Farm tax id number????

/ Farm tax id number???? #11  
I live in Alabama. When I go to Tractor Supply and buy "farm equipment" items, I pay the "farm-rate" tax.
One example was a Swisher brush mower (similar to a "DR"). At checkout, the register rang up the sale with the "farm tax" rate.
Another time, I bought a riding mower - that ALSO goes at the farm-tax rate.
When purchasing out of state, if you have the item delivered, the SELLING state should charge you NO TAX. You are responsible for reporting/filing/paying YOUR state tax (if any).
(If you pick up and take your purchase with you, I think you must pay the selling state tax - but you SHOULD get their farm tax rate - without showing any proof you own/operate a farm.)
Just how I have experienced farm taxes....

/ Farm tax id number???? #12  
I'm trying to buy a dozer and the seller is telling me to qualify for the sales tax exemption I have to provide a farm tax id number. Has anybody heard of this? What is involved to qualify? I'm in Lousiana. I have tried calling local farmers, state and local offices, dealerships, etc and nobody knows what I am talking about. The state the dozer is in is Tenn. I don't know if there are certain state laws that may be different. I just want to know what this form with a number on it is I need and how to go about getting it. Any info would be much appreciated.

You're getting responses all over the place - from everywhere. The best response so far is from the equipment dealer in east TN who said if you live outside the state you wouldn't owe tax.

I'd recommend calling the TN state comptrollers office and talk to someone there who can 'educate' the dealer - and you- on the actual rules for farm tax exemptions on equipment purchased in TN by an out of state buyer.

It really doesn't matter that someone in Mich. or where ever doesn't pay sales tax on something they buy at Tractor Supply or someone in OK had to file something at the courthouse. Those things don't apply to your situation.

/ Farm tax id number???? #13  
I found this on the Farmers, Timber Harvesters and Nurserymen Sales Tax Exemption

>>The Department of Revenue’s Taxpayer and Vehicle Services Division is in the process of educating and registering qualified farmers, nursery operators and timber harvesters regarding upcoming changes in Tennessee’s agricultural exemptions from sales and use tax. Effective Jan. 1, 2008, those purchasing qualified farm equipment, seed and other tax-exempt farm and nursery supplies must present proof of their status as an exempt farmer, nursery operator or timber harvester by providing, directly to the seller, a copy of their Agricultural Sales and Use Tax Certificate of Exemption.<<<<

The dealer just either doesn't know what to do with an out of state purchaser or doesn't want to find out how to handle it or maybe...........intends to collect the tax from you and not submit it to the state.

I didn't find anything about out-of-state equipment purchasers on the website but I doubt the state of TN would expect you to have their tax exemption certificate if you live in La. So, I recommend calling the Comptrollers office for an answer.

/ Farm tax id number???? #14  
I have an agr. tax exemption number in Tenn. There is a few ways
to qualify for them, I got mine due to the amount of land I have there, and
the way it is declared as "greenbelt agriculture".