Farm tax id number????

/ Farm tax id number???? #1  

cdover73

Silver Member
Tractor
2006 Mahindra 4530
I'm trying to buy a dozer and the seller is telling me to qualify for the sales tax exemption I have to provide a farm tax id number. Has anybody heard of this? What is involved to qualify? I'm in Lousiana. I have tried calling local farmers, state and local offices, dealerships, etc and nobody knows what I am talking about. The state the dozer is in is Tenn. I don't know if there are certain state laws that may be different. I just want to know what this form with a number on it is I need and how to go about getting it. Any info would be much appreciated.

/ Farm tax id number???? #2  
If you can get him to deliver it out of state he is not responsible for the sales tax.

/ Farm tax id number???? #3  
Farm Tax ID number is like the employer number on your W2. There is a form you fill out declairing that your a farm.

Google "Farm Tax ID Number" and you will find your answer.

/ Farm tax id number???? #5  
Oklahoma: All I had to do was go to court house and fill out some forms stating what my farm's objective was. In my case it's hay. At the time I had no machinery so nothing there to declare. It took about 10 minutes and off I go... not paying taxes for all my machinery and little stuff I use at the farm.

/ Farm tax id number???? #6  
I got a form at the local Co-op. One page to fill out. Sent it to Nashville and got my farm number a few weeks later.

/ Farm tax id number???? #8  
I'm a farm equipment dealer in east TN, if you were buying a dozer from me and you were in Louisiana, you would not have to pay sales tax.

/ Farm tax id number???? #9  
The farm tax ID number they are refering to is what gets issued to you when you set up a business for tax purposes. I have a LLC for my farm and was required to have a tax ID for the farm business. It's like a social security number for your business. It's how the government tracks your business for tax reasons, just like they track individual persons. I'm sure you could get one for your farm if you show it is being run for a business. The drawback would be you need to pay an anual fee to keep the tax ID number and register it with the state. You would also need to file a tax return for the business. Probably more work than you want just to make one purchase.

/ Farm tax id number???? #10  
I have heard of it, I have one in IL. I automatically got it when I bought farm land that was under CRP.