Is Ford 4000 strong enough?

/ Is Ford 4000 strong enough? #1  

Johnc65

A dealer recommended that I not put a front end loader on a Ford 4000 because he said the front end of the 4000 was too weak - that it would work well for a while, but that enventually the load stress would would cause me to lose the front end. Is this true? Any advice or comments out there?

/ Is Ford 4000 strong enough? #2  
Dad has a late 60's 4000 Ford with a 3 cylinder gas engine and a considerably heavier rearend than the late 50's early 60's had. The front end was also heavier. Dad has had the loader on tractor since 1976 and has had no problems with the front end other than replacing normal wear parts. The loader he has slips my mind at this time but it is very heavy with a 6' bucket and it is quick attach. I would not be scared to put a loader on it.

/ Is Ford 4000 strong enough? #3  
See my response to your other post.
Please only post once, double posting is difficult to follow, and typically does not elicit more responses than a single post.

/ Is Ford 4000 strong enough? #4  
I friend of mine has one with a loader. He's busted the front tie-rods 3 or 4 times already. Go see the tractor and judge for yourself if it will handle it. I'm amazed at how "light" the fron end seams to be on the 4000. Other than that, they seem to be strong reliable mowers.

/ Is Ford 4000 strong enough? #5  
Do they have power steering? The tie rod doesn't bear any weight of the loader so I'm not sure how it keeps tearing them up unless maybe there is that much force on the tie rods to turn under a load?

Last edited:
   / Is Ford 4000 strong enough? #6  
He may have broken other things too, not sure. But, whenever operating it, it always looks like the front end is straining under the weight of the loader. He babies it and tries to avoid sharp turns, which seems to put the most strain in it. I keep suggesting that he weld in some stops to further limit the turning angle, if he's that concerned.

I've only driven it once. As best I can recall it does have power steering.

It appears there are variations in different years of this tractor. Best advice would be to go look at it, test drive it, and judge for one's self on the front end.

/ Is Ford 4000 strong enough? #7  
I friend of mine has one with a loader. He's busted the front tie-rods 3 or 4 times already. Go see the tractor and judge for yourself if it will handle it. I'm amazed at how "light" the fron end seams to be on the 4000. Other than that, they seem to be strong reliable mowers.

which 4000 does he have? an older 4 cyl model? a SU model?

soundguy

/ Is Ford 4000 strong enough? #8  
Don't know specific models or years (1970's is all I know). Don't know a whole lot about those Fords. But, the front end parts are all quite small.

I think his loader is also too heavy for it. It's a home made loader with the fluid stored in the arms. It's quite a beast of a loader, even when empty.

But, that front end is disproportionately small. Sure seems like it should be more in line with the rest of the tractor, which is quite sturdy.

Other than the front end, it has been very reliable for him. Starts right up in all kinds of weather and he takes that thing into some aweful places - steep, heavily wooded, rocky, etc. Kinda like the energizer bunny - keeps on going.....as long as you baby that front end by avoiding roots, rocks, and ruts that seem to break it every time.

I still think he'd get better service if he limited the turning angle a bit more than it is now.

/ Is Ford 4000 strong enough? #9  
sounds like it could be a SU model. does the front axle have arms that bolt back to the transmission housing?

soundguy

/ Is Ford 4000 strong enough? #10  
I have an older 4600 SU I use for finish grading and it is a great tractor but I've had to replace 2 front spindles. I think the front end would be too weak to have a FEL on one. There is another model that had a lot heavier straight type front axle on it. It may have been a regular 4600, it had taller tires and the front axle had what appeared to be pretty heavy channel that the ends would slide in and out to set wheel width. That model looked like it would have been able to support a FEL.

Topstrap