Tractor Sizing Tractor size

/ Tractor size #1  

Anonymous Poster

Is there a rule of thumb as to how to determine the size tractor you need?

/ Tractor size #2  
Yeah! How much money ya got? /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

Only kidding RT! /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

Determining the best size for you involves a lot of different factors. Certainly money is one of the more important considerations.

But you also have to consider how you're going to be using the machine, the kind of environment/terrain that you have to deal with, if other people will be operating the machine besides you, and a number of factors.

There might be a "general" rule that the agricultural pros use to determine the size of their equipment, but I'm not familiar with what it might be, if it exists at all.

But you've come to the right place to help you decide. No one here will tell you what to buy. Well, actually that's not true. A lot of people here will tell you what to buy. But only from the good sense that they're very happy with the machine they purchased, and they tend to be a little territorial. But everyone here will also provide you information in all aspects of the decision making process, so that at some point, you'll feel reasonably comfortable in making your choice.

Good luck on your search. This part is half the fun!! /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif/w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif

/ Tractor size #3  
As big as you can afford!!! /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

No, on a more serious note, it's kindof hard to explain "rules" for determining. I haven't seen anything expressly written out yet. I'd say it depends more on "feel" and "experience."

Some things are obvious (e.g. ***I*** wouldn't want to mow 20 acres with a 15 HP machine or mow a 100' x 50' lot with a 40 HP machine - just under/over-kill.) Other times though, well, it is more "iffy" as to what size is appropriate.

One way you can help get a little more "feel" is to figure out what type of implements you want to use and then "back in to" the size tractor. e.g. if the rotary cutter you're looking at is rated for 25-40 hp, well, then you have a ballpark to start with.

If you describe what you intend on using it for, believe me, plenty of good folks will contribute their $.02 as to what "sounds right" as far as HP...

/ Tractor size #4  
The determining factors for me were the physical size of the unit and the average size of the jobs I was doing. Needed a small tractor to turn in those small yards.

Weight and size for towing were a consideration, as was size for storage.

Bucket size and lift capacity were important.

Turfman

/ Tractor size #5  
If you purchase Muhammed's Tractor Buying Guide, you wll find alt of useful information to help you make such a decision/ Attached is a chart from his book that gives some guidance.

(Moderators, if this attachment is inappropriate, please delete this post).

Attachments

• 46-182291-tractorsize2.BMP
    26.5 KB · Views: 106
   / Tractor size #6  
"Is there a rule of thumb as to how to determine the size tractor you need?"

If there is a general rule of thumb you should probably ignore it. For instance, I'm all over the place on Muhammed's chart. A thirty five hp tractor weighing 8k lbs on 88 acres does not fit into any of his catagories. But the 35 hp tractor does all I want with some power to spare.

I would start the decision making process by working backwards. Define the tasks you want to do, then determine the hp and weight needed to accomplish those tasks. For instance, mowing is usually up there on the list of reasons to buy a tractor. From my observation it takes around 5-7 hp per foot of mower width, depending upon what you're cutting, and how closely you're cutting it. A look through the specs in the back of the sales brochures will give you an idea of weight and size needed for different size and lifting capacity front end loaders, backhoe digging depth, box blade size, ect.

And, as someone mentioned, if you were to give us an idea of what you want to do with the tractor, I'm sure you'll get a lot of feedback on what size will accomplish that task.

Dave Perry

/ Tractor size #7  
Another very important consideration are the dealers. I just had a green-colored one delivered to my house yesterday. There was damage on the loader and a few other asthetic problems that, in and of themselves, wouldn't have mattered. But coupled with the loader problems, added up quickly. I'm getting a new loader (another new loader, that is). The dealer wasn't too happy to hear of the damage in shipping (less than 10 miles from the house and delivered by their guy), but he is replacing it. The dealer is probably the most important factor when it comes to buying a tractor, reguardless of the color. It's kind-of like a marriage, because you'll be seeing a lot of each other, in good times and bad. I concur with the others about which implements you'll be using as well as how much land you'll be "working" (read "playing") /w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif. Trailering is important, too, if you're going to be moving it around. Add the weight of tractor, implements and trailer to determine the gross weight and make sure your tow vehicle will handle it. If not, don't tell the wife until after the dealer delivers the tractor and implements, then gently let her know you now NEED to buy "the diesel truck" you happened to coincidently have mentioned a couple of weeks ago (this is the time you leave the brochure(s) laying out). Best of luck and enjoy the journey.

/ Tractor size #8  
Well........now I'd have to say.......Look around,try some demos,talk to everyone you can. Then once you think you have a size in mind,Go At Least One Size Bigger!!

It's always better to have the power and not need it,then the other way around!!

/ Tractor size #9  
I agree with your advice. You will never hear anyone complain about too much power. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif