Barter/Trade or $$$???

/ Barter/Trade or $$$??? #1  

FxdGrMind

Silver Member
Tractor
B7800
Ok, was working on the "Comunity Gravel Road" yesterday, it's nothing spectacular, just re-shaping and taking out the ruts and pot holes....

Another neighbor stopped me and asked if I "Hire out"...?

I said "I don't know"... leaving it an open ended discussion, but that I'd take a look at his drive ... MUCH Longer than our comunity road but up the same slope, but has switchbacks in it.

So I was thinking I should ask here what other TBN'rs do? I don't want to go into business and don't want the inshurance hassle either.

What are the options for "Barter/Trade" or "Good Neighbor policy" would either get me into any "Liability" if someone might wreck on his private road if I were the one that did the re-surfacing/grading....???

I'm thinking if I were to do it, we could barter the time for some seat time with his excavator... :D

What do you all think? is it a bad idea? I hate "Legal" entanglements.

/ Barter/Trade or $$$??? #2  
It is sad that we have reached a point in society that one has to worry about things such as this. I am old school. If it was a neighbor I liked and trusted, and if I felt capable of doing the job, and enjoyed the work, I would certainly do it with the understanding of a "payback" of use of his excavator if he is willing. If I felt the need to draw up a legal document, I would let him hire a professional to do it. Any lawyer here on TBN will probably tell you why I am foolish.

/ Barter/Trade or $$$??? #3  
Unless you have some sort of waiver from all who use the "Community Road", you face no greater exposure by working on your neighbor's drive than what you do now. I prefer the barter method and have had the use of a Bobcat Skid Steer for some time this way.

Yes it is a sad state of affairs as we did this growing up on a farm helping neighbors, borrowing equipment, building barnes or houses and never thought of any possible downside.

ADVISORY: I am not a lawyer though I spent many years in court rooms watching criminal and civil proceedings, scary stuff.