buy a bad tractor these days.

/ John Deere versus Kubota #8  
I currently own a JD 770 and I have owned two other JDs before it. I have been very happy with them overall. I am currently wanting to buy a 25-40 HP, 4wd tractor with a front end loader. I have narrowed it down to JD or Kubota. What are the pros and cons of these two brands ? Is a geared or hydrostat transmission the way to go ? I will be doing some loader work, but not alot, mostly shredding.

Well, the lowest cost tractor that fits would be the 790/3005. Since it's virtually identical with your 770, the learning curve would be brief (like...30 seconds). However the 790/3005, with it's 27 Engine and 24 PTO HP, isn't that big a jump over what you already have.
So, the tractor I'd recommend would be the 3320 with the power-reverser transmission. This machine has 32 engine HP and about 28 at the PTO. That's a substantial increase over what you have now. There's also a substantial increase in lifting capacity at the 3PH and loader (if you buy a loader). Although I'd go for the power-reverser tranny, you may as well try whatever the dealer has on his lot (which will probably be an HST).
I like what I see with Kubotas too, but when comparing them to the JD's, pay particular attention to the engine and PTO HP's.

/ John Deere versus Kubota #9  
Tough call. I just went through the same thing, although with a smaller unit. I looked at JD, Kubota, Cub, and NH locally. In the end for me it came down to which dealer actually wanted my business, was going to be decent to deal with for any future service issues (my local Kubota dealer isn't exactly people friendly, to be kind...), resale potential, and my preference of control layouts. Otherwise, it seems difficult to buy a bad tractor these days.

True that.:D It was down to dealers for me, no question of the two brands after running both tractors and looking at longevity of brand, dealer support. The 790 had a slight edge in tractor size to HP for my needs. The kubota dealer here actually helps deere sales ALOT more than it realizes the way its attitude is with tractors and equipment sales. The same TWIT:D sells NH stuff too, I looked at the little blue tractors as an option but he already sealed his fate of his potential sale with me. You cant go wrong with ether brand, The dealers in your case should be the final piece of your 'wich one' quandary.

/ John Deere versus Kubota #10  
I have one Orange and two Green, all good equipment.

Most recent purchase was Green, and it all came down to the dealer. Problems with the Orange/Blue dealer, treated fairly by the Green one.

It comes down to finding something you enjoy driving/working that you can get from some dealer you feel good about and can trust.