Buying decision Kubota BX23 or BX 24?

/ Buying decision Kubota BX23 or BX 24? #1  

Scotty Dive

Veteran Member
Tractor
Yanmar 2020D
I have the ability to purchase from a Kubota dealer a BX24 (LA243 loader & BT600 backhoe) that has the updated plastic and between a BX23 (LA210 loader and BT600 BH). Both tractors are under 100 hours and in very good condition. Price is about a $1000 difference. This will be my first tractor and need a tractor to haul logs up a hill and maintain a small pond and general homeowner landscaping tasks. Would appreciate good constructive pros and cons of both machines and things to watch out for.

/ Buying decision Kubota BX23 or BX 24? #2  
First off Welcome aboard. I have a BX24 and dont have anything bad to say about it. It does everything that I ask of it and more. Did you sit on both and operate both?? I know that in hi range in reverse when you let your foot off of the pedal it stops abruptly. Many didn't like that but it doesn't bother me. I dont know if the BX23 did it. So test drive them both and see which one you like better. Obviously the BX24 is the newer version. Is the warranty on them the same?? Any attachments included with one and not the other?? I wish you lots of luck with your new toy ( I mean tool ) and enjoy it.

/ Buying decision Kubota BX23 or BX 24? #3  
If hauling logs includes working in rough terrain, note that the BX series have relatively low ground clearance and a somewhat vulnerable hydraulic fan directly below the operator's seat. If you're good with that, I'm sure either one would be fine.
Mike

/ Buying decision Kubota BX23 or BX 24? #4  
As MikeInEburg pointed out that is indeed a week point on the BX. But a well made skid plate will solve that problem and are available from BXpanded. Along with lots of other great accesories.

/ Buying decision Kubota BX23 or BX 24? #5  
First off Welcome aboard. I have a BX24 and dont have anything bad to say about it. It does everything that I ask of it and more. Did you sit on both and operate both?? I know that in hi range in reverse when you let your foot off of the pedal it stops abruptly. Many didn't like that but it doesn't bother me.
I dont know if the BX23 did it. So test drive them both and see which one you like better. Obviously the BX24 is the newer version.
Is the warranty on them the same?? Any attachments included with one and not the other?? I wish you lots of luck with your new toy ( I mean tool ) and enjoy it.
No it didn't; the problem was created with the introduction of the bx24.
Most used tractors don't come with a warranty.

Last edited:
   / Buying decision Kubota BX23 or BX 24? #6  
I bought a new BX23 in Nov of 2004.
I don't like the BX24 nearly as well and am very glad I bought new when I did.
*The BX24 has the notorious jerking when shifting from forward to reverse .
I would go for the BX23 Hands down especially for a $1000 less / No Contest.

I have the ability to purchase from a Kubota dealer a BX24 (LA243 loader & BT600 backhoe) that has the updated plastic and between a BX23 (LA210 loader and BT600 BH). Both tractors are under 100 hours and in very good condition. Price is about a $1000 difference. This will be my first tractor and need a tractor to haul logs up a hill and maintain a small pond and general homeowner landscaping tasks. Would appreciate good constructive pros and cons of both machines and things to watch out for.

/ Buying decision Kubota BX23 or BX 24?
Thanks All - Although I would prefer a later model year (BX24), I hear most owners are happier with the BX23. Do both of these tractors use the same engine/drive train? What problems are either of these prone to?

/ Buying decision Kubota BX23 or BX 24? #8  
Thanks All - Although I would prefer a later model year (BX24), I hear most owners are happier with the BX23. Do both of these tractors use the same engine/drive train? What problems are either of these prone to?

I've had zero problems with the bx23... unless getting several flat tires count?

I took care of that by having the rears foam-filled... can't go flat now and the extra weight down low adds to stability and back-hoe performance on my hilly property.

I did add the skid plate too.

/ Buying decision Kubota BX23 or BX 24?
Thanks All.. the BX 24 is $13,900 and the BX 23 is $12,500. Both are about 100 hours. I drove the BX24 but have yet to see (other than Pictures) or drive the BX 23.

So far I have a pros and Cons List Going - Please PLEASE do not take this as a dig against your machine...I am just compiling some of this data and noting it because its important to me: Please add or change if I got it wrong. I should also note the items I need to do with the tractor.
1. Driveway snow removal
2. Access to part of my property at the bottom of a 30 degree hill
3. Pond excavation and maintenance
4. Log hauling up hill
5. General lanscaping - Field Stone retaining wall, back filling, land clearing, digging out stumps/rocks

BX23
$1400 cheaper
Loader Valve stays on Tractor -
Steel Body Parts
Better Tranny than the 24
No reverse Issue
Air brackets tend to break
Issues with getting back to neutral to start - important with my hilly property
Smaller Alternator
Lower FEL capacity
No tach
Smaller rims - lower grand clearance
"Older tractor" - less re sale value

BX 24
$1400 more expensive
Full Cat 1 3 PT
Hydraulic lines better protected
60 lbs more FEL lift
1HP more
Digital Tach
10 inch tires - higher ground clearance
Improved brakes
Plastic fender issue
No hydraulics at idle

Both need skid plates

/ Buying decision Kubota BX23 or BX 24? #10  
First, kudos for doing your homework.

I think your loader valve bullet is reversed...stays on 24.

As for steel vs plastic, depends on how you use tractor. Steel bends/rusts, plastic flexes/breaks.

Don't think 23 tranny "better", just doesn't have abrupt reverse stop engineered in...however, I do like the 23's treadle better than the 24's HST pedal arrangement.

There's an alternator upgrade for 23.

Full Cat1 3PT on 24...almost.

Make sure 24 has upgrades, especially fender fix. Upgraded seat is a plus.

Hydraulic pressure can be tweaked on both.

Filled rear tires make both more stable and work harder...they can be tippy, thanks to narrow treadwidth.

Based on how you plan to use, I think you'll be happy with either...